LONG OVERDUE! - SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
Ruger has been up to bat so many times only to walk, bunt, and strike out in their attempt to create a semiauto that would garner the respect among a large swath of the shooting community. Well, it looks as if Ruger has finally hit a homerun, and has knocked the ball right out of the ball park! That homerun is their SR9C.
I've read so many good posts in this forum from a great number of guys who love this new offering from Ruger. And while I don't own a SR9c yet, this ol' flinty hearted and oft' critic of Ruger P Series, has his own sights set on aquiring
one of these new gizmoes too!

A.W.

Mike J

Hunter
They do seem to be gaining popularity. I would like to get one myself but it might be a while. I thought it was interesting recently when I was on another firearms forum that is not brand oriented & several members there were singing its praises.

haroldg48

Bearcat
I own pistols from Beretta, Walther, Kimber and Ruger. I also own several S&W wheelguns. I have been shooting handguns for 30 years. My Beretta 92 and my Kimber custom are both great, accurate, absolutely dependable firearms (as are all my wheelguns) BUT for the combination of shoot-ability, conceal-ability, reliability and capacity, I vote for the SR9c.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Anthony Williams said:
Ruger has been up to bat so many times only to walk, bunt, and strike out in their attempt to create a semiauto that would garner the respect among a large swath of the shooting community. Well, it looks as if Ruger has finally hit a homerun, and has knocked the ball right out of the ball park! That homerun is their SR9C.
I've read so many good posts in this forum from a great number of guys who love this new offering from Ruger. And while I don't own a SR9c yet, this ol' flinty hearted and oft' critic of Ruger P Series, has his own sights set on aquiring
one of these new gizmoes too!

A.W.

Anthony, I have noticed that you have commented in an encouraging manner about my reports and modifications of my new SR9c. I have certainly appreciated your acumen and insight. I incorrectly assumed that you were already a happy SR9c owner. I can only suggest that you cease sitting on the sideline and jump in.... pick up one of Ruger's recent home runs..... get yourself a SR9c. You won't regret it.

Cheers,
boomer :)

The critter is tempting... I'm just not sure I'm willing to give up my hammer or my double/single action pistol yet.

Can somebody explain to me the exact function of these glock type double triggers... I know they have some kind of safety feature... so that you don't accidently shoot yourself or some one else... but for the life of me I can't figure them out... why would an accidental pull on that trigger... say with a tree branch or such be any different than a regular trigger?

Cottonbaler

Bearcat
I just picked mine up today at Shooter's in Racine, I ordered the blue one. I was looking for a single stack nine and could not find one and the Hans showed me the SR9c and it fit really good. So I bought one.

EYEMAN

Bearcat
I originally purchased my SR9C to be my truck gun and replace my Glock 19. I have 2 Kimber 1911s, one full size and one compact and I find myself picking up the SR9C more and more for carry. It just has such a good feel to it. When I mention this outside of a forum such as this, it is recommended that I should seek professional help. My wife said it is not normal for a guy to sit around and fondle a handgun.

Mike J

Hunter
The Glock style trigger is supposed to keep the trigger being pulled by something pushing against it sideways. You can not pull it unless the little thingamajig in the middle is pushed back.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
The critter is tempting... I'm just not sure I'm willing to give up my hammer or my double/single action pistol yet.

Can somebody explain to me the exact function of these glock type double triggers ?

GLOCK SAFE ACTION: TRIGGER SAFETY AND FIRING PIN SAFETY
Hey blume, a tree branch inside of the trigger guard will still fire the Glock...IF the trigger safety is depressed as the trigger is pulled. The trigger safety is that little "bump" in the front-center of the trigger that pivots. Just pulling the trigger itself, without depressing that trigger safety, will not fire the gun. That safety (along with the firing pin safety) was designed to prevent the gun from firing if someone accidentally drops the firearm or something enters the trigger guard.
The trigger safety is designed so as not to interfere with the normal pulling of the trigger. The trigger safety is low mass (plastic), moves easily, and pivots when pulled, thus allowing the trigger to be pulled through and subsequently firing the gun. If you try to pull the trigger by pulling on it from either side of that trigger safety, you'll find that the trigger does not move back at all...as designed.
In addition, there is a metallic firing pin safety that is moved up and "out-of-the-way" by movement of a vertical extension on the trigger bar itself. Once the firing pin safety is pushed up and out of the way by pulling the trigger, then the striker (firing pin) channel is clear and the gun can fire.
Of course, the whole thing is much easier to understand by seeing a diagram.
Sonnytoo

NixieTube

Blackhawk
If you look at the "tongue" in the middle of the trigger on an SR9 or an SR9c, you see that it's just a piece of plastic that serves one purpose and one purpose only:

It prevents the trigger from moving toward the frame unless the *entire trigger* is being pulled, through the center. Meaning that it cannot move rearward if it is just "brushed" rearward from either side. I think it's just a little plastic shoe that doesn't touch anything else in the firing mechanism.

