Joining the knife parade

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I've no idea what this is, who made it, how old it is, etc.
I "think" it may have belonged to my Uncles who would be in their late 70s today.

No markings of any kind on it.

Anybody know about it?

Attachments

• 0D899751-3CF4-4BF8-8D08-89E85FE7FD2F.jpeg
    0D899751-3CF4-4BF8-8D08-89E85FE7FD2F.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 2FC1F8E0-7C4B-4EEA-9CC3-62A347C51A09.jpeg
    2FC1F8E0-7C4B-4EEA-9CC3-62A347C51A09.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 5A8774DF-C032-4F08-AAA4-AB853E511F14.jpeg
    5A8774DF-C032-4F08-AAA4-AB853E511F14.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 113

hittman

Staff member
Okay, it seems eBay is maybe my friend for info.
I found a couple of these in the $30 to $50 range. Most are advertised as 40s or 50s "Boy Scout Knife".
I'm pretty sure both my Uncles were in Scouting. I was too but don't remember this coming with me on any of my camp outs, etc.

I "think" it may have belonged to my Uncles who would be in their late 70s today.

Anybody know about it?
Being in my 70's as well and a boy scout, I remember when they were around seems like everywhere. I never had one, they were very cheaply made. But it does bring back memories.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Wow! Am sure I had the same knife hittman back around 1960 or 61. Recall the studded pouch and that button release on the strap. Had all those implements including the cork screw. Those bone grips of the handle if that is what they were are were super rough and sharper than the blade I do recall. Not an expensive knife I think. Probably a foreign made job. I probably lost it or traded for fireworks back then. Still nice to see one I had from my youth.

hittman

Staff member
The "bone" grips seem like whatever the popular plastic was from those days. Maybe the same stuff they made aftermarket gun grips from.

I also suspect these were made somewhere in Asia.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
The "bone" grips seem like whatever the popular plastic was from those days. Maybe the same stuff they made aftermarket gun grips from.

I also suspect these were made somewhere in Asia.
Sure brought back some memories of those folders I had as a kid anyways. Recall buying those $.89 folders from the corner store. Probably made by Imperial. Recall the blade would close on your fingers if not careful. Usually always had a polished blade though. Those knives got a pounding back then. Stickin in the ground or throwing against trees. Had a ton of em in my youth.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
By the time I was in Scouts in the 60's, the standard Cub Scout knife was the blue handle 3 blade (knife, awl, and bottle opener/screwdriver). As I recall the Boy Scout knife was similar except brown and had a 4th blade which was a can opener. I lost my Boy Scout knife. I have my Cub Scout knife right here and it was made by Camillus. At some point in the last 20 years, I picked up a Girl Scout knife at a flea market, I think from the same era, and is green and has the same blades as the Boy Scout knife had. The GS knife was made by Kutmaster. The thing I remember most about these knives is that a young kid with thin, tiny fingernails really needed another tool to open some of the short blades like the bottle opener.

1657900998799.png

I remember the fork/spoon knives like Hittman's advertised in the back of magazines, probably Boy's Life.

Wow. Turns out I have one very, very much like that one, but with a couple more blades/tools. Has the same plastic bone/stag scales. I've had it for at least 65 years, and cannot recall exactly when/where I got it. I know it wasn't new, but it's in fine shape for as cheaply as it's made. I didn't get the cool sheath with mine. No markings anywhere. And yes, the shorter "blades" were quite hard to open . . . still are.

I never actually used it in Scouts as it is actually quite awkward and I couldn't see actually eating with it as our scoutmaster required that all utensils be boiled and scrubbed after each meal. It was good for show-and-tell, though.

Most surprising thing about it is that I was actually able to find it in my stuff and dig it out for review. :)

Alibiiv

Bearcat
Okay, it seems eBay is maybe my friend for info.
I found a couple of these in the $30 to $50 range. Most are advertised as 40s or 50s "Boy Scout Knife".
I'm pretty sure both my Uncles were in Scouting. I was too but don't remember this coming with me on any of my camp outs, etc.
Yup..... I'm in my 70s and remember the exact same setup as a boy scout. It was "the thing " to have back in the day!!!! There also was a WW II cooking fit that fit together (mess kit) that was very popular as well. The unit was held together by a handle that folded over what was considered to be a plate and a frying pan. The plate half of this mess kit was divided in two sections. If you had the mess kit and the knife in the photos you were hooked up for cooking and eating. Cut yout food with the knife the folded the knife in a had the fork and spoon for eating. This knife was the equivalent of the leatherman of today.

