Just One Question- Where is the 22 Rimfire Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cowboy1

Single-Sixer
Strangest thing, before Big "O"s second term, you could buy Wolf (Russian) and Aguila (Mexican) but since then that has all disappeared. Did the g'ment stop their importing to further the USA shortage!! Hmmmmmm!!
CB1

jjas

Single-Sixer
I can find Aquila in more small gun shops than I can any Remington, Federal, CCI or Winchester .22s and have been able to do so all year. It seems the larger box stores are getting the "national" brand .22s and that is being bought up by the "door watchers" every time a shipment arrives. Even Midway still has Eley in stock and has since this foolishness started. Apparently there's no money to be made by buying and reselling Eley.

So is there really a concerted effort by the evil Obama administration to force the hands of gun owners...or is it panic buying, greed and hoarding that has lead us to this point?

BradB

Bearcat
jjas said:
So is there really a concerted effort by the evil Obama administration to force the hands of gun owners...or is it panic buying, greed and hoarding that has lead us to this point?

What came first, the chicken or the egg?? Panic buying, greed and hoarding didn't cause the shortage. It resulted from a shortage. Or that's just my opinion. You can ask questions, raise debates, present circumstantial facts relating to human behavior, etc etc. The true entity having the most money to quote "buy it all up" is not the hoarding public. The bigger entity is the one robbing their every paycheck. But as I stated above, that's just my opinion.

The bigger issue is what to do about it. Keep a little on hand, shoot sparingly, and don't buy from gougers because they don't help the shortage problem. Good luck.

jjas

Single-Sixer
BradB said:
jjas said:

What came first, the chicken or the egg?? Panic buying, greed and hoarding didn't cause the shortage. It resulted from a shortage. Or that's just my opinion. You can ask questions, raise debates, present circumstantial facts relating to human behavior, etc etc. The true entity having the most money to quote "buy it all up" is not the hoarding public. The bigger entity is the one robbing their every paycheck. But as I stated above, that's just my opinion.

The bigger issue is what to do about it. Keep a little on hand, shoot sparingly, and don't buy from gougers because they don't help the shortage problem. Good luck.

As for the first paragraph of your response...you and I will just have to agree to disagree. I think this whole "shortage" happened because Americans freaked out after Sandy Hook and what started as panic buying and hoarding soon became a cottage industry for some. And as I've stated before...@ some point this mess will sort itself out and if nothing else, I'll likely be buying ammo cheap @ yard sales when it does.

Regardless....I agree with your second paragraph. I only shoot what I can replace and I won't buy from gougers.

Enjoy your evening.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I was at Fin Feather & Fur today and was kinda surprised they had Federal 525 bricks. The employee said they had them for several days. Priced at $29 and limit of one brick per customer. This is the first time I have seen a brick of 22 at a retailer for a long time.

Snake45

Hawkeye
transalp1961 said:
I was at Fin Feather & Fur today and was kinda surprised they had Federal 525 bricks. The employee said they had them for several days. Priced at $29 and limit of one brick per customer. This is the first time I have seen a brick of 22 at a retailer for a long time.
That's still about 3X what it sold for as recently as 2007-2008. :shock:

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I think the day of a sub $20 brick is gone. The last price I saw before the shortage was $18.99, and inflation has probably pushed that price higher.

dbw1911

Bearcat
Walmart by me fired manager for call gun shop and not put ammo on the shelf selling right to gun store

amickmh

Bearcat
Has anyone brought up the lead plant in Missouri that was shut down?

http://www.columbiatribune.com/business/lead-smelter-closing-in-missouri-town/article_572575e6-6e56-11e3-b83c-10604b9f6eda.html

I have a feeling this is going to put yet, another scare into effect... I've heard a few sides to all this, and people are either saying projectiles are going to skyrocket in price and the shortage will be worse,... and others are telling me (gun store owners mind you) that most bullets are not made from new lead ore, and it won't have that big of an impact...

As for the processing plant,... I'm not sure what to say... It was creating a big health risk for people in the area, but the timing of it's closing couldn't have been worse.

amickmh

Bearcat
One more article to add to the lead plant closing subject...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/02/rumor-check-did-obama-close-a-lead-plant-in-order-to-enact-backdoor-gun-control/

This might help ease the new scare.... (if there ever was one)

Specs

Single-Sixer
mohavesam said:
dbw1911 said:
Walmart by me fired manager for call gun shop and not put ammo on the shelf selling right to gun store

:shock: Huh??? :shock:

Translation: The Walmart in my neighborhood fired the sporting goods manager because he was selling ammo directly to gunshops and not putting the ammo on the store shelf for Walmart customers.

