Loading .327 Federal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JR5

Bearcat
Does anyone have a good .327 load using a 100 grain, .313 dia., lead RNFP? Got a bunch them and need a suggestion on how to use 'em. I have a fair amount of HP-38 and W231 on hand. I also have some limited amount of Titegroup available.
All suggestions appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
Depends on how hard the lead is....
But I would only use 231 with softer lead ..
My guess would be to use a slower burning powder (H110) with a hard lead bullet
especially in that caliber.. a hot one !

I don't load the .327 but I do load the .32mag and 10.2 gr of H-110 with a 95 gr
hard (18 BHN) works great (no leading) for about 1100 fps
I believe the allowable pressure in the .327 is close to twice that of the .32mag
Wish I had one of those .327 !

JR5

Bearcat
Thanks guys your help is advice is appreciated.

FrontSite--- the cast lead bullets are produced and sold by Vance in Coumbus. Any idea what their hardness might be? The H110 is a good idea and I have used it on 90 grn 32s as well. Where would you start with the H110 for .327 ? 9 grains? My .327 is a GP 100. Most of my use has been on 32's --- because .327 brass & ammo are as sparse as it's reloading data.

Thanks Again-- Jack

dougader

Hunter
I don't have it in front of me, but Brian Pearce wrote a nice article in Handloader mag some time back and he covers 32 mag and 327 Federal in the article. Looked it up: Handloader No. 270 (Feb 2011).

The 327 Federal runs around 45k psi and Speer has some data on their website for their 115 grain Gold Dot HP. Speer lists 12.0 grains of H110 as their start charge with the 115 gdhp; max is 13.0 and is a compressed load. They use Federal 205 small rifle primers with this data.

In 32 mag, Brian lists a max load of 11.8 grains H110/W296 with the Hornady 100 grain xtp-hp. I have loaded W296 to that level and my little 32 Vaquerito handles it easily. I used CCI small pistol magnum primers in my work up.

more info here:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=158376&p=1593057#p1593057

Here's a link to the Speer data:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/327_Fe ... taFile.pdf

Just in case that link doesn't get you there, you can find it on the bottom of this page:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/whatsnew/n ... _data.aspx

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=129354

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=110165

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
JR5,

Hey a fellow Buckeye?

I had bought some of those bullets from Vance years ago and I think they were marked "Patriot Bullets" on the box. The ones I had were for .45 cal so I was shooting them a lot slower with some Universal powder but with my Lee Hardness tester they tested abt 11.8 BHN

Thats going to be a little soft for H-110 but you might try some at the lower end and see if you get any leading. From my experence that hardness would be more in the HS-6, Power Pistol range. I'm not sure how this translates to the .327 It could be just the wrong bullet for that caliber.

That's great to know Starline is now making brass .. I had not checked their website for a while. The only thing really stopping me from getting a .327 was being able to reload for it. FWIW I shoot a 95gr Penn bullet (16 BHN) in my 32's with H-110 and find it to be a great combo

Dougader... thanks for the ref on Handloader .. I looked it up and read it again.

FrontSite

JR5

Bearcat
FrontSite:

Thanks on the hardness tip! I am beginning to have second thoughts on how much cast I want to run through the GP100. I really don't mind cleaning a revolver, particularly stainless--- however getting the lead out can become tedious.

Yes I am from the greater Lima area (out in the farm country).

Thanks Again.

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
JR5... Don't get me wrong .. you can shoot cast in the .327 .. just maybe not that cast
It may shoot fine in the .327 but at a slower than optimal speed for that cal.

The Penn bullets I shoot in the 32 mag are rated at 1600 fps max and I have shot some
at close to 1400 with no leading issues.

When working up a load I always make up 6-12 at a time and shoot with the chrono.
Then do a regular brush cleaning with Hoppes (about 20 passes). I look in the
bore with a good bore light. There should be no leading. When I find the "No leading" range
then I start on accuracy. May have to start all over with another powder.. but this is what
I like to do the most... find that sweet spot !

I've only been to the downtown Vance once but usually stop at the Buckeye Lake location
when running to Columbus.

FrontSite

JR5

Bearcat
FrontSite:

Based on your introduction, I just took a view into the Penn Bullet website. A lot of good material there to absorb, but I better understand what you are telling me.

I seldom get to Vance's directly. On occasion, some distributor brings a variety of their products to the Tri-State Collectors Gun Show.

JR5

Bearcat
One other quick question: What size/kind of primers do you use on your .32/.327 reloads?

FrontSite

Single-Sixer
I've tried both reg & mag primers depending on the powder
but no big diff in accuracy.

FrontSite

JR5

Bearcat
Yeah-- I have using reg because that's what I have available. I have read others that say no major difference, the same as you. I was curious as to your your experience, particularly with cast lead.

Thanks,

VA Shooter

Single-Sixer
I shoot cast 115 gr out of my GP 100 from mild to wild and have had no issues with leading, I try to stay between 12 and 16 BHN. I have found alot of good information on the Reloading pages of M .D. Smith. Google it and you will find a good amount of loads for the 327

32magfan

Blackhawk
I shoot a 115 gr RNFP cast from WW out of my 3 .327's. I load it with 3.7 gr Clays (Hodgdon's max)and a standard Small Pistol Primer. It runs an honest 1,000 fps out of my 5.5" BlackHawk, 950 or so from the GP100 and 875 or so from the SP101. No leading issues.

I shoot the same bullet in 32H&R with 4.0 gr Red Dot.

If you are looking at max velocity from the smallest powder charge, try Longshot. I have loaded a few of these with 100 gr XTP's but no lead bullets yet.

Reloading is really the only way to go with these .32's. I find it quite challenging trying new things but mainly stick with the cheap, cast loads for plinking.

Good luck,

32Magfan