Just One Question- Where is the 22 Rimfire Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
I finally found some Federal American Eagle 22 LR for $5 per box of 50 at LGS. Did not buy it. My coworker has a kid that works at a big box retailer who brought me three boxes of 100 ct. CCI Mini Mags for $25. Told him I would buy all his kid could get his hands on, even though that price is still much higher that it used to be.

No one in the industry is talking about their inability to meet demand. I work in public relations and cannot find a single manufacturer who is making comment on this issue. So what gives? It has been a year since the Sandy Hook killings and there are all kinds of AR-15s available, all kinds of centerfire ammo, but no rimfire.

Why-anybody know? I just want to go shooting with my kids, but do not dare to do so, as my stash is limited. Just asking. TD

96/44

Blackhawk
Rimfire ammo was the last thing to disappear when the panic hit. Other calibers are almost back to normal availability and prices, so rimfire should be back soon. I have actually gotten more .22 ammo from distributors this year than last, problem is that it is gone as soon as I put it on the shelf. There is nobody to blame except the people who are hoarding it. The manufacturers are turning it out faster than ever.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
96/44 said:
Rimfire ammo was the last thing to disappear when the panic hit. Other calibers are almost back to normal availability and prices, so rimfire should be back soon. I have actually gotten more .22 ammo from distributors this year than last, problem is that it is gone as soon as I put it on the shelf. There is nobody to blame except the people who are hoarding it. The manufacturers are turning it out faster than ever.

I think Xmas might have a little to do with it at the moment. I know more than one person who has asked for, or bought, .22 ammo as a gift.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
TinkerDave said:
My coworker has a kid that works at a big box retailer who brought me three boxes of 100 ct. CCI Mini Mags for $25. Told him I would buy all his kid could get his hands on, even though that price is still much higher that it used to be. TD

You say this and have to ask where all the ammo is? Really? Do you think that ammo ever even hit the store shelf? And you think that kid is the only one doing this? Think the shelves will have ammo any time soon or the price is going down when people know its overpriced and still say "I would buy all his kid could get his hands on"...

Specs

Single-Sixer
I bought some Federal "lightning" 40 gr roundnose at Walmart yesterday. $2.47/ 50 rd box. They had 4 left, I bought the 3 box limit. They tell me that the same lousy scalpers are there each morning buying up all they can. I swear that I will do without before I buy any from a scalper. I hope they have to eat it.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
And will these scalpers will be reporting this profit on their income tax?
Where is the IRS when you need them?

Specs

Single-Sixer
gmartinnc said:

Well, if you sell a gun for more than you paid for it would you declare the gain? Most will not.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
Specs said:
gmartinnc said:

Well, if you sell a gun for more than you paid for it would you declare the gain? Most will not.
I don't buy and sell guns for a profit. If someone does, they are supposed to have a FFL and a business license.
These guys scalping all the ammo do it every day just like clockwork, not the same situation as you describe.

Specs

Single-Sixer
gmartinnc said:
Specs said:
gmartinnc said:

I don't buy and sell guns for a profit. If someone does, they are supposed to have a FFL and a business license.
These guys scalping all the ammo do it every day just like clockwork, not the same situation as you describe.

Let's try another example. Let's say that I routinely go to garage sales and buy glassware and then sell it at a profit in my own garage sale. Do you honestly believe that I should/would report the profit to the IRS? I think that in the case of ammo, the reseller should be charged with selling ammunition without an FFL, but that is just opinion. I think that actually it's legal, and if I bought and sold a 1 firearm weekly for profit it would be legal, same for ammo. I don't like it either, but I reluctantly state that it is probably legal, and probably not taxable without some serious documentation.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
I think when someone has a inside source for ammo and is constantly buying and selling it at a huge profit, that is the same as a business, and the laws are pretty clear on that.

BradB

Bearcat
96/44 said:
Other calibers are almost back to normal availability and prices, so rimfire should be back soon. There is nobody to blame except the people who are hoarding it. The manufacturers are turning it out faster than ever.

Sorry but "almost back to normal" is a galaxy away my friend. The availability of common cartridges like 9mm and 38 special are nowhere near normal. Places like Cabela's used to have so much on hand they would honor annual prices in their master catalog for semi rare cartridges like 38 wadcutter. Now your lucky if they aren't sold out of LRN or FMJ. You're free to believe what you want and I'm not taking a shot at you. Just explaining what I saw and now see.

If everyone wants to believe people get rich by buying retail and then gouging folks on internet or behind the garage sales excluding the taxation...etc.. That's fine. Believe what you want. Businesses with large amounts of capitol like Walmart and ProBass can order semi loads "wholesale" and undercut the so called scalper so even if that's what's happening the hoarder is going to have a lot of expensive plinking to use up.

Fact is, the ammo on "order" isn't getting to the retailers because supply and demand isn't working.

Now call me a quack, conspiracy theorist, paranoid freak, or anything you wish. But the most common caliber firearms in most households, collections, guns stores, manufacturers warehouses, etc etc. is now the most ammo short. It used to be the most ammo abundant. Why do you think Ruger offers so many products that use that bullet?

Not only hurtful to the gun owning community but another great way of trashing our economy. Which is another subject but either way they are doing a pretty good job of it.