For example, if you snag the left or right hand side of the trigger without also retracting the tongue, the tongue's extension blocks the rearward movement of the rest, by running into the interior surface of the trigger guard.

It is not connected *mechanically* anywhere else in the firing mechanism of the pistol on the SR9 nor to my knowledge the SR9c. It just works to make sure you are pulling the "whole trigger" - not just a portion of it accidentally.

Of course, everyone knows that the way to make sure you're not pulling the trigger is to keep your finger out of the trigger guard, but Glock stuck it in there and then Ruger did too, in addition to the manual safety.

It didn't stop the guy in the classroom setting from shooting himself in the foot (literally), because he didn't check if the chamber was loaded. Truthfully, nothing will unless you really practice safe handling. All guns are loaded. All the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE3QAeYRk-A

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
I have the SR9c and a Taurus 709 with the same firing pin safety in the trigger. My best friend has the same safety on a Glock. From reading about it I concluded that most pistols safe the hammer or striker. The extra safety on the trigger safes or blocks the firing pin and that's mainly to prevent AD from drops. The original SR9 would/could AD if dropped.

A trigger pull is a trigger pull and the gun goes bang. But drop safety keeps the hammer or striker from ever reaching the firing pin. Putting it in the trigger was just a simple effective approach.

George

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
NixieTube said:
It prevents the trigger from moving toward the frame unless the *entire trigger* is being pulled, through the center. Meaning that it cannot move rearward if it is just "brushed" rearward from either side. I think it's just a little plastic shoe that doesn't touch anything else in the firing mechanism ....
Not exactly, at least the way I have always understood it. The little "tongue" exists to keep the trigger from making rearward movement in the event of a drop or fall. The idea is that without it, the trigger could have enough momentum from the fall to "pull" itself. The tongue makes this impossible.

I don't think even Gaston Glock could keep a straight face while trying to explain how this is to protect against something brushing the side of the trigger (not the face), setting it off. As a true safety device you're much more likely to get clothing or a foreign object inside the trigger guard, which would yield the little tongue absolutely useless.

Not bashing Glocks (I've owned several and still have one), but I wouldn't try to ascribe any higher motive to this "safety feature" than satisfying the "number of safeties" requirement of some states. It makes you (or the gun) no more "safe" than the useless mag safety in a modern Ruger.

-- Sam

I certainly like the 2 SR9's I've got but the SR9c is sure to be my next one. I am looking forward to carrying it as often as I do my revolver. If it's half as accurate as it's bigger brother it will be a home run. Point of fact is that all the guns Ruger has brought out recently (even with their small faux paus) have been homeruns and very well accepted. The little LCP I understand in just over a year and a half has sold about a half million guns. Who does that???

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam said:
NixieTube said:
It prevents the trigger from moving toward the frame unless the *entire trigger* is being pulled, through the center. Meaning that it cannot move rearward if it is just "brushed" rearward from either side. I think it's just a little plastic shoe that doesn't touch anything else in the firing mechanism ....
Not exactly, at least the way I have always understood it.

That also makes a lot of sense. I don't know what kind of misfire data they get back on their pistols, but I'm sure the truth is in there...somewhere ;)

"Did you drop it or did you really accidentally pull it while you were practicing? Ya know, when you kinda got your finger in there but not really?" etc., etc.

It'd be interesting to see how hard you really have to slam the gun (I won't say drop) whether it's a Ruger or a Glock to make it fire because of rearward trigger movement without the little tongue being there to prevent it. My guess is that you'd have to really, really whack it hard. I just find it hard to believe the inertia of the trigger mechanism is enough to cause the gun to go off, even if it is dropped, even without the new safety tongue, unless you wanted it to -- really badly. I guess if you slammed it down with Kung-fu velocity, because you really hated the pistol and wanted to create a nonexistant safety issue that Ruger would have to recall all the guns because of, maybe. And let's make no mistake: there are probably lots of other people who manufacture guns and work on them who really weren't all that happy about Ruger producing the SR9. Particularly not where they were selling it in terms of price or geography.

I have always had a feeling that the initial SR9 recall was caused by someone who deliberately mishandled the pistol, to force Ruger to recall it. I haven't ever heard anything to the contrary, and it would be interesting to really know.

In the meantime, that's probably a more useful explanation than mine.

And yes, where I live the "number of safeties" requirement probably leads the nation in terms of dictating what you can buy. What's coming next are biometric permissive action links on guns of any kind.

