I've been bitten by the hand-loading bug...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flgolfer29

Bearcat
...Went to a friends house last night to get a little Hand-Loading 101.

I was given the option to begin with a Dillon 550 progressive or a Rockchucker single stage.

First up, Dillon 550. I went through the process beginning with already cleaned brass. Loaded 100 rounds. This was probably a bad idea because I really liked the set-up.

Secondly, the Rockchucker. I wanted to give it a try and see how I liked it and loaded 10 rounds. It was fine, but I liked using the progressive much more.

That being said, I have looked at the Dillon & the Hornady LNL Classic. The reason I'm looking at the Hornady is due to the fact it will most likely be easier for me as a beginner as far as set-up goes and a bit cheaper.

I've spent much time surfing the net for the right kit and/or model; looks like it will be even a longer night searching and trying to make a decision on which unit to go with.

joe

Enigma

Hunter
Most folks recommend a single-stage press like the Rockchucker for a beginner. It allows you to learn the basics before you take the plunge with a progressive machine. That said, some people I know started out with a Dillon (or other progressive), and never looked back.

I can say this - if you buy the Rockchucker, the only regret you'll ever have is lack of production speed!

I started out with an RCBS JR press, upgraded to a Rockchucker, and now have a Dillon, the RC, a Lyman Orange Crusher, and an RCBS Partner press - all used for different purposes.

Oh, and be aware that reloading is addictive...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I agree with the idea of a beginner starting out on a single stage, or even a Lee Classic Turret.

If you want to read up on progressives here are some threads worth checking out:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107348
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=83155

-- Sam

flgolfer29

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam said:
I agree with the idea of a beginner starting out on a single stage, or even a Lee Classic Turret.

If you want to read up on progressives here are some threads worth checking out:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107348
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=83155

-- Sam

I had already read the first linked forum, and now have read the one you started. Thanks for the info. I feel if I can find a good deal on the Hornaday AP Progressive I may go that way.

What setup did you end up with by the way?

joe

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
LNL, but mainly because I have a number of calibers I'm reloading, and Dillon gets pricey when buying multiple conversions. I also found one locally, and didn't even have to order it.

-- Sam

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Add another "Learn what you're doing on a single stage before ordering anything 'blue'" vote.

Admittedly, the Dillon is a beautiful machine, and fast. So fast, in fact, that you can turn out a whole lot of BAD ammo in the time it takes to screw up just a few cartridges on a single stage if you haven't trained yourself in all the various aspects of reloading a cartridge well. (Imagine taking your very first driving lessons in a Ferrari... ;) )

And, trust me, you WILL screw up somewhere! Anyone who tells you he's never done so is either a rank newbie, or a bit reckless w/ the truth...

What you want to do is learn how to make ammo in the following order:

1. SAFE

2. GOOD (Reliable, consistent, suitable for your shooting purpose)

and lastly,

3. FAST

When you get Nos. 1 and 2 down pat, call Mike at Dillon and tell him "it's time." He'll have a machine waiting for you while you learn!

Rick C

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
What press you will be best served by depends much on the quantity you will be reloading, and how many different chamberings, as well.

Single stage can produce about a round a minute and is best used to process a batch at a time. (Size 50 cases, change dies, bell and prime 50 cases, change dies, etc.)

Turret. Operates in batch mode the same as a single stage but changing dies is very easy as they can all be permanently mounted, ready to use in the turret head. It is possible to operate the turret press in a straight-throughput manner where you take one cartridge case and pass it through all dies in succession start to finish before you move on to the next case. You simply move the turret head one die station for each operation until all loading steps have been performed. You only have to insert/remove the cartridge case one time in the straight-throughput mode, but 3 or four times in batch mode.

The Turret press is slightly faster than the Single Stage, but not by much.

Auto-indexing Turret (also known as Auto-Advancing Turret). Its natural mode of operation is the straight-throughput mode, but can be operated as a single stage (in batch), also, by turning off the auto-indexing feature.

The auto-indexing turret can be as much as 4 times as fast as a single stage.

The progressive press is best suited for straight-throughput processing. The head of the progressive remains stationary and multiple cartridge cases move from station to station. As the multiple cartridge shell holder (shell plate) moves up and down, multiple operations are performed simultaneously. How many depends on the number of die stations.

