Is the S&W Shield better than a LC9s? Why

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I never seriously considered buying any of the LC series. I understand they have their fans, but they don't seem to be made to the same standards of quality, strength, or good design as the SR's. I actually shoot my carry guns alot, and expect them to work just as well as my larger ones. If Ruger had created a thin, single stack SR9C from the get go instead of the LC9 I would have happily bought one. Glock now has a .380 and small 9mm that are the same good design as their larger guns, as do some other makers. That is exactly what Ruger should have done to begin with.

By the way, congrats on Ruger trading you into an SP-101. That thing will never wear out!!

44-357 said:
let us know the quality on the sp101 357. at my local gunshop they got in one with 4 inch barrel and the finish work on it was bad. the barrel had chatter marks from the frame to the front sight. and the ribbed sight palne will cut you on the other side. he is sending it back to them.

I've carried a SP101 for years.
I carry a Sig P938 now and never look back.

The Shield and LC9s are both great guns.
Shoot them both and see which you like better...

BradCayton

Bearcat
The Shield and LC9s are both great guns.
Shoot them both and see which you like better...[/quote]

What he said.

My wife and daughter liked the grip better on the Shield, I liked the LC9s grip. The girls have put 300 rounds through each of the Shields, 50 Blazer ball and 250 of my lead bullet reloads, with no issues and are happy with their choices. I've run 500 rounds of mixed, factory ball, reloaded XTP HP and lead bullet rounds without a bobble of any kind through the LC9s and still like the Ruger better myself. I don't think you would go wrong either way.

gnorm

Bearcat
Fatdaddy said:
The Shield has a stainless slide and better finish

I love Rugers, but, the Shield is clearly a much more refined pistol. Just compare the two side by side and you can see that. Not only that, but why would Ruger put a blued carbon steel slide on a small pistol that is designed for concealed carry? After carrying my LC9 for a short time, it started to rust. I shouldn't have to carry my pistol in a plastic bag of oil. I got rid of it and bought a Shield 9 and haven't looked back.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I love Ruger but I do think they clearly have two tiers of products. The first are the core guns they have made for decades and still sell like crazy. Single action revolvers, 10/22's, .22 auto pistols, GP-100 and SP-100. Then there are the flavor of the month lines like the SR and LC series. They will be in the line as long as they are fashionable and sell well, then replaced with something else. Don't get me wrong, I know these guns have thousands of satisfied owners and Ruger will take care of you if you have problems. However, these guns do have an expiration date on them when Ruger no longer sells them and probably doesn't have parts for them because they were never in their long term plans to begin with.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Here's a different take on why the S&W is "better" than the Ruger for some of us: we can BUY it in CA!

Apparently the good folks at S&W understand something the guy at Ruger missed: 1 in 8 people in this country live in CA, and by extension the number of gun owners is estimated to be similar. And that's a mighty big market to toss to the wind... especially in the name of "teaching the politicians a lesson." Perhaps S&W did learn something from their battles with the government during the Clinton administration.

So even if the LC9s happened to be the best pistol ever built, from a standpoint of function, reliability, feel, accuracy, longevity, etc., it's worth NOTHING to the guy who can't buy one. Put simply, the gun in one's hand will always be better than a picture in a catalog.

Rick C

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I had the Shield, it was a nice weapon but I am on the heavier side and do not carry in the waist band. I use pocket carry. The shield just did not fit the pocket well enough. The LC9S fits a lot better and I have had 0 problems with mine. never had a magazine drop or luckily anything like that. Works great for me.
The Shield was a little more comfortable to shoot due to the size but that was it. I am in the process of trying to find the LC9 locally now that way I do not have to use a holster in the pocket.

revhigh

Hawkeye
DA_TriggR4Ruger said:
I've shot the LC9s, Shield 9mm, Shield .40 (HE11 N0), and Sig P938.

Soo... I'm the happy owner of two P938s, they just fit me better. I'll never look back.

Don't you know this is a RUGER forum ??? :mrgreen:

REV

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Don't you know this is a RUGER forum ??? :mrgreen:

Hi,

What's a Ruger, REV? I remember hearing that name somewhere... ;) Ok, I'm funnin' ya a little, but there's a serious side to this, too.

I don't like sweet drinks, so no Kool-Aid for me, thank you very much. I like to think I've got as good a sense of humor as the next guy, but somehow I guess I don't get the joke: if I want to buy an autoloading pistol in one of several calibers, and I limit my choices to four mfrs, Ruger, S&W, Beretta and Sig, here's what CA's Att'y Gen'l says I can buy right now (and, no, guys, I'm not gonna move to another State just to buy a Little Cheap Pistol, but yes, I did give the crystal ball a tiny spritz of Windex):

From Ruger:

.22 LR--zero models (Note that "model" may include a simple variant, such as a two tone, etc.)
.380 ACP--1 model
9mm--2 models (Ruger's catalog says no 9mm on their CA list, so the writing's on the wall there, no?)
.40 S&W--zero models
.45 ACP--zero models

Total possible models: 3

From S&W:

.22 LR--3 models
.380 ACP--zero models
9mm--2 models
.40 S&W--2 models
.45 ACP--zero models

