LCR .38 Special +P Smithing Questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Barkis

Bearcat
Greetings, I need a bit of help with 2 minor problems I am having with my LCR.

First, the very small screw that runs up into the cylinder release button keeps backing out after I fire the gun. I've put blue Loctite on it and screwed it back in, but this does not seem to help at all. Luckily, I've not lost the screw yet, but I'm afraid it won't be long until the thing pops out unbeknownst to me while I'm shooting at the range. If the Loctite won't work, what will be an appropriate fix?

Secondly, the pin holding the front sight is walking its way out while shooting. What can I do to keep that thing in place?

Thanks for the help.

Barkis

NikA

Buckeye
I am surprised that the blue Loctite didn't work, but they make the "permanent" red Loctite as well that supposedly will withstand much more force. My guess, however, is that you have an excessive tolerance issue in these two places. Since the frame on the .38 LCRs is aluminum, the threads your release pivot screw screws into may be stripped. That might require a trip back to Ruger. As for the front sight pin, you should be able to either stake it on either side with a punch, or drive it out and put a very (very!) slight bend in it to give it some tension against the sides of the hole.

Barkis

Bearcat
NikA,

Thank you for the response. I contacted Ruger about the release pivot screw. Ruger is mailing a replacement. If that does not work, then the gun will have to be returned for a fix at the factory.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
When I changed my front sight I used blue loctite on the pin and it has held well.

Barkis

Bearcat
rob-c, I think I will give that a go. I just ordered an XS big dot sight for the LCR. I'll try the Loctite when I swap out the sights. I'm hoping that the new sight will be an improvement over the standard one. Old eyes and all of that.

NikA

Buckeye
The XS sight may fix your problem either way. I'm not sure on that model, but on some you're supposed to drill the pin hole from both sides, which creates effectively the same tension that bending the sight pin slightly does. I'd be interested to find out what the instructions for this particular model say.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Barkis said:
rob-c, I think I will give that a go. I just ordered an XS big dot sight for the LCR. I'll try the Loctite when I swap out the sights. I'm hoping that the new sight will be an improvement over the standard one. Old eyes and all of that.
it will, I went with a fiber optic front on mine and a xs tritium for the wife, I like hers better ... if I remember right pretty sure both sights came with blue Loctite for the pin...

woodsy

Blackhawk
Another factor to consider is that the screw(s) which you Loctited is covered with/entering an oily area. As good as Loctite is, it does not like to be contaminated by oil. A thorough degreasing before adding the Loctite may be the solution.

Barkis

Bearcat
woodsy, I had not thought about that. I will have to try to swab that area out. My concern is that when I screw that piece in, it never "tightens." I don't think it is grabbing anything.

BTW, I received the part from Ruger on Saturday (the 19th). It was not the crane release "button retaining screw", but the "crane release button pin" that they sent me. It will be another few days bore the proper part gets to my door.