Lifetime hunting, fishing license

Help Support Ruger Forum:

In Alaska we can get a free lifetime hunting, fishing, trapping, etc license. Not sure what age that starts, but know I'm way beyond the age. And I've been back over a year so I qualify.

I've also got a permanent license plate, and going to put in for a tax exemption for property tax. It's not completely free but about half the price of what it would normally be. I need to find out what else I get.

The snow is a pain, over 80" so far this year, but I like the other benefits.

Free hunting / fishing for residents 65+ is common in many states. FL and GA both allow 65+ residents to hunt for free.

I purchased lifetime licenses for Georgia and Louisiana when I lived in each state. This investment has saved me a few grand. GA charges non-residents $350 / season to deer hunt, my lifetime license cost me $375. I have hunted in GA while residing in FL for 5 seasons. I have hunted and fished numerous times in LA since 2008 as a non-resident, the best $500 I have spent.

I still kick myself for not buying a lifetime AL license when I lived there in the early 90's, it would have cost $300.

Turned 65 back in August, bought my Virginia lifetime hunting and fishing license (including saltwater and trout) and lifetime National Parks pass that day, less than $100 each. Would still need to buy annual big game and national park damage stamp if I utilize public lands but I have not hunted or fished except as land owner for years.
But I plan to expand my outdoor expeditions after I retire next spring and lifetime licenses will save me $$ in the long run.

Missouri has 65+ free hunt/fish license BUT anything else costs same as younger folks. Bunny cops are few and far between around here and I only hunt local private owned land so much less likely to cross paths so I haven't interacted with them for a while. I did attempt to work with MDC on their newest deer management project but local bunny cop was just too busy to meet with me. :poop:
I did encounter a quirk in Missouri's regulations: I don't have to buy a hunt/fish license BUT I have to buy a hunting/trapping license to sell a bobcat to a fur buyer. WTH?? Before I turned 65, I used to to trap and sell raccoons as a 'landowner' w/o any sort of license/permit (still can) but according to the written regulations, that's not an option for bobcats. As written, I can kill them but not sell the carcass or hide. (Again WTH??) Is the state just that proud of the big time turkey destroying feline?
Maybe there's only a handful of folks like me in the state and not worth altering regs to accommodate?

contender

Ruger Guru
Decades ago,, (about 45 years ago I believe,) NC started offering Lifetime Sportsman's License. An adult was $300,, and an infant under 1 yr old was $100.
I bought my newborn son his Lifetime in 1982. I also bought my Lifetime's as well. Never regretted it. And as it always does,, the costs have gone up. Haven't had to buy a license since 1982.

Paul B

Hunter
I could have ought one early one when I moved to Arizona but waited until I hit 65 years old. Got it for free. Only money I had to spend was for tags which had to be by draw. Don't draw 90% of the time so I said, "To hell with it." and started hunting out of state on a regular basis. Started that in 2009 and my last hunt was in January 2019. Landowner tags eliminated the hassle of drawing a tag plus I had the benefit of a guide who knew where the game was.
The bad part of hunting in AZ is while only 10% of tags are supposed to go to non-residents, that didn't explain why there were a lot more non-resident license plate up in the Kaibab/Arizona strip area than residents. Those are the two best areas for trophy class Mule Deer in the state. Seems to me the state does not cheat fair.
Paul B.

Reactions: MZ5
It's a racket to 'pay forward' (or gather funds up front). Encourage Grandpa to buy the grandkids a lifetime hunting license and then the kids leave the state after school. DING DING KACHING. Money today for something that's never used!!!
I didn't/don't have a very high regard for MDC due to some extremely poor (IMHO) decisions that have been foisted upon MO landowners in the previous 20 years. Since Grandson has started working there, I'm even less pleased after he relates the extravagance and waste that goes on unbeknownst to the general public.

Oregon has a Pioneer Hunting and Fishing License. Up til our last governor, it was free. She decided we will now pay 6-bucks each year for our free license.

Requirements... 65 years of age and a resident of Oregon for at least 50 years.

There's not much we can hunt without an additional tag or permit, and the tags or permits are still full price, except elk, which is discounted to 26-dollars from 49.50.

Last edited:
^^^Basically same as MO except for the long term residency. In reality, us 'old folks' aren't too hard on the small game populations but there are quite a few old fishermen. It does make a good publicity ad though.
I haven't seen a gamebird (pheasant or quail) since last spring and very few rabbits so about the only 'game' to hunt using the free license is squirrel and Grouch Attack refuses to cook them.
My primary use of the free hunting permit is coyote hunting and 90% of that is on my own property where I don't need a permit so very little benefit.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I bought a lifetime hunting license when I lived in Kansas expecting to get back there with resident permissions. I live in Texas. I did last year with an over the counter muzzleloader tag.

W64UXky.jpg

dannyd

Hunter
I purchased a lifetime license for my grandson here in Florida when he 6 months old. He will be 18 this year.

Latest posts