Is there a collector value to a Speed Six with

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tycer7

Bearcat
Is there a collector value to a Speed Six with the stamp Transit PD and a badge #? 3", .38 Special, bobbed hammer, DAO, stainless.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
A Speed-Six, 3" barrel in 38 spl is a desirable gun. However, condition is very important. Next, any markings that were added AFTER it left the factory can enhance or detract from the value. Box, papers, & any information on the markings that are verifiable all help the value.
I would hesitate to place a value on it based upon the brief description. Pictures, & more info will be a big help!

Tycer7

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome. Been a member here since '07 but have not posted in several years and my login no longer works and no answer to my emails from the mods. So I added a 7 and am up and running again.

yes, some folks like 'odd, rare' guns, some folks do NOT like "police trade-ins" for obvious reasons, and some others COLLECT "police" ( agency) guns, so it is , what it is, nice thing is the gun is stainless and WILL clean up to look as good as new, have NO clue as to the "mileage" it may have, can and will affect value....Also some folks do NOT care for .38 special, it has to be a magnum, me, I like the 'choice/option' and tend to use ONLY 38 specials anyway....................so, it all comes down to what YOU like and what kind of a 'deal" it is.........

Well, I also would not put a value on it right now, even with the pictures. The value really depends on what can be verified about the markings and any history you might be able to find.

I will tell you though, the star on the frame under the crane tells me that it has probably been inspected by a NYCPD armorer. Thus it might be a NYCPD (Transit force - subway system, rail system etc.). If you have the box and manual it may also give a clue on where it came from. The 162-42XXX dates it to 1988, last year of manufacture The "Transit P.D." and "4395" were not put there by Ruger. Probably by the armorer before issue.

If it is a GS-83NYCPD DAO gun, it is pretty rare and would command a higher selling price.

Tycer7

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
Well, I also would not put a value on it right now, even with the pictures. The value really depends on what can be verified about the markings and any history you might be able to find.

I will tell you though, the star on the frame under the crane tells me that it has probably been inspected by a NYCPD armorer. Thus it might be a NYCPD (Transit force - subway system, rail system etc.). If you have the box and manual it may also give a clue on where it came from. The 162-42XXX dates it to 1988, last year of manufacture The "Transit P.D." and "4395" were not put there by Ruger. Probably by the armorer before issue.

If it is a GS-83NYCPD DAO gun, it is pretty rare and would command a higher selling price.
I'm not sure how to verify other than I know the officer who I bought it from and that it was in "evidence" for two years and during that time the Transit cops switched to semi-autos.

How would I provide authentication?

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
A letter from Ruger will let you know if this one of the GS-83NYCPD revolver's.
Here you go

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=150997

Tycer7

Bearcat
T.A. WORKMAN said:
A letter from Ruger will let you know if this one of the GS-83NYCPD revolver's.
Here you go

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=150997
Looks like that service is dead until March. I'll call Ruger tomorrow. I'm hoping to sell this pretty soon.

Tycer7

Bearcat
Called Ruger. That service is truly dead until March and then they will begin to sort the backlog.
Called NYPD. They have no records of issued pieces prior to 2006.
Off to GB it goes without provenance. Wish me luck.

Tycer7

Bearcat
Chuck 100 yd said:
Tycer, You are missed over on Leverguns.com
What have you been doing???
Lurking. I post most days. I've done committed to buy a gun that I really should not use my cash for. I should not listen to guntalk and then have Davidson's alert me when stock is in. Then, within minutes of the email find that they are all allocated. Of course one shows up on GB at a LGS....... I pick it up tomorrow. Gotta replace the cash. Time to sell something. This Ruger should just about cover it.

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
If you post the entire serial number, a person who has a gun in the adjacent range may be able to determine the likely model number it shipped under, as these were typically produced in batches and then shipped to a distributor.

Don't think you should have any concerns posting the number as many members here on the forum provide them.

Tycer7

Bearcat
I posted it in the long thread but I'll be happy to do it here too. 162-42209 I'm sure it is a GS-83 NYCPD

Tycer7

Bearcat
So the officer who sold me the gun would buy it back if the price was within his budget or he could provide a copy of his Transit PD shield to help me sell it.

So what do I tell him I should expect to get for this gun at auction?

You really can't tell him what you might get, if it's going to auction. It could go very high ($700-$800) to a collector that is looking for one or it could go low ($450) if there is no interest (which I doubt). You can set a reserve price for the minimum you want to get out of it. You can also set a 'Buy It Now" price that might entice a person to buy it quickly if they think the price might go higher than the BIT price.

The plus factor you have is that with the star on the frame, it makes it a NYCPD gun which makes it worth more as a collectible. The serial number is in the correct range so I don't have any doubt that it is a GS-83NYCPD and as such it should fetch a premium.

Tycer7

Bearcat
OK Ron et al, here's the link:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=394921145

Latest posts