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
dlidster said:
I was just exposed to BIG TIME SCALPING.

In addition to patrolling local stores for .22 rimfire ammo, I have my name on the "notify me" lists at several suppliers (Midway, Brownells's).The other day I received notification from Cheaper Than Dirt that I could purchase a 525 round box for $159.95 if I acted quickly. That's a box, not a case.

I've tacked a copy of that e-mail message from Cheaper Than Dirt on the bulletin board of two local gun clubs, along with my opinion of their business practices. This is outrageous. CTCD is off my list forever.

This is more or less the same experiences I have had when trying to do business with this company. A very classless place and I will never do business with them.

For as much as I dislike Walmarts purchasing practices and the way they treat their employees, I have to give them credit. They have hardly raised their prices at all through this "shortage." 22lr still doesn't exist and .380 is very scarce but all other ammo seems to be almost back to normal availability in some smaller Walmarts.

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
Another thought on this subject. Was in Prairie Du Chien, Wi. over the weekend and stopped in the local sport shop there that has been there forever. A man and his grown son stopped in looking for 22lr ammo and 22mag. ammo. The man in charge told this guy and his son that there are hoarders that own 22lr guns that don't even shoot that are buying up all the 22 ammo as soon as it hits the shelves and that they were the ones responsible for this shortage. I thought to myself that he was full of it for starters. The guy he was telling this to also thought he was full of it. For 1 thing, no 22 ammo is ever hitting the shelves around here. For a second reason, all of his 22 rifles on the wall that he sells, had advertised with them, 100 free rounds of 22lr ammo included with the sale. All of his Ruger 10/22s were at least $60 to $90 overpriced from what you can buy them practically anywhere else. (including the big box store down the road a couple of miles) So I am thinking to myself that this dealer is part of the problem. He is keeping all the 22 ammo he is able to get in to help sell his overpriced guns. (He had NO 22 ammo for sale). Has anyone else run into this type of retailer hoarding their ammo to jack up their rifle sales?

jjas

Single-Sixer
No1.Nick
Has anyone else run into this type of retailer hoarding their ammo to jack up their rifle sales?

I know one lgs that is holding back ammo to sell with his .22s. He puts a little out on his shelves for customers but he keeps some back for one simple reason.....

Who wants to buy a gun they can't find ammo for?

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I was in Walmart this morning and bought some Remington .380.
I asked the clerk if they were getting in any .22 LR and he said he got in some Winchester 333 yesterday, the first he had seen in 12 days.
So it's not hoarders causing the problem, the stores aren't getting any to begin with.

bcam

Bearcat
I have a regular routine on Saturday mornings. It's a 75 mile drive that takes me past four stores that all require a stop to see what new 10/22s might be in stock. Typically, 2 out of the 4 stores will have some sort of 22LR in stock. I only buy if it fits the profile I want, SV or HV, 8 cents a round or less.

Recently, I went to meet someone from Armslist to buy some 22LR that he advertised at a good price. We met at the local Walmart. While waiting for him, I went into the store. They had M22 for $49.99/1000. And Winchester Super X for 7.97/100.

Point is, it's out there, be patient and set a limit on what you will pay.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I was in my LGS yesterday and asked about .22 ammo (I was picking up my new BL-22). The owner expressed frustration and said that they now only get rare shipments of small quantities. I was told that it got progressively better last year until November when shipments all but stopped. He indicated that he did not know why.

Jim

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Specs said:
mohavesam said:
dbw1911 said:

:shock: Huh??? :shock:

Translation: The Walmart in my neighborhood fired the sporting goods manager because he was selling ammo directly to gunshops and not putting the ammo on the store shelf for Walmart customers.

Thanks. My Ebonics classes aren't due to start for another semester... :roll:

BTW, I highly doubt this happened, as the commission of such an act constitutes interstate trade collusion, a federal felony - if in fact the ammo was shipped across state lines to get there. And the ammo companies wouldn't forgoe full prosecution per ITAR and DoD rules in such a case.
- another ammo conspiracy urban myth?

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Sam, the Wallyworld on my side of the mountain has a policy posted that "ammo will be stocked at approximately 7.30AM". This policy was enacted because 1or 2 of the receiving guys were giving their pals a heads-up call when ammo was going into the sporting goods dept. Confirmed by the counter guys.

I did learn from the early morning regulars that Winchester ammo will show up as in stock on the Wallyworld website in the early AM but no other brand will.