Just got back from Dominican Republic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
We were looking to spend a week in the sun n sand.

Originally looked at Florida Keys, but prices were crazy for just hotel rooms. Wife found us an all inclusive with air faire to a resort in the DR that was cheaper by3 a lot

Dang!

Why haven't I done this before!!!

We got a swim-up room. Walk out ur sliding door, take 3 steps and you are in the pool.

Nice room.

Small fridge full of waters, pepsi, 7up and two Presidente Lights.

OK, 2 light beers a day was NOT going to work. Gave the guy a $5 bill and wow, 10 regular Presidente beers would be there every day

Every day, go have breakfast, walk in the ocean, come back, get some sun by the pool. Start drinkin beers, get in the pool. The girl would come by and bring my wife some kinda rum banana drinks.

Met a nice couple from Ottawa Canada, they had the room next door. Late 40s like us. Would like to see the total number of beers we put down in 5 days lol.

All in all, a great time, much needed sun n fun. Didn't get too sunburned or hung over

Delta flights were smooth both going and coming.

Will definitely do it again, value seems good.

Awesome! We really like Puerto Rico ourselves. But haven't been for about 5 years now.

Did you leave the hotel resort any? I'm curious how the rest of the island is?

When I was in high school, my dad went on a field trip to Haiti. He came back saying it was just unbelievably poor. No all inclusive resorts back then.

I can see the fiver getting you more beers everyday. Glad you had fun!

9x19

Hunter
We took our kids to Punta Cana for a week, several years ago. Stayed at a Riu Palace hotel. They had four other hotels on the same stretch of beach and we could use the facilities at any of them. So, we had re-fueling stops the whole length of the beach for our own walks. :D

Cholo

Staff member
I have a friend who's gone there multiple times and loves it. He's trying to get me to go with him.

Some trivia about the DR that some might find interesting. My brother-in-law has a Dominican wife my entire family just loves. They both live in the DR now after building a house. Anyway, the trivia:

1) You can legally own and carry a gun if you're a resident in the DR. I asked Louisa if my BIL, a USA citizen, can carry a gun there and she said yes.

2) A drunk driver can't be charged with a crime if he causes an accident. Why? It wasn't his fault, he was drunk.

Interesting...

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
I was down to the DR the first week of January. It appears that all normal driving rules have been suspended.

I was reading up on the possibility of having a firearm there, and while it is permitted, you can not bring a gun with you. My understanding is your only choice is to acquire one there and that almost guarantees you a POS revolver.

Sounds like a great time. We are off tomorrow on a cruise to DR, PR, and US Vir Islands. Unfortuanately the Woke cruise lines block gun forums from their web service. :-( I'll have to go a week cold turkey off the forum. Can't trust those Italians!

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
We're in Florida as we speak, cruising to St. Maarten and more. Escaping 20 degrees for 80 degrees and sunshine is truly uplifting.😎

Is that the place where you can be on the beach and jets go over at 100 feet?

Always wanted to do that, lotsa youtube vids about it

RC44Mag

Buckeye
We did Punta Cana about ten years ago. Nice inclusive resort but the food was mediocre, most everything else was pretty good on the grounds. Did a couple beach SCUBA dives and snorkeling but didnt get to charter a fishing trip which is usually number one thing for me to do. We were warned by everyone don't go outside the wire.

I like to venture into new lands but respected the wife's wishes and certainly didn't want to get jammed up with street predators who'll shive you for $20. We haven't been back since that trip a decade ago, one and done. Too many other places to go that going off the the property doesnt make me go into protection dog mode.

375hh1973

Single-Sixer
We did Punta Cana about ten years ago. Nice inclusive resort but the food was mediocre, most everything else was pretty good on the grounds. Did a couple beach SCUBA dives and snorkeling but didnt get to charter a fishing trip which is usually number one thing for me to do. We were warned by everyone don't go outside the wire.

I like to venture into new lands but respected the wife's wishes and certainly didn't want to get jammed up with street predators who'll shive you for $20. We haven't been back since that trip a decade ago, one and done. Too many other places to go that going off the the property doesnt make me go into protection dog mode.
Food was definitely mediocre

First thing we did was hit the Wendy's drive thru for a baconator and a coke on the way home from the airport!