Keep my glock or trade for a 1911 9mm single action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
Clovishound said:
Wow, they let you carry a Glock, with no safety, but not a 1911 with a really heavy duty safety.

To the op, I would trade the Glock in on a nice 1911 in .45 in a heartbeat. It will have a much better trigger, better ergonomics, and a manual safety. I have yet to pick up a Glock with a decent trigger or ergonomics, and refuse to carry a striker fired weapon without a manual safety. Others love them, they are reliable, but they just don't work for me. From the sounds of it, the trigger on them doesn't work for you either.

I always recommend shooting a prospective gun purchase prior to purchase, if at all possible. Rent or borrow one if you can. There have been a few that felt really good in the hand at the counter, but convinced me they weren't for me on the range.

Clovishound,
Correction, the 1911 has three safeties. Lemon Squeezer, Thumb safety and on the series 80,
the firing pin safety. As for shooting before buying, I wish I had done that for my Wife's LCP.
That thing hurts to shoot. It is a safe queen now. She shoots a Ruger LC380 now with CT laser.
Blackie

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I don't really consider those safeties. A safety is something you put on and won't allow you to fire the weapon until you put it in the off position.

I know, semantics.

I am not saying that they are not potentially valuable devices, but they will not prevent you from unintentionally firing your weapon on draw if you accidentally get your finger inside the trigger guard. A manual safety doesn't come off until the weapon has cleared leather. And no, I don't consider a manual safety as a substitute for proper weapons handling procedure. You should do absolutely nothing different with a weapon that has a manual safety on, than one that has it off, or doesn't have one.

I know the old tired saying about keeping your finger off the trigger, but too many well trained individuals shoot themselves in the leg or foot every year with weapons lacking a manual safety. Just one of my pet peeves. And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this, as am I.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Glock 19, 26, and 42 are my mainstay defensive handguns. It's not because they are "perfection", far from it in fact. I depend on them because parts/accessories/mags are cheap and super easy to find and if one of the pistols is damaged or stolen I can instantly replace it at any gun shop. They are very reliable and I shoot them pretty well, also I actually like the Glock grip angle and much prefer it to the flat and upright 1911 style.

That being said, the Browning Hi-Power is my favorite handgun of all time. Perfection arrived in 1935!

tx gunrunner

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
I don't really consider those safeties. A safety is something you put on and won't allow you to fire the weapon until you put it in the off position.

I know, semantics.

I am not saying that they are not potentially valuable devices, but they will not prevent you from unintentionally firing your weapon on draw if you accidentally get your finger inside the trigger guard. A manual safety doesn't come off until the weapon has cleared leather. And no, I don't consider a manual safety as a substitute for proper weapons handling procedure. You should do absolutely nothing different with a weapon that has a manual safety on, than one that has it off, or doesn't have one.

I know the old tired saying about keeping your finger off the trigger, but too many well trained individuals shoot themselves in the leg or foot every year with weapons lacking a manual safety. Just one of my pet peeves. And yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this, as am I.

Yes you do ..... I need a manual safety on 642 too . It is just like my Glocks . It has 3 automatic safety too and you need only to pull the trigger to make it fire . You should never draw a 642 with your finger on the trigger either .

Clovishound

Blackhawk
tx gunrunner said:
Yes you do ..... I need a manual safety on 642 too . It is just like my Glocks . It has 3 automatic safety too and you need only to pull the trigger to make it fire . You should never draw a 642 with your finger on the trigger either .

The big difference between your 642 and your Glocks is trigger pull weight. Something like 12 pounds vs 6. DA is usually a longer pull as well. Makes a huge difference. Law enforcement agencies have seen an increase in NDs when switching to weapons with strikers and no manual safety. There have also been NDs documented from clothing, and even leather holster pressing the trigger even with the internal blade.

A manual safety is no substitute for proper handling technique. It can, however, sometimes save your bacon when you make a mistake. People aren't machines. If they were, we would need no safeties at all on our guns.

RSIno1

Hunter
You really can't adjust Glock triggers. Stone the surfaces, get different weight springs is about it. I bought a 17L the guy had done a home trigger job on (rounded the edges) worked fine with mouse loads put in real ammo and it would go full auto.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My Glock 19 has a great trigger pull now that it's broken in. Other than shoot it a bunch I just lightly polished the internals with mag wheel polish. All stock parts, no different connectors or anything like that. My 42 is starting to break in nicely as well. Interestingly, my buddy's new Sig P320 trigger feels like a Glock that is nicely broken in. Within the first mag I could shoot it just as well.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Down here you can go to a couple ranges that rent so you could try at least the platform. Have or have had both and my hand etc. likes the 1911 in 9mm over a Glock 19. I would also look at the SIG 320 platform.