Is the Ruger SR556 considered a success?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hr2lrn

Single-Sixer
Just wondering, is the Ruger SR556 selling? Is it a "hit" or just a yawn? I'm not into black rifles anymore, so I don't have my finger on the pulse.
Anyone here knows?
Thanks
Ray

kk9z

Bearcat
Yes, it is a success!

It never had the kind of demand built up for it that the ~$800 AR-15 rifles had; however, the SR556 has been outselling many of the lower end guns over the past few months. (for my company at least)

Ruger seems to believe that it is a success as well. They introduced the 6.8mm version only a week or so ago.

It came out at a fairly high price point, but the perceived value seems to back up the price.

We have been testing both of the .223 versions for an upcoming sales event at a range, and so far have had no problems.

I did learn that it is a bad idea to grab the barrel shortly after running a couple of Beta Mags through it as quickly as possible!!!

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Locally, I would say no. One LGS had the same SR556 sitting on the shelf for months before it sold.

Neither LGS has an SR556 for sale as of last weekend.

My impression is that sales of ARs are way down. How the Ruger is faring nationally I couldn't guess.

gunman42782

Hunter
Can't speak for anybody but my own experiences, but at the shop where I work we don't sell many of them. The cheaper ARs sell much faster. I think that since Ruger introduced the SR556 we might have sold a total of 4 or 5 of them.

boaman88

Bearcat
They are selling all they make. I guess that is a success. Compared to other AR makers it may not be a big success. I guess it all depends on Rugers goal and only they can answer that.

chet15

Hawkeye
Probably apples and oranges to compare the cheaper priced AR's with the Ruger SR556 since there are those who have economics in mind and aren't going to go out and spend the money on a tricked out AR, whether it be the SR556 or any of the others. As a comparison, a huge amount of people bought Sears model shotguns or the like a few decades ago, as compared to those who bought a good Winchester, Browning or Remington (a matter of economics).
A true comparison might be if Ruger were to come out with a "base" SR556 without the features of the expensive model. Then it might be fair to make such a comparison. Ruger usually has ways of cutting to bare bones in order to get a reasonable sell price, so the final price of such a Ruger would probably have its advantages.
Chet15