Lipsey's 1S 26" Barrel .45-70 is a "C" weigh

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Just got mine out and they are "C" weight barrels!
This is not a true 1S, as it is really a 1H with the "C" weight barrel 26" long.
Those of you have been at it a time know that the first(1967) S26M cataloged rifles were a 26" "B" weight barrel. When the system came out in 1970, the 2 models of the "B" with a 26" barrel were the 1B( Beavertail and no sights) and the 1S( Alex Henry and sights). The 1S was also available as a 22" barrel .45/70 very early.
The first 1H's had a "C" weight barrel in the .375 H&H and a "D" weight barrel in the .458 WM.
Wood on the ones I have are typical average for the Boddington Series, with the same checkering pattern. The rifle handles quite well.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings No. 1

Thanks for the info, but I still want the 26" model in stainless. Also, I got the impression that 250 is a normal run, so where are the other 125 guns???? Could they be stainless waiting in the back room????? Inquiring minds want to know, or could I be mistaken about the number??? :oops:

Mike 8)

chet15

Hawkeye
Most distributors usually get half a run to see how well they go, in this case the 125 would be right on.
No....the exclusive is for the blue version. Stainless would not be in the cards on this one.
Chet15

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
No plans for stainless on this one right now. Usually its 250 for Number 1 specials, but there are exceptions. This run is 125 with the option to do another 125 in the future. Thanks for checking that barrel Lee. I suspected it was a "C" contour.

Major T

Blackhawk
Lee, Hope you still have one or more in Dallas. If I were home, I would just come down and not wait, but I am doing farm and ranch duty in the Panhandle this week while S-I-L does a cotton tour to Georgia and Florida. Not really much to do except keep the irrigation systems going and make sure the windmills keep the cows in water and see that they get a little supplement. S-I-L does not overgraze, so unlike many ranchers he is not short on grasses, it is just drying out. Back on track, I think the C weight barrel may be ideal. Good day, Jack

mrbumps

Blackhawk
Ruger does list the rifle on their web site as Catalog # 1-S-C. I thought that the C was for the Circassian wood, but maybe it is for the "C" barrel?

They also list the weight at 7.25 lbs. I am assuming it is actually heavier than that?

http://ruger.com/products/no1DE/specSheets/11365.html

Jason at Lipsey's

Single-Sixer
The 7.25 lbs weight is the 22" model. I put several on the scale here and they all came out at 8lbs. give or take an ounce. The "C" on the designation stands for circassion. Ruger has two grades of circassion and this is the grade 1. The checkering pattern is the same as the Boddington Series which I do like better than the standard checkering. We have 21 left of the original 125 as of this afternoon.

KTMADV

Bearcat
So , what is a C weight barrel? I pick mine up tomorrow , my 1st no1 :D

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
The quickest, simplest explanation I can offer is that: the 1A has an "A" weight barrel; the 1B has a "B" weight barrel; the .375 H&H 1H has a "C" weight barrel, and the .458WM 1H has a "D" weight barrel.
You will like it!
Welcome to the RugerForum.

KTMADV

Bearcat
El Numero Uno said:
The quickest, simplest explanation I can offer is that: the 1A has an "A" weight barrel; the 1B has a "B" weight barrel; the .375 H&H 1H has a "C" weight barrel, and the .458WM 1H has a "D" weight barrel.
You will like it!
Welcome to the RugerForum.

Thanks!!

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
The more I read, the better it sounds! And I still have all the reloading stuff left over from the Marlin I tried in the late 70s. Never, ever, get rid of such things. You never know when you might want them, 30 years later. For instance, I found 5 boxes of Sierra bullets with a $3.95 price tag........and I would bet they were bought on sale, knowing me!!! :mrgreen:

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
Have always wanted a #1 in 45-70 but did not like the 22" barrel, think the 26" barrel makes a much more graceful gun, and like the idea of the upgraded wood.

For any of yo who has bought one of these, what has the street price been thru your gun dealer?

Want to get an idea to see if this will be possible on my end.

Thanks!

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
Picked mine up yesterday. My buddy decided he wanted one, but they are all gone. Really like the feel of this one. The longer, heavier barrel makes it hang right. They should have offered this as an option all the time. The stock doesn't have much color, but I think that is normal for Circassian. The multi-point checkering pattern does set it off quite well. Looking forward to shooting this one.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I picked up mine yesterday too. I also have a 1-S, and the first thing I noticed was how much heavier looking the barrel was. The grain in the Circassian is pretty straight, but I like the overall lightness of the wood in contrast to the blue. Can't wait to shoot it.

Belt Fed

Single-Sixer
I got mine today and I really like it! This is what Ruger should have offered for the 45-70 to start with. I really like the heavier barrel and the 26" length. I would have preferred black walnut over circassian but at least its not laminated.