I collect and train with edged weapons of all types, but the one that stays on my belt ( replaced due to age twice) is the 1968 Case XX M3F trout and bird knife, Never leave home without it on my belt. It is a top quality knife and tool, and it's smaller sheath size keep the cops from annoying me. Around $12 when it first came out, in pristeencondition theyrun around $140 today- if you can find one.

Anybody know about it?
I had one of those back in the 50s. It really impressed my fifth grade friend and the teacher when I brought it to school. This was back in the day when every kid over 6 went to school with a pocket knife. I got it for selling Christmas cards for that company that used to advertise on the back cover of Boys Life. It was too awkward too really use for anything except impressing the other kids.

I also got my first bike for selling 60 boxes of cards. It was an "English" bike (had a little tag on the seat post that said "Made in England") three speed with a trigger shifter and hand brakes.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My old Craftsman knives from growing up still kicking. I guess Craftsman has gone at least around here knives from growing up still kicking. I guess Craftsman has gone at least around here.
Before I got my Cub Scout knife, my dad bought me a Craftsman Barlow. I lost it and I remember exactly where it was the last time I saw it, sticking in a tree stump along the bank of some Colorado lake we camped at. I must have been 6-7 years old. I didn't miss it until we were 50 miles down the road on our way home and my dad was not about to turn around and go back for it, The other thing I most remember losing as a child was a wrist compass that I got in San Marcos, Texas at the gift shop at nature park called Aquarena Springs. I was maybe 5 years old and and we stopped for the night at a motel halfway home and my mom wouldn't let me sleep with it on, and I didn't want to lose my prize compass, so I strapped it to the cross brace rung under the desk chair. Then obviously completely forgot about it the next morning and didn't think about it until we were 200 miles away. I remember that wrist compass cost $2. To this day I get a little OCD and double/triple check every hotel room before checking out.

When Sears went out of business, they sold the Craftsman tool brand to Black & Decker and the DieHard auto parts brand to Advance Auto.

hittman

Staff member
Wish I could remember the brand name of knives our local small town hardware store sold. They all looked alike, just many different sizes. They looked much like the small Craftsman pictured above too.

This week a neighbor inherited some old tools from his grandfather. The green and white colored handles on S&K screwdrivers brought back memories to me of that old hardware store.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Well many of the cheapos I bought in my youth from the corner store were Shrade or Imperial I believe. Paid around .79 or .89 for the folders that would close up in the fingers. All had polished blades back then though.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Imperial was the cheapo with chrome plated blades, although they weren't always so bad. My dad bought an Imperial during the depression that he carried his whole life and it had higher quality steel than the 1960's-1970's stuff. I remember having one of those yellow handle Imperial fishing knives with a combo fish scaler, hook remover, bottle opener blade. It wouldn't hold an edge and got pretty loose, but some of that was my fault. I kept it in my tackle box and when the fish weren't biting, I'd get bored and throw it at trees, stick it in the dirt, etc. One of the plastic scales broke when it hit something.

Western, K-Bar, Schrade maybe TruTemper were often in hardware stores and a little more expensive than Imperial. I got a Schrade Old Timer at some point, I think when I was about 14. But it didn't seem as useful as my Swiss Army knife, so I went back to carrying that.

Buck and Case were in some HW stores, but yet more expensive.

At least that was what I recall in Colorado. It was probably regional to some extent.

Have gun-will travel

Single-Sixer

Anybody know about it?
I'm in my 70's and had that exact knife in my early tee years . Last thing my grandfather gave me before he passed. Wish I still had it but when we moved one of the movers stole it. Did not realize it till several months after the move when I was going camping.

Latest posts