LCR 22 MAG

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A 10 year-old, 60 lb child can learn to shoot...and enjoy shooting... a 38 special. The only reason a new shooter would not wind up shooting a .38 (or more) is because they've been improperly introduced to firearms. They've been given other options even before they began...they've been led to believe that if they don't like the recoil then a .22 is an option.

A .22 is great for learning the mechanics of gun handling. Being able to shoot accurately while having fun is certainly a good thing. But carrying a gun for personal protection is a whole nuther matter. Not everyone has the mental make-up to take a person's life. And one carrying a concealed weapon should not be thinking they'll stop an aggressor with brandishing and intimidation. Waving a BB gun about has gotten many a punk killed. Giving another person a .22 for personal protection is terribly misguided. They've been done a grave disservice by a well-meaning coach who has placed a firearm in their hands that he personally, would not choose to stake his life on. But, hey, it doesn't kick so that's OK?

I disagree that "any" firearm is better that none. That may be true for the individual who's already competent with larger calibers and has the mindset and willpower necessary to take a life in defense of a life... but not someone who's afraid of recoil. Little guns are not beginners' guns, they are EXPERTS' guns. If a person can't "handle" a .38, they'd be better served with pepper spray.

If a man can't teach a new shooter to enjoy shooting a higher caliber, he should enlist a professional trainer rather than put something in their hand that will put their life at greater risk. IMO.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
mike campbell said:
A 10 year-old, 60 lb child can learn to shoot...and enjoy shooting... a 38 special. The only reason a new shooter would not wind up shooting a .38 (or more) is because they've been improperly introduced to firearms. They've been given other options even before they began...they've been led to believe that if they don't like the recoil then a .22 is an option.

A .22 is great for learning the mechanics of gun handling. Being able to shoot accurately while having fun is certainly a good thing. But carrying a gun for personal protection is a whole nuther matter. Not everyone has the mental make-up to take a person's life. And one carrying a concealed weapon should not be thinking they'll stop an aggressor with brandishing and intimidation. Waving a BB gun about has gotten many a punk killed. Giving another person a .22 for personal protection is terribly misguided. They've been done a grave disservice by a well-meaning coach who has placed a firearm in their hands that he personally, would not choose to stake his life on. But, hey, it doesn't kick so that's OK?

I disagree that "any" firearm is better that none. That may be true for the individual who's already competent with larger calibers and has the mindset and willpower necessary to take a life in defense of a life... but not someone who's afraid of recoil. Little guns are not beginners' guns, they are EXPERTS' guns. If a person can't "handle" a .38, they'd be better served with pepper spray.

If a man can't teach a new shooter to enjoy shooting a higher caliber, he should enlist a professional trainer rather than put something in their hand that will put their life at greater risk. IMO.
Mike,
No argument here. My wife can shoot my Model 60 (2" barrel) just fine with 38spl. 22mag may indeed kill someone (reference your earlier post about ER doctors). No doubt about it a .22 rimfire (any of them) will indeed kill someone with the right shot and they may indeed bleed out minutes to hours later.

I do not feel undergunned with a 38spl or a 38spl +P. The "airweight" revolvers in 357mag just hurt to shoot. I've been shooting competitively since I was 14 (40 years) and while I can handle the recoil of 357 out of an alloy framed revolver, I don't like it nor do I find it enjoyable. 38spl +P is snappy but not painful and 38spl is no problem at all. I do carry +P in the Model 60 when I carry that revolver.

Like you, I'd recommend something a little more "meaty" than a 22 rimfire (mag included) for carry. If a .22 was all I had, I'd use it but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Jeff

Latest posts