A seven station progressive might have

1 sizing/depriming die
2 case-mouth belling die (and priming on the down stroke)
3 powder charging
4 powder charge verification
5 bullet positioning
6 bullet seating
7 crimping

The operator must verify many of these operations are completed with each stroke of the operating handle. (Upstroke, check this, check that, check the other thing, don't forget to check the whatsis; downstroke, check this, check that, check the other thing) Then rotate the shell plate

I have heard of production rates as high as 500 or 600 rounds per hour, but am not sure if that includes setup time and feeding primers, bullets and cases into their various handling devices.

The progressive is more involved in caliber changeovers than any of the other types of presses and requires a much higher level of concentration on the multiple actions occurring simultaneously. But if you need the production rate, it is the only choice unless you have a lot of time or many helpers.

That higher level of concentration is the source of my caution to learn reloading on a single stage or turret before using a progressive. While it can be done safely (especially if you have a good mentor) learning to walk before you run is still wise.

I know you, flgolfer29, and most of the other people who have posted to this thread already know much of what I have posted, but others are reading who have not had the benefit of operating the Dillon, or of having a mentor like your friend. So, I have gone into some detail. If you have not considered an auto-indexing turret or even a regular turret, you might want to look at one, watch some videos or otherwise research them.

Lost Sheep

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I started loading only pistol ammo. My first press was Dillon 550B. Attention to detail is what it is all about. Checking and rechecking. You don't HAVE to put a case in on every stroke starting out and once you are properly set up at each stage and proficient you then have the production speed and the whole process in regards to the machine is familiar. Start with a powder that you can't double charge w/o overflowing the case. Use a low powder alarm and look in each case before seating which you should do regardless of the method you use. Probably the worst that could happen is a squib. When you are shooting if anything doesn't feel or sound right, or there is no hole in the target, STOP shooting until you have determined it is safe to proceed. Once you have a head set up properly it is nice to be able to pump out some rounds in the morning or the night before for an afternoon at the range. I think speed and tedium can both cause problems. For me, for loading pistol ammo, a single stage forces tedium into the process even once you become proficient. I'm not arguing against starting with a single stage but it is not the only way to do it safely.

For rifle ammo I weigh each charge and use multiple single stage presses. A turret press would work as well.

Whichever method you choose be consistent, keep a clean work area, free of distractions, only one set of components on the bench, keep good records and label everything!

Landric

Bearcat
I started handloading in 1994 to support my ever growing shooting habit. I was living less then three miles from a private range of which I was a member. I had a key and a lot of days off during the week, which meant I basically had the place to myself when I did most of my shooting. I shot A LOT of ammunition. I also didn't have any children to keep me from going out to shoot, as I do now. The internet didn't exist with volumes of information like it does now, the only gun forum I recall in that era was the rec.guns newsgroup (which I got to see by dialing into the University of Virginia's server and reading it in DOS). I don't recall reading a single discussion about handloading.

So, I was basically self taught with some gunshop advice thrown in. Luckily the gun shop I frequented had an honest owner who sold me a RCBS Rockchucker kit for a reasonable price, that had just about everything I needed. It didn't have quite everything I consider necessary now (like a bullet puller, a set of calipers, and a tumbler), but I got by. I loaded all my ammunition on that Rockchucker from 1994 until 2001. In 2001 my wife bought me a Dillon SDB in .45 ACP for my birthday. After that I still loaded everything except .45 ACP on my RCII until 2008. About the same time I got the Dillon I also finally got a bullet puller, a set of calipers, and a tumbler. Since I stopped renting and finally bought a house in 2008 my handloading equipment has grown by volumes, but my shooting has gone down a lot due to family obligations.

I did the highest volume of shooting I ever did in my life while loading only on a single stage. It can be done, and its not that much of a hassle.

For the new handloader I suggest a single stage. If the new handloader is someone who just can't take the slow pace of a single stage to learn the basics, then the Lee Classic Turret is a fantastic choice, faster, but still only one cartridge at a time.

gregs45auto

Single-Sixer
I vote RCBS for a start. Go thru and size-bell-prime all the cases. What you have left is using a powder measure with a 10th charge check on a scale. Eyeball EACH case in the tray for proper powder height. Insert bullet is last. This way you can pull out desired amount of cases and reload. Been doing this since 1972. (did I mention I am a tightwad)! :p best, greg

flgolfer29

Bearcat
Thanks to each one of you that have responded, your opinions are valued greatly. I am not ruling out any type of setup; single stage, turret or progressive. I know I am a newbie and most have recommended the single stage as a starter.

