Just bought a Ruger American, Any Advice?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DPris

Buckeye
Perch,
You are seriously wrong.
Threats occur well beyond 5 feet, and if 5 feet is the only distance you think you'll ever have to deal with, you are very much misinformed.

As a retired career cop, I had to clean up the aftermath of more bloody messes than you'll ever see, and the distances vary greatly.

Most professional trainers will teach that if there's enough distance involved to use the sights without handing your gun to the other guy, USE those sights.

As also a former firearms instructor for the second largest PD in my state, I can't tell you how often even LE misses in such situations, WITHOUT using sights.
We taught a close-in push-off hip-fire method at arms' reach, and sights for any distance far enough away to extend to eye level without putting the gun in reach of the other side.

Those who base their entire defensive philosophy on any one single "this is the way it'll always be" in a threat scenario are quite foolish.
Denis

duckbuster60

Bearcat
I love my RAP 45 carry it every day.I shoot Freedom Munitions Ammo works great and is cheaper then a store.