Total possible models: 7

From Beretta:

.22 LR--2 models
.380 ACP--4 models
9mm--19 models
.40 S&W--13 models
.45 ACP--1 model

Total possible models: 39

From Sig:

.22 LR--4 models
.380 ACP--4 models
9mm--12 models
.40 S&W--8 models
.45 ACP--20 models

Total possible models: 48

Looks like Ruger forgot to bring their footballs, inflated or not, left their uniforms and helmets at home, didn't bother to show up at the stadium, yet still expects us to think they're interested in playing the game? Right... But no worries, they've got a raft of house branded CRKT knives to make up for it, right? And some weird new ammo that's really hard to shoot in guns we can't buy! Even Smith, who really isn't such a big player in the auto game compared to their position with revolvers, does better. ;)

Mean time, them furriners (who make a number of those guns right here already) really DO want to take our money while Ruger's apparently doing so well they don't even need it. At this rate, defections from the fold aren't just expected, they're being forced! Result being we'll have TRRF soon enough: The Remember Ruger Forum! :(

Rick C

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Any word on how the gun roster lawsuit is going? I have read that S&W and Ruger both let a number of their models fall off the list because they believed that the guns were going to soon be removed anyway and they would just proceed with their lawsuit.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Any word on how the gun roster lawsuit is going? I have read that S&W and Ruger both let a number of their models fall off the list because they believed that the guns were going to soon be removed anyway and they would just proceed with their lawsuit.

Hi,

So far, not so good.

Remember, I am NOT a lawyer, so anything I say here is only personal opinion based on a number of years' worth of observation thru a layman's eyes. Feb. 26, 2015, the District Court issued summary judgment in Peña v. Lindley in favor of the defendant, Lindley. In other words, the Court ruled in favor of the State of CA since the original complaint named Mr. Lindley in his position as Chief of the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms. The decision is available here: https://www.calgunsfoundation.org/litigation/pena-v-lindley/ Click on the bold link by that date to read the decision. At first read, it doesn't look like the plaintiffs made much of a case in that Court's opinion. The case was immediately appealed to the Ninth Circuit Court, where I assume it still rests.

Several references in the plaintiffs' complaints were to the Peruta case (concerning San Diego County's procedure on issuing CCWs.) A three judge panel from the Ninth decided on appeal from the District Court in favor of the appellant (Peruta) in that case, so it might seem a good basis for some of the Peña case's arguments. However, the panel's ruling was then appealed to the Ninth en banc by San Diego County. That appeal was heard on (or about) June 16, 2015, and a final decision still awaits. As such, I don't know how much weight the earlier panel's decision carries by reference. Whether the Court would wait on a Peña decision to first see how Peruta plays out is an unknown to me.

What is NOT an unknown is that CA gets sued a lot but doesn't lose too often. Whether the laws are so carefully crafted as to withstand challenges originally, or the challenges simply don't find their Achilles heel when they are brought, I can't say. What I do know is that waiting and relying on a pending court case to be favorable when making a difficult to reverse "business decision" can be sketchy practice at best, disastrous at worst. The idea that Ruger (and perhaps S&W? I'm not familiar with what they've done on this issue) would let guns fall off the roster, in hopes of a favorable court decision, guns which were grandfathered in and only required "renewal" fees each year (in the amount of $200/model per the court papers, a mere pittance in the grand scheme of things) to remain rostered, shows me a level of naivete or an outright lack of political, legal and business acumen that is disturbing. If not in general, it certainly is at the level of dealing with the State of CA.

Anyone I talk to who's lived here very long understands the idea that the State isn't near as likely to outlaw something, on its face, as it is to make it so difficult to comply that people will give up and attrition will do what actual legal documents might have trouble doing (back to the idea the laws are so carefully crafted as to withstand challenge.) Sadly, the District Court seems to have come out and said the very same thing, if in more legalistic terms, and appellants would have to come up with a far more iron clad argument before the Ninth than they did as plaintiffs at the lower level if the Ninth can be expected to reverse the District Court's decision.

Methinks Mr. Fifer screwed the pooch on this deal, and we'll all suffer sooner or later from his decision, regardless of how the Courts' decisions affect us! Remember, if CA wins, there are other States just watching to see how it happens so they can copy the drill. Fortified with the knowledge Ruger caved as easily as they apparently did, your State might be one of them... perhaps even the next.

Returning to the OP, the old adage says a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so with that as background, for me the answer is still "Yes!"

Rick C

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
kbm6893 said:
I've fired hundreds of rounds through my LC9-S. Factory target, factory hollow points, and even my new reloads with different powder charges. All fired and extracted perfectly. Never had a mag come out yet. I love this gun. And the reloads were 115 grain hollow points.

I also have fired many rounds though my Ruger LC9S Pro and not had one singe FTF or problem with this pistol. The magazines are not dropping out unless I push the magazine release button.

I carry it with Hornady Critical Duty +P 135 grain +P Flexforce ammo and some times when I get to the range I shoot this ammo before I realized that I didn't switch to my normal ammo (Blazer Brass 115 gr 9 mm ).