Since cost will be a factor in my decision, the Lee Classic turret will be considered as well as the Hornady LNL Classic (although a little more pricey). I am typically very anal regarding whatever task I may be undertaking and feel as though a progressive press would like be too difficult for me to operate, especially the Dillon that is rotated by hand. But then cost begins to creep back into the equation.

Thanks again, and I am still searching for the right one and will probably make a purchase within the next 3 or 4 days. I'll update once there is a little action on this end.

joe

Flash

Buckeye
I bought my first Dillon about 20 years ago and love them. Of course I have two Lyman turrets and a Pacific single stage but my Dillons get most of the work. I can load with my 550 as a single stage or a turret press and my SDB's will crank out the ammo like crazy. I usually spend the time to set up one caliber on my Square Deal and come back the next day to simply crank out a thousand rounds or so. Go with Dillon, you won't regret it.

RugerSP101

Single-Sixer
flgolfer29 said:
...Went to a friends house last night to get a little Hand-Loading 101.

I was given the option to begin with a Dillon 550 progressive or a Rockchucker single stage.

First up, Dillon 550. I went through the process beginning with already cleaned brass. Loaded 100 rounds. This was probably a bad idea because I really liked the set-up.

Secondly, the Rockchucker. I wanted to give it a try and see how I liked it and loaded 10 rounds. It was fine, but I liked using the progressive much more.

That being said, I have looked at the Dillon & the Hornady LNL Classic. The reason I'm looking at the Hornady is due to the fact it will most likely be easier for me as a beginner as far as set-up goes and a bit cheaper.

I've spent much time surfing the net for the right kit and/or model; looks like it will be even a longer night searching and trying to make a decision on which unit to go with.

joe
I just bought the Lee Classic turret press in the last few days. Id been using a handpress for the last year or so.
Not sure if youre going for high dollar or not, but this press is on sale CHEAP right now...and from what I can tell is a winner.
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/classic.html

Bout halfway down the page...

90064 serv.parts 140.00 84.48
Lee CLee Classic Turret Press
Only $85 bucks plus shipping.

RugerSP101

Single-Sixer
Heres an article, part 1 of 3, about the Lee Classic Turret Press
http://www.realguns.com/archives/122.htm

flgolfer29

Bearcat
Due to being on a budget, I ended up going with the Lee Classic Turret Press kit, offered on www.Kempfgunshop.com. By going with the Lee kit I was able to get three different Lee Carbide Deluxe 4-die sets I intend on reloading, one of which came included in the kit price as well as a few other miscellaneous items I needed.

Other than bullets, primers and powder, I've got everything I need to get going except a case tumbler. I ran out of money so I ended up washing the first 100+ 45acp casings (very time consuming) to get me started. I've read others that have tried washing and preferred tumbling; I will prefer tumbling one day, haha. Hopefully, the equipment will be delivered by end of this week so I can get everything set-up this weekend.

Thanks for listening and much thanks for all the input everyone offered.

joe

ColbyToll

Bearcat
I also bought the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit from www.kempfgunshop.com (about a month ago). I originally placed my order online, but also followed up with a phone call and they were great to work with and they shipped my order quickly. This is my first reloading press and I had no experience with reloading before buying it. So far it is a great press. I took my first full batch of reloaded 45 ACP rounds to the range last weekend and all fired without issue.

Setting up the machine was easy…a lot easier than I expected after reading posts about Lee not having good directions. However, I had watched A LOT of videos about the press before buying it so I already had a general idea about how everything was supposed to be. I enjoyed the press so much that I already purchased extra turrets and 9mm dies so I can expand my reloading. Not to mention that I am looking at adding a new gun to the collection and I will likely get setup to reload for it as well.

Coming from a new reloader, I would recommend the Lee Classic Turret Press. It is easy to get going and you can reload at a decent rate…even as a beginner.

flgolfer29

Bearcat
ColbyToll said:
I also bought the Lee Classic Turret Press Kit from www.kempfgunshop.com (about a month ago). I originally placed my order online, but also followed up with a phone call and they were great to work with and they shipped my order quickly.

I ordered the kit Monday morning and received it today (Wednesday morning). Great customer service from Kempf Gun Shop. Can't wait to get it set-up and begin the process.

joe

Landric

Bearcat
Just a tip on the Classic Turret; if you are using the safety prime it works a whole lot better if you put a couple of washers under the bracket that mounts on the press that holds the safety prime. I had huge problems with the safety prime dropping primers on the floor instead of the cup until I added a couple of washers under the bracket.