learning to become a stunt pilot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

longspurr

Single-Sixer
This is a heads up on a book that I think several folks here might like. I know there are a few flyers here that may have met the author.Laurence Gonzales. One Zero Charlie
the quintessential portrait of the vanishing small airport. Gonzales is an aerobatic pilot and the son of a WWII pilot: He knows what he writes about.

I just finished reading another of the authors books "deep survival" and it is a very powerful book. Also a very good read for many here.
http://deepsurvival.com/

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
Here is a look at 10C from the air. http://galtairport.com/
The small airports are where many of us got started in the love of flying. Here is 0W3, where I fly out of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harford_County_Airport#/media/File:Harford_Airport.jpg

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Frank,
Great looking Field. Grass and paved what more could you want. :wink:
A shame soooooooooooo many of the small airports are going away.

Fox Mike

Hawkeye
10-28 is and uphill/downhill runway. It is 2000 x 40 and 28 is the preferred approach. It is interesting in that most times the wind is across the trees at the threshold of 28. It makes for some interesting crosswind approaches. Rumor is they are planning on widening and lengthening 10/28 and paving the 1/19 grass strip. Nothing happening yet though.

exavid

Hunter
I know how not to learn acrobatics. Right after I soloed my Piper Pacer I decided to try a loop. I didn't quite have enough speed and discovered the 'inverted stall'. Luckily the Pacer knew what to do and we ended up right side up heading for the ground. One other thing I learned is that you never want zero G in an airplane without vacuuming the cockpit and emptying the ashtray.

exavid said:
I know how not to learn acrobatics. Right after I soloed my Piper Pacer I decided to try a loop. I didn't quite have enough speed and discovered the 'inverted stall'. Luckily the Pacer knew what to do and we ended up right side up heading for the ground. One other thing I learned is that you never want zero G in an airplane without vacuuming the cockpit and emptying the ashtray.
Funny how you learn those details! There were times I felt couldn't wait to get back to the airport, and a bathroom :shock: :oops:
gramps, who has done inadvertent maneuvers in single engine planes.

bogus bill

Hunter
I have quit the stunts. I have a Citabria. Many years ago I had one lesson doing stunts in a Decathion. Later I bought a book on how to stunt and bought the Citabria. Thought I would do a slow roll but split S. Thought I was going to hell on a roller skate. Obviously made it. Many years ago I had a Piper Tri Pacer. I took a friend up and we did some sharp stuff. The next day at work he said his sons came home yesterday and said they saw some idiots doing stuff in a Tri Pacer.

Wyandot Jim

Hawkeye
Don't know much about those stunt things. A stunt is when you jump off a tall building and try to fly. :D Have done a few aerobatics. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Bill, you have to remember to push forward not pull back when inverted in the roll.

Latest posts