Keep my glock or trade for a 1911 9mm single action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

beacon1933

Bearcat
I currently have a glock 19 gen 4. I have trouble adjusting to the trigger. I am thinking about trading the glock for either a Springfield or Ruger 1911 9mm. However some caution that the 1911 is a bad configuration that breaks down because even today it is manufactured using ancient 1911 technology.
I would appreciate some feedback to help me make my decision
I

DGW1949

Hunter
beacon1933 said:
I currently have a glock 19 gen 4. I have trouble adjusting to the trigger. I am thinking about trading the glock for either a Springfield or Ruger 1911 9mm. However some caution that the 1911 is a bad configuration that breaks down because even today it is manufactured using ancient 1911 technology.
I

These days, one can only wish that they were in fact, STILL being built "using ancient 1911 technology", and with the same ancient parts...because if they were, a new 1911 "breaking down" would be about the last thing we ever need to worry about. :lol: .

As for "should I trade my Glock", and/or "which one" though, about all I can say there is that you couldn't run me down and give me a Glock, and that I haven't noted enough difference in the Ruger's and Springfield's which I've used to hardly tell any difference. In other words, both companies make a purty-fair 1911 clone.

DGW

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
With the exception of one Springfield 1911, that I sold to a guy that knew
its history (he sent it to Springfield and has had zero problems since), I
have lost track of how many thousand rounds through a 1911 I have run
with zero problems. - - - IMO, the 1911 will not be a problem for you.

The real question is what would you be the most comfortable with?

My suggestion is to get with some of your friends and ask if you can use
some of their pistols. Get yourself some ammo, and see what feels best,
TO . . YOU. :wink:

For me, I would have a 1911 in a heart-beat. :D

dpayne

Bearcat
I absolutely love my Ruger 1911 but it is the 45 version. It's extremely accurate and has never given me a problem. I sold my only Glock (26) a few months ago as it never really felt right in my hand. I would rent a 1911 and see how it feels. You might not be able to find a 9mm but just see how the 1911 style feels to you. In my hands it seemed to naturally point to the target and the recoil from a 45 wasn't bad at all. You will know right away if the 1911 is right for you.

chowser51

Bearcat
Sell a gun? Blasphemy!

;p

My Glock 22/23/27 haven't been shot since 2008 and just sit there collecting dust but I can't bring myself to sell them (the 22 was a duty weapon)

Keep your 19 and buy a 1911.

I just picked up another (fourth one) Glock 19 this month. Ran a few boxes through it to verify function and sent it out for customization for my daughter's 15th birthday.

The grip fits her fine. All I did was replace the gen4 trigger with a smooth faced gen3 one. Lightens up and smooths out the trigger pull a little.

With that said, my Ruger 1911 in 9mm is the gun I shoot the most. For now. I have two CZ P10Cs on order. We'll see if those knock my Glocks and HKs out of my carry rotation. My 1911 is only a fun gun. Work won't let me carry 1911s off duty.

~JM~

Single-Sixer
Are you comfortable & competent enough to carry a 1911 cocked & locked?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Made in USA.

Buy that gun. Everybody wants jobs in the USA, but no one admits to contributing to sustaining offshore jobs. After all, where are your kids gonna work?

When in doubt...

Ruger Redhawk

Single-Sixer
That would be a real hard decision for me. I like the Ruger 1911's and I like all my Glocks. Probably about the only deciding point for me would be the metal frame Vs the Polymer frame. I don't know it's to close for me to call.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
How long have you owned the Glock? Do you have any experience with 1911's? We love in luxuriant times as far as the variety of different handguns available, are there any others that interest you?

lostdog

Bearcat
hello, I work at a gun shop/with a range and I pick up a new Ruger 1911 lwc in 9mm. I'm very please with the way it shoots. It's very accurate,no problems with it ,got about 800 rds threw it. We have about 30 different range pistols,i like the 1911 the best...

