Looking for advice on om single six purchase!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jbissonnette

Bearcat
I saw an old model single six for sale with a 4 5/8 barrel, and it looks to be in great condition, I think the serial # started with 161824 does this sound like a barrel lenth that would be factory correct? Any information would be appreciated!!! I have always wanted a short barreld six!!

contender

Ruger Guru
That serial number is in the range for the Type 2, roundgate .22's as a RSS4W model.
Since the 4-5/8" barreled guns are a bit more desirable,, I'd make sure it left the factory that way.

G2

Hunter
What Contender said would verify, Probably should also check to see if it has been converted to the "Safety Re-Call".

But to be a collector it needs to be in high condition and everything it came with, then you can get the package out of the Safe wipe it down, put it back.
Some find this process very gratifying. :roll:

If it were me; The 4.6" barrel is a desirable length, great packing/hiking length. Built in a time period when Ruger put out quality. I would clean it, shoot it & enjoy it,,, A LOT. :wink:

161824 comes from 1960, and as contender mentions they were making the 4-5/8" guns then. But they were also making the other barrel lengths during that period as well, so getting a factory letter to confirm this one was shipped as a "shorty" is a real good idea.

It's worth noting that the 4-5/8" and 9-1/2" guns were very low-production items, so they are of considerable collector interest. :D

Latest posts