Suggestions for 327 Federal Load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2ManyRugers

Bearcat
I'm working with a new to me 327 single seven, I have Federal brass, factory Hornady XTP 85 grain bullets. Any suggested loads that will help me get on paper with it. Not looking for top end, more looking for a known accurate load. Thanks.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, as it's often discovered,, what works great in one person's gun may not be worth a hoot in another one just like it. Each gun is an individual machine unto itself. It's why it's always recommended to use a couple of good reloading manuals,, and start low & work up a load for YOUR gun from known data.

That said,, I've found that MY 327's prefer a heavier bullet.

Johnnu2

Hunter
From my limited experience with the 327 Fed. Mag., I would expect flattened primers with almost any, and all loads (at least that is what I have experienced; and, I don't load hot in any caliber/cartridge).

J.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
327 is inherently accurate and not a finicky round. Most all loads work well .
First part of that equation is what powders do you have to work with?

2ManyRugers

Bearcat
Thank you. After digging into this, I probably need heavier bullets to really take advantage of this cartridge. I have H110, both power and sport pistol, 2400 and bullseye but not much else for higher power handgun powder. My Hornady 10th edition reloading guide has no page for 327. I don't happen to have the powders that Hodgdon recommends for the 85 grain bullet. Alliant has a few recipes for 2400 and Sport pistol but with heavier bullets than I have. I'm going to start with some high end 32 HnR loads under the 85 grain to get a feel for it.

JCK

Single-Sixer
The load I've settled on in my Single-7 is:
.327 case
Small pistol primers
Lee 113gr RFN-GC @0.314" (aluminum taped mold)
10.0gr #2400

It's not a max or "hot" load, but has plenty of bark and bite!
With a small rifle primer, you can go as high as 11.5gr. A small pistol primer will flatten, and crater, extruding into the firing pin hole.
For top velocity, use a SRP, and H110.

For .32HRM level loads, use 4.5 LongShot, BlueDot, or Unique in a .327case.
I Like 11.2gr of Lil'Gun under a 100gr XTP in a .32HRM case.