Looking for an Article on 45 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dg101win

Single-Sixer
Some time in the past year I read an article by John Taffin or Brian Pearce about facing the rear of a 45ACP cylinder so that 45Auto Rim may be used. Of course the ACP round still headspaced on the cartridge mouth and could still be used it just sat a little further out of the cylinder. I have been searching articles by both men but haven't found it yet.

Does anyone recall this article or had this done?

gunzo

Hunter
The ACP cyl. will need approx. .022" more headspace(the distance from the face of the ratchet to the rear face of the cylinder) than the 45 Colt cyl. has, assuming you have one. That is the published difference in the thickness of Auto Rim & Colt brass.
Different revolvers & brands of brass may vary, so .022" is only a base line.

Your question might get more attention in the Ruger-Smithing section.

rangerbob

Buckeye
dg101win, obviously you handload or you would have no interest in the 45 AR. If a short rimmed cartridge is what you are looking for consider the 45 special that Starline provides. It's an almost identical cartridge that will work in your 45 Colt cylinder with no modifications and mimics the 45AR ballistics with the same powder, bullets, and primers. I load 45 AR for my S&W M21 as it will not shoot any other rimmed round. Bob! :D

dg101win

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
dg101win, obviously you handload or you would have no interest in the 45 AR. If a short rimmed cartridge is what you are looking for consider the 45 special that Starline provides. It's an almost identical cartridge that will work in your 45 Colt cylinder with no modifications and mimics the 45AR ballistics with the same powder, bullets, and primers. I load 45 AR for my S&W M21 as it will not shoot any other rimmed round. Bob! :D

rangerbob thanks for taking the time to comment. :) Someone I know of is thinking about having this done and I was trying to get some info for him. He says he has a boat load of 45AR brass and just wants to be able to use it in his Blackhawk. He does know about the 45 Special.

Thanks

rangerbob

Buckeye
One of my LE buddies and my personal guru on building rifles did this to his Blackhawk 45 Colt/45acp and it shot AR's fine. As suggested, he removed the proper amount from the rear of the cylinder, as he too had a bunch of AR brass. I suspect once modified, one could use moon clips for acp. Of course, one would have to remove the cylinder to load it and remove the cylinder again to unload it. Bob! 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You might look at TK Custom shop
https://www.tkcustom.com/services/machining
as they do lots of machining for moon clips etc. Maybe give them a call.

dg101win

Single-Sixer
" I suspect once modified, one could use moon clips for acp. Of course, one would have to remove the cylinder to load it and remove the cylinder again to unload it. Bob! 8))

If I recall only about 0.022 of an inch comes off the rear of the cylinder. The ACP case would just be sticking out of the chamber a bit more,just like the S&W Model 1917 without the clips.

I will pass on the info about TK Custom.

Thanks

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Rather than going to the expense of facing off the acp cylinder, why not just swap the ar cases for acp cases?

Mtn Biker

Bearcat
I think the article you are remembering was the one Brian Pearce wrote on the then new flat top 45 convertible in Handloader magazine back several years ago.
I have the issue but am at work and will have to look later tonight for the date.
He was wishing the ACP cylinder was cut for the auto rim.
VL

Mtn Biker said:
I think the article you are remembering was the one Brian Pearce wrote on the then new flat top 45 convertible in Handloader magazine back several years ago.
I have the issue but am at work and will have to look later tonight for the date.
He was wishing the ACP cylinder was cut for the auto rim.
VL

That's what I thought, and posted in OP's other thread in the Rugersmithing section. He seems to think there was another more detailed article.