I did read somewhere about some guns having problems with their feed ramps and hollow points so right after I got my Ruger I got the Dremel Tool out and polished the feed ramp a bit. But the ramp appeared fine before I did that. But I wanted to try to eliminate any potential feeding problems at the Start. So far I've not have one FTF problems. Either failure to feed or failure to fire.

The strength of the spring on the firing pin is unrelated to the trigger pull. Once you release the sear on the trigger the spring on the firing pin is release and fires the pistol. The firing pin spring on the striker is not used to release the trigger or the sear from what I understand. Now there are other smaller springs that connect to the trigger's sear and other parts that help release the striker's firing pin.

So the striker spring surrounding he firing pin would not have that much of an effect on the trigger pull would it?

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
jstanfield103 said:
I had the Shield, it was a nice weapon but I am on the heavier side and do not carry in the waist band. I use pocket carry. The shield just did not fit the pocket well enough. The LC9S fits a lot better and I have had 0 problems with mine. never had a magazine drop or luckily anything like that. Works great for me.
The Shield was a little more comfortable to shoot due to the size but that was it. I am in the process of trying to find the LC9 locally now that way I do not have to use a holster in the pocket.

If I were concerned with the LC9S or LC9S Pro being too small then I would carry my Walthers PPQ M2 instead of the Smith and Wesson Shield. But I like the smaller size of the Ruger LC9S which makes it so much easier to conceal under my "T" shirts in the hot summer months. The bigger guns stick out like a sore thumb if you are on the heavy side and wear tight fitting clothing. I'd have to buy 3x or 4x shirts to have a loose enough fit to hide my larger pistols when out in the public. I'm 5'10" and weight 175 pounds dressed. So I needed the smaller sized gun for conceal carry. :D

M4eagle

Bearcat
OldePhart said:
jjmIII_Ruger said:
I had an LC9 (not an S) and sold it to get a Shield 9mm.
Still plenty of Rugers in the safe, but not a carry 9mm.

Rei40c said:
...But neither are either companies flagship of quality so to speak.
The Shield in an M&P model. And I'm not sure what they would do to improve the quality. It is perfect IMO for it's intended task.
Some folks just have trouble thinking of a "plastic" gun as being an item of quality...having shot the bejabbers out of some Glocks over the years I'm not one of those folks. :)

I looked at a Shield before I got my LC9s and I didn't have any beef with the apparent quality of the Shield and fit and finish are noticeably better than what Ruger is producing these days...I just didn't like the trigger feel near as well as the one on the Ruger (or even as well as the typical Glock trigger, for that matter). If the Glock proves to be uncomfortable for carry on days I have to tuck-in I may still end up with a Shield for those days.

I didn't have any complaints with the LC9s grip for my hand...it was a bit snappy but not terrible and accuracy, while not quite as good as a Glock 26, was decent for a small pistol. As I said, and I've mentioned in other posts, I liked the LC9s well enough that I went to the trouble to shape a square trigger guard face to improve the two-handed hold. Some people seem to think I'm gloating over these troubles or something when really I'm just sad about it...I really wish it had worked out as I very much liked the pistol right up until I realized that it could have left me in the situation of having discovered that I'd just brought a paperweight (or, to be completely fair, maybe a single-shot pistol) to a gun fight...

BTW, for the folks who were real concerned about whether my LC9s was really going back to Ruger...just checked tracking and it was delivered at twenty minutes past noon, today. LOL

As of the end of 2015, the Shield is by far the best selling gun in the country n for very good reasons. It has become the best selling, best built most reliable n easy to Conceal single stack on the market.

rich56 said:
I have a LC9s and love the concealability and shoot ability of it. In other threads people said they liked the Shield better. What makes Shield lovers say that?

I only say I prefer the Shield, because the Shield fits me better, and is easier (for me) to shoot. Although very nearly the same size as the LC9, the Shield feels and acts like a bigger gun.

They are both in the same league.

I have shot the LC9, and own a couple. They never leave the safe. The Shield is my choice.

If I did not own the Shield, and the LC9 was my only choice, I'd be quite okay with that, too.

If we expect either the LC9, or the Shield to be a highly refined pistol, I think we're really over thinking this. They have a really simple mission, and I think they both perform that mission quite well.

WAYNO.

welder

Buckeye
WAYNO" If we expect either the LC9 said:
Very well said.

I for one am glad we have the choices between several good quality guns and another man's choice has little to no bearing on how I spend my coin.

eveled

Hawkeye
The Walther PPS is better all around IMHO. The paddle mag release is perfect on a small ccw, and the three sizes of magazines make it very versatile.

PPSlineup_zpsb03562ae.jpg

But to each his own, lc9s,shield,or PPS, you really can't go wrong. Three great guns.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
I have a shield because if fits exactly into what it's desinged for. S&W has sold over a million of them so there a lot of people that agree. Second, all I had to do was to shoot my friends shield it's the easiest to shoot single stack 9's I've shot.

Like the above poster the Walther PPS is a great choice also and since Walther has dropped the price to $350/375 it's in the price range that works for me, I'm looking to get one now. It's as good as the Shield and a bit better in some. But hay there's lots to like out there now.