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
beacon1933 said:
I

Beacon1933
I disagree, the 1911 is an ancient design manufactured using modern equipment and technology. I have
15 different 1911s and trust all of them. Different manufacturers. None of my 1911 have "broken down"
except for a Taurus I had. It refused to feed the last two cartridges in the mag. It is now probably on
"pawn Stars"!
7 of the 1911s I have are Rugers. My grandson carries one on the job, and a friend of mine
over in Houston carries one on the job. Both given to them by me. I would not give my friends
a piece of junk to protect their lives.
Blackie

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
chowser51 said:
Sell a gun? Blasphemy!

;p

My Glock 22/23/27 haven't been shot since 2008 and just sit there collecting dust but I can't bring myself to sell them (the 22 was a duty weapon)

Keep your 19 and buy a 1911.

I just picked up another (fourth one) Glock 19 this month. Ran a few boxes through it to verify function and sent it out for customization for my daughter's 15th birthday.

The grip fits her fine. All I did was replace the gen4 trigger with a smooth faced gen3 one. Lightens up and smooths out the trigger pull a little.

With that said, my Ruger 1911 in 9mm is the gun I shoot the most. For now. I have two CZ P10Cs on order. We'll see if those knock my Glocks and HKs out of my carry rotation. My 1911 is only a fun gun. Work won't let me carry 1911s off duty.

Chowser51,
Your work dictates what you carry off the job? Wrong job!
I gave a friend of mine in Houston an SR1911CMD .45ACP. He qualified with it and
can carry it anywhere, any time, on or off the job. Loves it!
Blackie
Blackie

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a c model 45 and will keep it. Smoother and better than the day I bought it on clearance.

http://www.m1911.org/mod_randall.htm good info here

dusty9

Bearcat
Keep the Glock 19 and get a SR1911 .45. I am a big fan of Glocks (own 5) but everyone should own at least one 1911. I have two. My favorite of the two is my SR1911 Commander std weight. It is just as easy to carry concealed as my Glock 19, it is just a little heavier.

chowser51

Bearcat
SR1911SHOOTER said:
Chowser51,
Your work dictates what you carry off the job? Wrong job!
I gave a friend of mine in Houston an SR1911CMD .45ACP. He qualified with it and
can carry it anywhere, any time, on or off the job. Loves it!
Blackie
Blackie

Work figures if we shoot anyone off duty, work will get sued anyway so they limit what we carry. They provide the ammo too so we don't complain.

Our current policy is: must be DA/SA or Striker-fired, no cocked and locked and must be caliber: 9mm, .40, .45, 357SIG. We're phasing out .40 next year.

My current issued duty gun is a gen4 Glock 31.

My approved off duty selection currently consists of the following:
Gen2 Glock 19 9mm
Gen3 Glock 32 357SIG
Gen3 Glock 33 357SIG
Gen4 Glock 21 .45acp
HK VP9 9mm
HK P2000 357SIG (DA/SA)
HK USP Compact 357SIG (DA/SA)
HK 45CT .45acp (DA/SA)
HK USP Compact .45acp (DA/SA)

So I can pick from nine different guns and carry what I feel like that day. I haven't had to buy ammo in a long time. No complaints.

I'm going to retire the gen3 32/33 and probably replace them with twin gen4 32s.
I guess I can carry my duty gun off duty if I wanted to but I don't.

I haven't been able to convince management to drop the no cocked and locked part yet.

In and around my house I carry my SIG 1911 Ultra in .45 that my exgirlfriend and kids got me for my birthday but once I leave the homestead, I switch to one of my approved guns. I mainly carry the 32/33 together since if any of my Glocks get taken for evidence, I can get a replacement cheap and fast. Also it's similar to my duty gun which I have the most trigger time on.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
Wow, they let you carry a Glock, with no safety, but not a 1911 with a really heavy duty safety.

To the op, I would trade the Glock in on a nice 1911 in .45 in a heartbeat. It will have a much better trigger, better ergonomics, and a manual safety. I have yet to pick up a Glock with a decent trigger or ergonomics, and refuse to carry a striker fired weapon without a manual safety. Others love them, they are reliable, but they just don't work for me. From the sounds of it, the trigger on them doesn't work for you either.

I always recommend shooting a prospective gun purchase prior to purchase, if at all possible. Rent or borrow one if you can. There have been a few that felt really good in the hand at the counter, but convinced me they weren't for me on the range.

Latest posts