In the next 10 years as the technology develops and the Attorneys General in states like Massachusetts become insistent upon adopting it, handguns *and* long guns sold to the public are going to be digital, and they are going to be fireable by the owner only, upon confirmation by the gun (and the police) that it was fired by the person the gun was licensed to. It's going to happen in Massachusetts as surely as the sun rises in the East. Remember that Massachusetts isn't just one of the stomping grounds of the biggest gun-grabbers in the country: there are also a lot of MIT engineers here. And politics makes very strange bedfellows.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_patents_biometric_heartbeat_sensor/

Apple has patented a mechanism for validating the owner of its technology through their heartbeat. Actually what it is doing is much closer to taking a fingerprint of the user through the "acoustics" of their circulatory system. You know how doctors stick all those little tabs onto you when taking an ECG? Steve Jobs has had a lot of ECGs in the past 10 years and he didn't waste any thinking while he had the time. It turns out that you can do something similar to that with a device that someone is holding in their hands. And everyone is unique. It's coming to their iPhones and other devices soon. When it does, and if it is successful, you had better believe that restrictive AGs are going to start demanding it is a part of every gun made for sale in their state.

I can read the op-ed article now:

"Why do we allow people to buy guns that can be fired by anyone other than their owners? Recently, an 11 year old girl in Worcester, Sandra Dominiguez, a Girl Scout and an up-and-coming cheerleader at her local school, was talking on her biometric iPhone, which uniquely identified her and prevented anyone else from using it. It fell from her hands and onto the floor in a pool of blood when her 16 year old brother shot her to death while accidentally firing a gun that was owned by his father. It's time that all guns people own have better mechanisms to absolutely stop these tragedies. Our children's cellphones will protect them better than the guns in their own households, but right now guns are run amok here in Massachusetts. Anyone can use them and anyone can fire them to kill anyone with them, but even things like cellphones we give to children don't allow that. Please text message the Attorney General to insist that she require biometric permissive action links on every gun owned in the Commonwealth, so that at the very least this kind of tragedy can never happen again."

That's going to make a very persuasive media soundbite where I live, and it's going to happen sooner than later. Gun enthusiasts are going to be sitting there talking about this little piece of plastic or metal thingamabob on their gun, or a tiny little tab that presses up on a lever somewhere, 19th century technology, and the guys with the electrical engineering degrees are going to be employed designing permissive action links for the guns and the bullets that won't let you fire the gun unless all the conditions are met, period.

Apologies for getting a bit far afield. ;) It is my centennial post.

DogBone

Bearcat
Actually, the trigger safety predates the Glock pistol by many decades.

For example check out the trigger on my c. 1900 .32 caliber Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works revolver.

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-2.jpg
_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-1.jpg

NixieTube

Blackhawk
DogBone said:
Actually, the trigger safety predates the Glock pistol by many decades.

For example check out the trigger on my c. 1900 .32 caliber Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works revolver.

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-2.jpg
_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-1.jpg

See, there's always someone who knows more than you do. That's really neat.

raw6464

Bearcat
NixieTube said:
It'd be interesting to see how hard you really have to slam the gun (I won't say drop) whether it's a Ruger or a Glock to make it fire because of rearward trigger movement without the little tongue being there to prevent it. My guess is that you'd have to really, really whack it hard. I just find it hard to believe the inertia of the trigger mechanism is enough to cause the gun to go off, even if it is dropped, even without the new safety tongue, unless you wanted it to -- really badly. I guess if you slammed it down with Kung-fu velocity, because you really hated the pistol and wanted to create a nonexistant safety issue that Ruger would have to recall all the guns because of, maybe. And let's make no mistake: there are probably lots of other people who manufacture guns and work on them who really weren't all that happy about Ruger producing the SR9. Particularly not where they were selling it in terms of price or geography.

You can drop a Glock off the Empire State bldg and it won't go off. When in it's Stage 1 (ready to fire) status not only is the firing pin being blocked by the firing pin safety release pin, the striker is blocked to release by a drop safety block on the frame until the trigger is pulled with a 5lb pull... Stage 2. So you have 3 safeties, the trigger release, the safety pin release and the drop block safety... all three are released sequentially as you pull the trigger.

In the "cocked" position (Stage 1) the striker is essentially only half cocked. It needs a 5lb pull to fully cock the gun. Here's a graphic illustration on how it works. http://www.genitron.com/Basics/Glock23/P2Glock.html

BGdown

Bearcat
It is simply a great gun.

I have put 800 rounds through mine. Never a FTF, FTL, FTE.

Handles great. Very manageable recoil on a 3.5" barrel!! Small. Rugged. 100% reliable...OH AND IT LOOKS AWESOME!!!

If you think you need a Glock for reliability you are really missing a great opportunity in my opinion. If you just like Glocks..great...but this thing is a tank!

Latest posts