Just an observation on carrying in my state

Help Support Ruger Forum:

codebreaker

Single-Sixer
Not uncommon for motorcycle riders here in OKC to be OC. I've seen quite a few. Also see a few in the ranching communities.

Concealed carry is relative. I was watching some sort of newsreel a couple of nights back. Some politician was being shadowed by a reporter and the politician's 'body guard' was concealing his handgun with the ineffective 'untucked polo shirt' method. I picked it up within a few seconds.
I got 'noticed' by a Bass Pro Shop employee last week. I was wasting time 'shopping' (not really at their prices) and the employee literally walked into me, saw the 'discreetly' carried handgun, and recoiled like I was a snake. So what? I'm legal. If he finds the sight on an OC handgun upsetting, there's a dress shop on the other side of the mall.

Open carry is now legal in S.C. if you have a permit and I have yet to see someone doing it. I probably would if I went down home to Edgefield county, Home of 10 governors including Strom Thurmond, .... but not here in my town... I know too many people and have no need for a confrontation either pro or con on guns....

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Came across this and had/suggested the wife watch it (She has WA & UT permits). I corresponded a couple of times with Masood and he's always given straightforward answers to questions I've asked on other forums:

Armybrat

Buckeye
Honestly.....most people I see in my area Open Carrying look like complete knobs and are the kinds of people that make us look bad . It may just be a PA thing I don't know

If you're a well dressed gentleman with a Western rig, kinda covered by a blazer but not really you'll look fine. I never see this. In the rare occasion I see open carry its almost always some disturbed looking mall ninja type guy
We have them in Texas too…Mutt and Jeff here were in a Chipotle restaurant:
BBEDF6D3-27D3-491F-B1E6-43C1DB699DB1.jpeg

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
We have them in Texas too…Mutt and Jeff here were in a Chipotle restaurant:
View attachment 32173
99% of the time it's some weirdo Incels like this that walk around "open carrying " rifles 😀😀 my one coworker who open carries his 1911 with like a 7 mag belt is a weirdo too

That said, if it's done right and not over the top, doing like a "weak concealment " or kinda open but kinda concealed is fine, I sometimes dress like a 90s undercover movie cop just to run out to the movies with my kid or something, with jeans and an open flannel on with a J frame in an OWB holster that's basically open carried with a shirt loosely draped over it and no Karen's have ever shrieked about it

It's always some oddball with an Amazon nylon clip holster and a Hi Point drawing attention to himself

I'm glad they allowed open carry here in S.C. with a permit.... putting aside all the debate about it... I prefer to carry concealed but it is nice to not have to worry about my pistol peaking out.

I hate to say it but the real issue with some people open caring is not the gun but what they look like.... when ever I go out of town for more than a day... I get a hair cut and shave close.... yes, I know it should not matter.... but sometime in my 20's when I went to work for myself and started going to peoples homes I realized how you look and present yourself does matter. But then now I'm just another "old fat white man."
363350126_6849974425021062_8759054697496361381_n.jpeg

"Open carry makes a politicaI statement. I carry concealed for protection, not politics."
We all have our OPINIONS. I can assure you, my open carry is a personal choice based on experience.

warren5421

Single-Sixer
I carried concealed till 1968 when I became one of Uncle Sam's, then I carried open in condition three till I hit the war zone then it was condition one. Once out I went back to concealed till Indiana pass their Licensed Weapons Permit. Once the permit came in I went to IWB open carry. As age set in I find most people never notice the 1911 on my belt. They see a cell phone case and skip the gun. I see a lot of open carry around Indianapolis. Signs have no law in Indiana but you can be asked to leave a place by the management.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
We are a Con Carry state so its fairly common to see the fudds at walmart with their nylon uncle mike holsters and taurus semi auto's wandering around walmart