Looking at 30-30

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Well, went to the LGS today and the Henry followed me home. I did have to go back to the range and run a couple dozen through it. Nice. The only hiccup was it didn't particularly like the flat nose bullets I had. Operating the lever with a little authority seemed to help. I will have to pick up a bag of some round nose locally, and then order in quantity to lay in a good supply.

I guess I need to pick up a box of .357 magnum to get some brass. I noticed a LGS had some 4227 and another had some H110. I probably should get one or the other to be ready for hunting season. Looks like the H110 has a little edge on MV, the 4227 is cheaper.

Paul B

Hunter
stevemb said:
Sorry, but I cannot recommend the 30-30 choice for you.

I too would like to see your reasoning. I've been shooting cast bullets in the 30-30 since 1954. They kill deer very nicely in the 1800 to 2000 FPS range. I know cuz I've done it. Seventeen times to be exact, 15 with the Lyman #311291 bullet and two with the RCBS #30-180-GC bullet. Seventeen shots and seventeen deer. No count on the hundreds of jack rabbit who if they could talk would state that the 30-30 works. Load a 120 gr. bullet over 5.0 gr. of Unique and that would be powder enough for 1400 rounds of plinking and small game pleasure. What's not to like? The range of possible loads with the 30-30 are far greater in my opinion than with the .357 Mag. including taking deer sized game at great distance should that be necessary.
Regarding the .357 mag. I never had a rifle but I have take a few deer with the .357 Mag. and even more deer with the .44 Mag.
I can shoot 100 gr. bullets for plinking and up to a 190 gr. bullet (the RCBS) for big game. If I could get close enough to an elk I would not hesitate using the 30-30 and that bullet to do the job.
Paul B.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Clovishound said:
Well, went to the LGS today and the Henry followed me home. I did have to go back to the range and run a couple dozen through it. Nice. The only hiccup was it didn't particularly like the flat nose bullets I had. Operating the lever with a little authority seemed to help. I will have to pick up a bag of some round nose locally, and then order in quantity to lay in a good supply.

I guess I need to pick up a box of .357 magnum to get some brass. I noticed a LGS had some 4227 and another had some H110. I probably should get one or the other to be ready for hunting season. Looks like the H110 has a little edge on MV, the 4227 is cheaper.
I love a happy ending.
Your rifle should cycle flat nosed bullets. Keep fiddling, maybe just be a certain bullet or something minor. Enjoy. :D

Bucks Owin

Hunter
6gun said:
The 30-30 is a high powered hunting rifle excellent for deer and elk hunting, way over kill for plinking.

I happen to disagree. Inexpensive cast bullets at around 1200 fps are accurate plinkers and if you cast them yourself, not much pricier than rimfire these days...(When you can find 'em!)

Also "high powered" and "excellent for elk" is just a wee bit of a stretch don'tcha think? Just my opinion, but I can think of quite a few calibers I'd rather use for a cross canyon shot at a big 6x6 bull... :wink:

Paul B

Hunter
Who said you had to take a cross canyon shot at a bull elk? A person using the 30-30 would probably be a very woods wise hunter just looking for his winter meat. Most of the deer I killed with cast were those little "dog sized" California Blacktail in stuff so thick a 25 to 30 yard shot was average and a 50+ yard shot literally long range. Those Blacktail deer are as wary as any hard hunted Whitetail and I have on occasion done a sneak on an elk that turned out to be a bull and me with a cow tag. :( If I'd had a bull tag and my 30-30 with a 190 gr. cast bullet, I would have taken the shot and then a pile of hard work. Would I have preferred the 30-30 on that occasion? No, but if that was what I had, that's what would have been used. To be honest, even a .300 Win. Mag. across that canyon has dropped down to the level of a 30-30 in velocity, maybe even less.
Paul B.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I won't be shooting any elk here in South Carolina. Neither will I be attempting any cross canyon shots. I might be tempted by a longish shot on one of the fire roads, but really think I need a weapon capable of a snap shot while moving. No way my bull barrel bolt action with a scope will do for a snap shot.

I loaded up some more rounds with a deeper seat this morning. I seated them so the transition was close to the case mouth. I also did a thorough cleaning, concentrating on the feed ramp area. I had only a little trouble today. I found that if I put my fingers all the way at the bottom of the lever and just flick it, they go right in. Not pushing hard, just a quick flick of the wrist.

