"Keep your car keys by your bedside"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito

Hunter
This is the kind of nonsense one of my daughters shared on Facebook (Someone else wrote it but I guess she thought it was a good idea). I commented that no one does anything except get annoyed when they hear a car horn going off non stop. I added that there is something much better at helping protect you from a home intruder than your car keys.

"PLEASE READ AND SHARE!!!
Put your car keys beside your bed at night.
Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.
This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.
If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.
P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.
This may save a life!
**Feel free to send me a FRIEND REQUEST or FOLLOW ME. I am always posting awesome stuff!**"

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Sadly no one pays attention to car alarms any more. I suspect the thieves know this. No doubt they would use the noise of the alarm to cover the sound of breaking glass or smashing of doors. Besides, why give them a warning. The look on their face is absolutely astounding when they realize they are looking down the barrel of a gun.

Should anyone actually manage to get into my home while I'm there. The gunshots should bring someone eventually. Though more than likely I'll have to dial 911 for assistance. And wait, and wait, and wait.

I decided just a few days ago to put an extra key by my bed which over looks my drive way... just for this reason. Just seems practical if someone is messing around down there. We have folks that travel neighborhoods early mornings looking for unlocked cars to go through. I just made a note to order two game cameras... seems the police are too busy to catch these crooks....
Now if they decide to come in the house... I not going for the car key but my Ruger P95 it's louder than the car alarm.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I don't think that plan will do me much good. I'm the only one close enough to hear the car alarm.
I have absolutely no qualms nor would I hesitate to do a VP Biden into the dirt bank outside my back door if I felt someone was sneaking around night or day.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
I think it does actually have merit in some cases. Just another layer of defense you can use. I don't see where they are saying not to be armed, but I would generally think most criminals would try to get out of that situation fairly quickly. The rest of them can try and be brave and find out what your next layer of defense might be. To me it's no different than a dog. If a criminal wants in bad enough, one shot will dispatch an animal. However most would high tail it at the sound of growling.

737tdi

Hunter
I bet ya money that if my neighbors hear my car horn going off late at night it will trigger a response. I live in the deep dark country and noise is heard. My car does do that. Not an alarm really, just the horn. If I heard my neighbors going off I would be in their yard and armed to the teeth. Just the way it is out here in the real world. You folks in the city are ??.

The biggest problem with this where I live, it would probably be to late. A home invasion only takes seconds. Give me 10 minutes to investigate, the crime is already done. The sheriff is longer then that. I "might" catch the bastards but I would not be able to stop the crime. Isn't this why you need to defend yourself?? Blow the butthole out of his shoes before he gets close.

It isn't IMO a bad idea, it is just to slow. Dead is dead and by the time your neighbors reach you things are not good.

Karl

RugerHound

Hunter
vito said:
This is the kind of nonsense one of my daughters shared on Facebook (Someone else wrote it but I guess she thought it was a good idea). I commented that no one does anything except get annoyed when they hear a car horn going off non stop. I added that there is something much better at helping protect you from a home intruder than your car keys.

"PLEASE READ AND SHARE!!!
Put your car keys beside your bed at night.
Tell your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your parents, your Dr's office, the check-out girl at the market, everyone you run across. Put your car keys beside your bed at night.
If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button for your car. The alarm will be set off, and the horn will continue to sound until either you turn it off or the car battery dies.
This tip came from a neighborhood watch coordinator. Next time you come home for the night and you start to put your keys away, think of this: It's a security alarm system that you probably already have and requires no installation. Test it. It will go off from most everywhere inside your house and will keep honking until your battery runs down or until you reset it with the button on the key fob chain. It works if you park in your driveway or garage.
If your car alarm goes off when someone is trying to break into your house, odds are the burglar/rapist won't stick around. After a few seconds, all the neighbors will be looking out their windows to see who is out there and sure enough the criminal won't want that. And remember to carry your keys while walking to your car in a parking lot. The alarm can work the same way there. This is something that should really be shared with everyone. Maybe it could save a life or a sexual abuse crime.
P.S. I am sending this to everyone I know because I think it is fantastic. Would also be useful for any emergency, such as a heart attack, where you can't reach a phone. My Mom has suggested to my Dad that he carry his car keys with him in case he falls outside and she doesn't hear him. He can activate the car alarm and then she'll know there's a problem.
This may save a life!
**Feel free to send me a FRIEND REQUEST or FOLLOW ME. I am always posting awesome stuff!**"

No doubt written by the same chowderheads that want to arm children with a backpack and a can of soup for protection... :? :roll:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I don't remember the last time hearing a car alarm got me to look outside to see what is going on. Got to agree with RH, those kind of "tricky" things are for people who don't think they need real protection.

I live in a residential neighborhood.... if I heard a neighbor's car alarm going off I'd look. Our neighborhood has had a lot of auto theft's recently. Like getting the wheels stolen from your car. Not many home invasions though luckily...

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
TitanX said:
gramps said:
If your car has an alarm, then it is valid. Neither of my vehicles are so equipped.
gramps

You don't need a fancy alarm system, just a keyless entry system with a panic feature that will sound your horn continuously.

Like Gramps neither of my "cars" have alarms. And, since they didn't have keyless entry in 1982 (the year of my "new" car) that won't work either.

Now my work vehicle is a 2015 so it has all of the above, but because of the value of the tools and equipment in it it's garaged, and that would certainly muffle the sound.

I'd still rather just sit in the dark and wait. The sudden flash of a muzzle might enlighten the intruder. :mrgreen:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I tend to leave the ignition key in my old beater '87 Ranger. If somebody wants to steal it more power to them. The damn thing just won't die, and I need a new truck. :wink:

As for a house alarm thingie, I have far better options than some stinking car alarm. :wink:

Precision32

Blackhawk
Would not work in my neighborhood. First, my closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Second, no alarms on my cars.

If someone comes down the road to my property the neighbor's dogs sound off, which starts my pits to barking. My M1 loaded with eight rounds of AP handles the rest of the story.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
A car alarm in a suburban neighborhood sounding at @ 2 am may draw some attention.
Other than that scenario forget it! ps

rob-c

Single-Sixer
Not a bad idea but key fobs have a range the distance from my bedroom to my truck is to great for it to work . But the distance from my bed to my pistol safe is arm length.

Latest posts