Leupold low rings for M77 (scope clearance)?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Good day,

I would like to find out from the guys that have used low Leupold rings on their M77s whether there is enough clearance for a 40mm scope?

Thanks

Pieter

robertkirksey

Blackhawk
You need to also consider the diameter of the ocular end for bolt clearance. I recently bought a long action 77 with low factory rings and the bolt handle would rub the scope if if was lifted to the top of it's "wobble" radius. It also did not leave a lot of finger room but the center of the reticle was perfectly placed. I will get a scope with a smaller ocular diameter.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
Not positive on the 40MM, but, I had a Leupold FX II 6X36MM on a Ruger Hawkeye short action .308. Using Leupold low rings, there was not much room left between the objective and barrel. Depending on the scope length and long or short action, the objective bell may be right over the barrel shank.

Just as a side note, Ruger low rings are slightly higher than Leupold lows.

350Rem

Bearcat
I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye chambered in 35 Whelen.
I am running a Leupold 6x42 in Ruger LOW rings with just enough space to slide a 3x5 card between the bell and barrel.
Your 40mm will be just fine in lows.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
BlackEagle said:
Don't know if this will help since the 7mag is a long action. This is my .308 M77 with a Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm AO scope. There is almost 1/8" between the scope and barrel at the closest point. The rings are Ruger, front ring is a number 3 and the rear ring is a number 4. You can look at Leupold's website for the exact dimensions of the bell and Ruger's website for the ring dimensions. I like to shoot long range and I like a lot of magnification. I think most guys use a much smaller scope on these rifles.
7bc2b885-ac50-4181-9078-31659645e7d6_zps2e13197e.jpg

22/45 Fan

Hunter
BTW, is your M77 even capable of taking Leupold bases? I know there were a few that were drilled and tapped for aftermarket bases but most have the dedicated Ruger mounting points and nothing else fits.

Whoops, I just looked and Leupold and others do make rings to mount on Ruger's built in bases.

Kudu m77

Single-Sixer
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I took the rifle with to a shop that keeps the low rings and there was not enough space for a 40mm scope. The rings was on promotion for a very good price, but guess I will need to pass.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers

Pieter