Is there any "prefered" load for the MkI - II - II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnny k

Bearcat
I know the guys on the S&W forum talk about the CCI Std. Vel. load as the standard for the M-41. (Most accurate, best functioning, least stress on the gun, etc.)
I know...each gun functions best and is most accurate with different loads, but is there a "Go to" round out there that works best and is more accurate than other loads?
My MkII works with everything I must say, from std. velocity, sub-sonics, to the hyper velocity stuff, (unlike my M-41) but the best I can do is about a 2" avg., benched from 25yds. I've tried everything from Ely 10-x to Federal bulk pack. (O.K., the Ely was a tad tighter) Probably my older eyes, but I'm just wondering if there's something else out there I am missing.
Thanks much! John

.22's are nortorious for being picky about what they will feed and eject. It's not the ammo or the pistol. They are just very individualistic. Best thing to do is buy as many brands as you can get your hands on and test them for accuracy and reliablity. Then you can pick a load that fits what you are going to do with it on any particular outing. Sometimes it might be a good JHP for small game. Solids for taking furbearing critters, or match ammo for making small groups on paper.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Sage advice above. Nothing wrong with a gun,, they just often seem to prefer one brand over another.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
johnny k":3vajnodt said:
I know...each gun functions best and is most accurate with different loads, but is there a "Go to" round out there that works best and is more accurate than other loads?

Hi, and welcome!

Only thing close to a "go to" load I've seen was when I used to spot for a buddy when he was shooting silhouettes. In the rimfire events, many of our local shooters shot various Mk IIs (this was several years pre-Mk III), and Winchester's T22 ammo was a favorite among them.

Otherwise, since no ammo's gonna undo my well developed flinch, nor the effects of time on the eyes, I'm of the "find out what works best for you" school w/ .22s!

Rick C

Snake45

Hawkeye
Winchester Dynapoints shot very well in mine. They've also shot very well in almost all my .22s, rifle or pistol.

Federal 510 Champions are another low-cost "go-to" accuracy load for many guns. Some of my guns like them, some hate them; they're worth a try in your gun. (Oddly, almost everyone I know who's shot Fed 510s in a CZ 452 .22 rifle has had good accuracy from them--some, spectacular accuracy.)

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
I've found, with my Mark III Target, that I have never had any problem with CCI Mini-Mags. That said, since I installed a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor, I haven't had any more stovepipes or other problems, even with the Federal bulk hollow points.

As always, YMMV - get several kinds and try them. Besides being instructive, it's fun!

Dan

Snake45

Hawkeye
bullockdgmanor":ogyre8mg said:
I haven't had any more stovepipes or other problems, even with the Federal bulk hollow points.

Dan
Until the last two years, I always found the Walmart Fed Bulks to be extremely reliable ammo--right up there with CCI MiniMags in reliability and functioning in everything. In 2008 and 2009 they shipped a number of lots that wouldn't have normally gotten through QC. MOST lots are still quite good, but maybe one lot in four or five these days has problems of some kind. :evil:

I've fired over 50,000 rounds of the stuff since 2004, if that means anything.

8000fthi

Bearcat
My MK11 was made at the Prescott AZ factory for the forman of the barrel making. It was factory tuned custom smithed. They test fired it with CCI Green Tags and had very tight groups. I have used Green Tags and it shoots very well. I'm not a competition shooter but I have fun shooting empty 12ga shells at 25yds.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
CCI Standard is my go to round. Federal bulk packs are almost as good (occasionally better). I did shoot a Federal 375 count bulk pack this weekend that gave me really crappy results in terms of accuracy. But they did all fire.

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
Snake45":1ni51uaj said:
bullockdgmanor":1ni51uaj said:
I haven't had any more stovepipes or other problems, even with the Federal bulk hollow points.

Dan
Until the last two years, I always found the Walmart Fed Bulks to be extremely reliable ammo--right up there with CCI MiniMags in reliability and functioning in everything. In 2008 and 2009 they shipped a number of lots that wouldn't have normally gotten through QC. MOST lots are still quite good, but maybe one lot in four or five these days has problems of some kind. :evil:

I've fired over 50,000 rounds of the stuff since 2004, if that means anything.

I am almost exactly the same here.....Used to buy shopping carts full of them (along with a loaf of bread and 6-pack of beer) from wal mart. Last 2 or 3 years have gotten a couple of "stinker" boxes. The ones that pass muster will shoot as good as any out of my guns.

Even at $18 per box it isn't bad when compared to everything else. Long for the days of $7.98 bulk packs.

I too have been shooting the Federal 'bulks' and have found them to be accurate but have also noted that I have had more stovepipes with them than any other type I have tried. The CCIs are the best I have shot but are very hard to find around Northeastern Maryland. Once in a long while Dicks Sports Store has them.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
My best long range groups (75 yards) have come with CCI Std. Vel.
Mini Mags and Federal plated 40 grain HV solids are a close second.

bicclick

Bearcat
My friend and I had 3 different SS MKll's at the 25 yd indoor range today.
The purpose was to sight in a couple of newly installed Weigand no gunsmith mounts with the $49.99 Barska multi size red dot sights.
"Big" World Class Speed on Steel match is this weekend in Old Bridge NJ
We shot Fed. 525 bulk which were OK, Rem. Thunderbolts a little less OK, (I hate all Rem .22's, way to many FTF)
The best accuracy with no FTF were CCI Blazers ...they are OUTSTANDING!
Using "shoot n see" targets we still needed a spoting scope because, every shot was hitting within a 1/4".
We were using a simple Millet pistol rest.

beb42503

Bearcat
I've found, with my Mark III Target, that I have never had any problem with CCI Mini-Mags.

.............+1, My number 1 choice when it has to go bang! Accurate, reliable, and powerful for a .22 LR.