Lil’Gun and 32 H&R Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

settup6

Bearcat
I just tried some Lli'Gun for the first time, 11gr with 85gr plated flat nose bullets. I tried both small pistol primers and small rifle primers, I picked up a box when I couldn't find anything else on the shelf. The gun is an early Single-six with a 5 3/4" barrel. Both loads were the same and both primers were fine, similar recoil and minor signs of flattening of primers. Very accurate, but there was extra smoke and some unburnt powder.

As I said, first experience with this powder, I'm wondering if I should try magnum primers to get a more consistent burn or is this a characteristic of Lil'Gun?

Thanks,

settup6

settup6

Bearcat
Internet wisdom says keep Lil"Gun away from revolvers. It WILL burn the barrel face off the end of your forcing cone.
Also, most guys end up at Lil'Gun chasing velocity. Those plated bullets are not good at that and are plinking bullets at best.
Thanks for the reply. I saw the recipes on Hodgdons site and have been told it's good to try to run slower burning, case filling powders with magnum cartridges. But, I didn't do any research on the powder itself, and it always pays to make informed decisions. I did notice immediately that something was off and really wasn't impressed with the smoke and the incomplete burn. I'm glad you got me to pump the brakes on this powder.

I do like the plated bullets for target practice, saving a little money, and getting a complete burn from Lil'Gun would be maxing them out for sure. Always lessons to be learned on this reloading hobby, and I appreciate learning them before damage gets done.

Thanks again!

settup6

Bearcat
I'll save Lil gun for my 357 carbine loads but I've become a fan of Longshot for 32 h&r loads with a 100 gr cast powder-coated projectile.
Thanks! I'll look into that and then see if I can find any on a shelf, which can be a problem these day. I've got a Rossi in 357 and that'll be a good place to use up that jug of powder.

Star43

Blackhawk
I just tried some Lli'Gun for the first time, 11gr with 85gr plated flat nose bullets. I tried both small pistol primers and small rifle primers, I picked up a box when I couldn't find anything else on the shelf. The gun is an early Single-six with a 5 3/4" barrel. Both loads were the same and both primers were fine, similar recoil and minor signs of flattening of primers. Very accurate, but there was extra smoke and some unburnt powder.

As I said, first experience with this powder, I'm wondering if I should try magnum primers to get a more consistent burn or is this a characteristic of Lil'Gun?

Thanks,

settup6
You probably mean 5 1/2 in barrel, correct. That is the gun I have and I love it. If yours is an early one, it is probably an '84 or an "85, like mine. To me the the Single Six is the perfect gun for the 32 H&R Mag caliber. Although to be honest, I shoot mostly 32 Longs I mine. It's a real fun gun. 🙂

settup6

Bearcat
You probably mean 5 1/2 in barrel, correct. That is the gun I have and I love it. If yours is an early one, it is probably an '84 or an "85, like mine. To me the the Single Six is the perfect gun for the 32 H&R Mag caliber. Although to be honest, I shoot mostly 32 Longs I mine. It's a real fun gun. 🙂
I think I rounded up on the measurement. lol
It's an '84, I started loading the 32 H&R mag after I found some brass when I was looking for some 327 mag components. It wasn't long and I was looking for a single-six and I really like it, and yes 32 Longs are fun!

Star43

Blackhawk
I had picked up a pound to try with a 350 Legend, but guess I ought to take a look at how it might work with my Rossi, also!
:)
I have a 357 stainless model 971 Rossi from Interarms about 1990 or 91. That gun is more than solidly well built. I don't know much of today's Rossi since Taurus took it over mostly on the revolver side.....but those older guns that Interarms brought over are good guns !! 🙂

I shoot the 32 Longshot loads from a 4 5/8 Single Seven and a 1 7/8 LCR 327. I haven't chrono'd them yet but they are really accurate with mild recoil, especially compared to the 327 loads. I load them hotter than book but no pressure signs. I'll chrono them next time I have it set up but I'll take accuracy over speed in most instances.

The 327 cylinders are very slightly longer than the 32 cylinders.

Star43

Blackhawk
I shoot the 32 Longshot loads from a 4 5/8 Single Seven and a 1 7/8 LCR 327. I haven't chrono'd them yet but they are really accurate with mild recoil, especially compared to the 327 loads. I load them hotter than book but no pressure signs. I'll chrono them next time I have it set up but I'll take accuracy over speed in most instances.

The 327 cylinders are very slightly longer than the 32 cylinders.
Yes, they are slightly longer. As far as accuracy over speed. I agree, and it's also less stress and wear on the gun, any gun for that matter.

Latest posts