LCR vs. SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piccolo

Bearcat
I've owned a 2-1/4in.SP101 for several years and have no complaints with it other than its weight that for me, with my very slight build, makes it somewhat uncomfortable to carry. Ever since the introduction of the LCR it's been on my mind that it might be a good substitute for the SP101. I found one in the rental section of a local range and put a box of 38 sp. 132 gr. and a few 135 gr. +P Speer HP self defense rounds through it.
My conclusion: I'll keep my SP101. The LCR had a lot more perceived recoil than I expected especially with the +P ammo. My accuracy with it was nowhere near the SP's. Rapid fire and double taps were way off. I know this would improve with time and practice but I'm already there with the SP. At the end of the session I had several blood bruises (old guys know what they are!) on my off hand and the pad on my trigger finger was stinging. I will give it this though; the trigger pull is smoother and doesn't seem to stack like the SP's. The LCR's a nice little carry piece - just not for me.

TJx

Bearcat
I came to the exact same conclusion. I hated shooting the LCR because of how much it hurt my trigger finger.
I actually wasn't impressed at all with the LCR's trigger pull. My 19 year old 2 1/4" SP101 with a 10# hammer spring is superior.
I did test fire a S&W 642 which was a little better but decided I will make my SP work for CCW due to it's significant (for me) shootability over the lightweights.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Carry what you shoot well. I prefer the LCR because it's trigger is superior and it's lighter. But you need to do what's right for you.

stantheman86

Buckeye
I'll always go for the all-steel revolver :D

I'm sure the LCR is an excellent and reliable carry gun, but I just like the shootability and solid feel of guns like the SP101.

I am a Ruger fanatic but I also own S&W revolvers, you may want to look into the Airweights.......they have alloy frames and are available in .357 although I hear they are hand-stingers. I don't own an Airweight, but have a Model 60 and a 36 and they weigh almost nothing, so I can't see the advantage of something even lighter.

I would avoid the Bodyguard revolvers, I hear they are junk.

DGW1949

Hunter
Oh yes...it is indeed possable for one reach the point wherein their quest for cary-comfort begins to negatively-effect their ability to shoot well. I don't know about you, but if I couldn't shoot my carry piece well, I'd be decidedly uncomfortable.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
stantheman86 said:
I am a Ruger fanatic but I also own S&W revolvers, you may want to look into the Airweights.......they have alloy frames and are available in .357 although I hear they are hand-stingers. I don't own an Airweight, but have a Model 60 and a 36 and they weigh almost nothing, so I can't see the advantage of something even lighter.

I would avoid the Bodyguard revolvers, I hear they are junk.

I think you're going the wrong direction on this. He has already stated he doesn't like the recoil of the LCR. If that's true the last thing he needs is a S&W airweight; especially one in 357. :shock:

stantheman86

Buckeye
I would look into the Airweight but shoot standard .38's through it. S&W also offers a .327 lightweight J-frame that offers a decent self-defense round with recoil about on par with .38 +P but less "sting". I'm not a S&W "pusher", I own many Smiths but I'm a Ruger fan first, but S&W offers some options Ruger doesn't.

If Ruger offered the LCR in 9mm it would be an excellent option, but I don't see that happening.

You can't have both, a light revolver that is mild on recoil, especially with .357's.

With any small frame revolver, .357 will be a recoil issue. The .357 Airweights are made stronger and will be more durable, but you still have the ability to use .38 without losing the .357 option if the OP chooses to use it in the future as a .357. Just like the .357 LCR's are made a little more stout than the .38 models.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I have both and will keep both of my revolvers along with my other Ruger revolvers. I haven't had any trouble with either the LCR or the SP101. Both in .357 mag caliber.