Not a whole lot that can be done about it right now and all I can say is keep a little on hand no matter what you have to pay to get it so your firearm doesn't become a paper weight. Good luck.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
Ammo scalping is a problem. Look at craigslist if you don't believe it.
While my son was in college, I did all the mowing and upkeep for a large cemetery near me.
During that six years, I paid tax on every dime that I earned, and none of that came easy.
But it's incorrect for me to think a guy who has inside connections with a big box store that allow him to buy and resell ammo on Armslist week after week after week and keep 100% of the profit is wrong? I have never said they are getting rich, but some of them have to be making some serious money. (open the link please)
Actually, the IRS doesn't have time to check into this anyway. They are to busy harassing folks that don't agree with our current Liar in Chief in Washington.
http://www.armslist.com/posts/2383477/raleigh-north-carolina-ammo-for-sale-trade--22-lr-multiple-brands

kacher1

Bearcat
TinkerDave said:
I finally found some Federal American Eagle 22 LR for $5 per box of 50 at LGS. Did not buy it. My coworker has a kid that works at a big box retailer who brought me three boxes of 100 ct. CCI Mini Mags for $25. Told him I would buy all his kid could get his hands on, even though that price is still much higher that it used to be.

No one in the industry is talking about their inability to meet demand. I work in public relations and cannot find a single manufacturer who is making comment on this issue. So what gives? It has been a year since the Sandy Hook killings and there are all kinds of AR-15s available, all kinds of centerfire ammo, but no rimfire.

Why-anybody know? I just want to go shooting with my kids, but do not dare to do so, as my stash is limited. Just asking. TD

Are you sure they were 50 rnd box's? American Eagle has been coming in 40 rnd box's for quite a while now. That makes it even worse. :)

9x19

Hunter
I have it... and no, it's not for sale.

Stopped by the LGS this morning on the way home from work, they had lots of CCI in both .22LR and .22WMR.

I didn't buy any.

Del J

Single-Sixer
There is a article in the January copy of the NRA American Rifleman about the ammo shortage. One can read this make their own accessment. The only upside is the excise tax (Pittman-Roberson act) on all ammo, which "must" be used for wildlife conservation projects by states. Estimated $207 million in 2012. The ammo scalping mentioned above is a big problem, but how does one approach it, we all have opinions. Alot of facts and figures in this articles, I for one am not buying in entirely.
Del J

timboy

Bearcat
kacher1 said:
TinkerDave said:

Are you sure they were 50 rnd box's? American Eagle has been coming in 40 rnd box's for quite a while now. That makes it even worse. :)
I scored 12 of those 40rnd boxes a couple weeks ago at Walmart,3 boxes at a time.It was the first time I had seen .22 ammo in almost a year around here(NY).

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I was just exposed to BIG TIME SCALPING.

In addition to patrolling local stores for .22 rimfire ammo, I have my name on the "notify me" lists at several suppliers (Midway, Brownells's).The other day I received notification from Cheaper Than Dirt that I could purchase a 525 round box for $159.95 if I acted quickly. That's a box, not a case.

I've tacked a copy of that e-mail message from Cheaper Than Dirt on the bulletin board of two local gun clubs, along with my opinion of their business practices. This is outrageous. CTCD is off my list forever.

Specs

Single-Sixer
dlidster said:
I was just exposed to BIG TIME SCALPING.

In addition to patrolling local stores for .22 rimfire ammo, I have my name on the "notify me" lists at several suppliers (Midway, Brownells's).The other day I received notification from Cheaper Than Dirt that I could purchase a 525 round box for $159.95 if I acted quickly. That's a box, not a case.

I've tacked a copy of that e-mail message from Cheaper Than Dirt on the bulletin board of two local gun clubs, along with my opinion of their business practices. This is outrageous. CTCD is off my list forever.

I would never buy a thing from that scum. What gets me is that NRA accepts them as a sponsor.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
gmartinnc said:
Ammo scalping is a problem. Look at craigslist if you don't believe it.

craigslist does not allow people to sell ammo. Can you post some links as I would like to see how they get away with it.

My opinion is a lot of people got caught with their pants down when the ammo shortage hit. This shortage drives home the point to be prepared and buy when prices are cheaper. With money market interest rates at less than 1% money in the bank just continues to lose buying power. I lived through a couple of primer scares and now the 22 ammo shortage. Fortunately I just buy 22's by the case from CMP and they deliver it right to my door for a fair price. I have more than a coupe of cases as well as 20,000 primers and close to 80 pounds of powder. And none of it is for sale but even if it was no one has to buy it so no such thing as scalpers. The only reason people get on a rant about "scalpers" is because they didn't have the fore sight to stock up when they could and prices were reasonable.

Whine and cry all you want but we all had the chance to buy bulk packs of 550 Fed and Rem at Wal Mart for under $10 a few years ago.

I am disappointed I did not buy gold at $200 an ounce. But I had the choice and I don't feel the people who are selling it at $1,250 an ounce now are scalping anyone.

jjas

Single-Sixer
I'll never forget the first time I stopped @ BassPro (right about the time it was due to open) after all this foolishness started. There was a crowd of "older gentlemen" standing in front of the store like it was Black Friday. I really didn't think much of it, parked my car, and walked up to the entrance. About that time, the doors were opened and these grown men went running (and I use that term loosely) as fast as their legs would carry them towards the guns/ammo area. I walked in and asked the greeter what what BassPro was giving away and he told me how it was like this every time an ammo shipment was due.

Maybe these guys just like getting something that's tough to find, maybe they like "supplementing their income" by sticking it to people, maybe they like hoarding ammo, or maybe they are "preppers" and have all this ammo next to their supplies of beans and blood pressure meds. Or...maybe they like doing it just because they can.

I don't know...and don't really care. Because in the end, this mess will clear itself up. If nothing else, the "ammo hoarders" and the "gunbroker gougers" will eventually die off and their wives will likely sell what's left of their precious supply of ammo in a yard sale, along with their tools, deer mounts and golf clubs......

In the meantime, I have .22s to shoot and I'll continue to buy what I need when I come across it, but I'll not clear the shelves and then try to stick it to someone else so I can make a few bucks. Nor will I stock up tens of thousands of rounds of ammo I'll likely never shoot......just because I can.

I don't see the point.

Latest posts