Just got a GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just came accross a used GP100 for a real good price. The gun has seen better days, I believe I need some advice, I would like to bring it back to a "as new condition". The gun is SS kind of scrached up and would like to get it re-finished, not sure as to original or some other finish. I would like to get a trigger job and have the gun checked over to replace or correct any not to spec parts, and some new sights (old man with diabeties).
The question being is where can I get this work done, good quality and at a reasonable cost, and any opinions or suggestion that you may give me for the work I want to have done. My first thought was just send it back to Ruger and have them do the work, never had any experience with Ruger.
Again, looking for opinions, suggestion and any guidance you could give me.
Thanks again.

Cigarbum

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You can re-finish the gun yourself with a Scotch Bright pad. Just rub the pad along the surfaces to get that factory 'brushed stainless' finish back again. The front sight can be replace with a HiViz sight. Check out the ruger websight and shopruger.com. Shoot the gun before doing anything. It is probably just getting broken in.
http://shopruger.com/Double-Action/departments/6/

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
You can re-finish the gun yourself with a Scotch Bright pad. Just rub the pad along the surfaces to get that factory 'brushed stainless' finish back again. The front sight can be replace with a HiViz sight. Check out the ruger websight and shopruger.com. Shoot the gun before doing anything. It is probably just getting broken in.
http://shopruger.com/Double-Action/departments/6/

I agree , the stainless finish is easy to doctor up. And unless the revolver was abused , the internals are pretty much bullet proof , they hold up pretty well. If it locks up tight , and everything works as it should its probably good to go , but, Its never a bad idea to have a smith look it over if your unsure of yourself . After you have it looked over , I'd shoot it some before spending too much cash on it. Most revolvers will get smoother with time and LOTS of shooting. Dry fire it lots ... that will help too. You mention "out of spec parts" , not sure what you may be aware of..such as springs and the like ? Some of those parts maybe benifical as long as the gun goes bang everytime. As I said ..shoot it , see how it goes.

I've had several revolvers that had to be sent back to Ruger ...IMO they're service dept is great. They used to take on the work you desire ( no trigger jobs ) but not so sure about in todays market. They're busy trying to keep up with the demand..or so I'm told. Give them a call. They're great people.

regards , brushunter

And BTW ...Welcome to the forum

revhigh

Hawkeye
As the two guys above have mentioned ... I'd work on it yourself. Just start with the coarsest scotch brite pad, and while you're watching tv, just work on it. When you get the finish uniform with one pad, move to the next finest pad and repeat. When you get to the finish you like, just even it out with that pad. Lots of people go even farther, and make their gun high polished, which just takes more time, but is extremely rewarding when it's done.

Regarding trigger work ... I wouldn't ... At least until you really give the gun a chance. Chances are you'll be shooting it SA most of the time anyway, and most Ruger DA/SA revolvers aren't bad out if the box. They're not Pythons, but they're not that bad either.

REV

eveled

Hawkeye
It would be the perfect chance to dehorn, all the sharp corners then scotchbrite pads. You'll end up with a great carry gun.

If it were mine: it is already scratched up instead of trying to make it look new again, I'd make it into something better, then polish it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it. GP's are great guns. Ed

Well, I have started my adventure in trying to get a mirror finish on my gun. I got the Scotch Brite pads, some Mothers Polish and some little buffing pads for all the small places. I have not disassembled the gun, hope I am not sorry for that, some of the polishing compounds kind of get in the cracks and stuff. I have about 1/2 of one side done and really looks nice, I understand what you mean by being very rewarding, you can obtain that mirror finish but it is not perfect. Without taking away all the roll marks, I find it almost impossible to remove some of the machining marks, you can't feel them but you can see them, you can drag your finger nail accross them and you can't feel anything, just smooth as glass.
This is hard work for an old man with crippled up hands, but when I get done I'll post some pictures.
Thanks again for all the insight.

Cigarbum