I think I will order some 158 grain round nose, flat point plated.

Precision32

Blackhawk
For plinking loads, try the lead bullet of you choosing and put it in front of 9 grains of Unique. This is a great load and will not lead the barrel.

6gun

Hunter
Bucks Owin said:
6gun said:
The 30-30 is a high powered hunting rifle excellent for deer and elk hunting, way over kill for plinking.

I happen to disagree. Inexpensive cast bullets at around 1200 fps are accurate plinkers and if you cast them yourself, not much pricier than rimfire these days...(When you can find 'em!)

Also "high powered" and "excellent for elk" is just a wee bit of a stretch don'tcha think? Just my opinion, but I can think of quite a few calibers I'd rather use for a cross canyon shot at a big 6x6 bull... :wink:

I have been know to do lots of plinking with my 30-30's and have used them a lot hunting jack rabbits, it's still over kill but you have to practice some how can't become a good shoot without running lots of rounds through them, but I didn't buy any of my 30-30's just for plinking.

I wish one of the many bullet casting outfits would make a copper plated 150 grain with a cannelure for plinking.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
6gun said:
I have been know to do lots of plinking with my 30-30's and have used them a lot hunting jack rabbits, it's still over kill but you have to practice some how can't become a good shoot without running lots of rounds through them, but I didn't buy any of my 30-30's just for plinking.

I wish one of the many bullet casting outfits would make a copper plated 150 grain with a cannelure for plinking.
Berry's makes them without the cannelure which you don't need with a plated bullet anyway or you could add one yourself. :D

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c34-Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Rifle_Bullets.aspx

6gun

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
6gun said:

Berry's makes them without the cannelure which you don't need with a plated bullet anyway or you could add one yourself. :D

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c34-Berrys_Preferred_Plated_Rifle_Bullets.aspx

I asked Barry's to send me some samples of the bullet about 2 years ago so I could see if I could crimp them without breaking through the thin plating and they refused to send samples, so I refuse to buy from them.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Any of y'all that think that a 358429 out of a lever gun ain't a pretty good huntin' round...well, ya showin' that you just don't have any experience with them.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Paul B said:
To be honest, a .300 Win. Mag. across that canyon has dropped down to the level of 30-30 velocity at the muzzle!
Paul B.

Fixed it for ya... :wink:

ETA...Maybe the USMC should adopt the .30 WCF for sniper use instead of the .300 Winnie huh? :lol:

pps

Single-Sixer
I like the 30-30, and just picked up a Marlin 30-30 from the gun store/range that just moved in across the street from my office. (I hope I don't need to go to Betty Ford clinic as a result of this move)

Cast boolits shoot quite well in this caliber, and it's easy to hand load.

30-30.jpg

Chief 101

Hunter
no disrespect Bucks, but I have harvested Wapiti across the canyon and I have harvested Wapiti from as close as 20ft...Archery, Revolver, and long range magnum rifle...30WCF is not my choice, but a good hunter will make it work...

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I wanna get my hands on a RCBS 30 150 CM that drops a barefoot bullet for 30/30 plinking use. Bet I can get some surprising fps without a gascheck...

If anyone has one for sale... :wink:

blueroan

Bearcat
Lever guns can be a little finicky about boolit types. 358156 feeds good in my 357 MARLINS; 358429 not so good if crimped in the crimp groove in magnum brass. A round nose/flat point of varying weights works better for me...358667(?) or my NOE 360-180-WFN. Similar designs for my 44 magnums and similar results.

I am getting started in 30/30 and cast. 311041 gas check and a plain base clone.

Watch gunbroker for once fired brass. (One vendor showed a grain bin, complete with scoop shovel, full of 45/70s.) Talk to co-workers and relatives; they all pick up their brass even if they don't reload. Since I retired and joined the gun club...lost my private range in the divorce...I've been picking up range brass...mostly 9 mm, 40 S&W, with some .223 and 45 ACP.

Go visiting over at castboolits. Do a search for gmdr and access a ton of reduced lead boolit load data in multiple calibers.

Tom W

Blackhawk
Go to the local gun range before deer season. There's a LOT of people who will be sighting in their rifles and leaving their brass lay... Once fired brass, free for the picking....