Is anyone participating

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vito said:
I agree. I will not shave my prostate for the entire month!
Perhaps you wouldn't be so flip about it if you had some serious prostate problems. This is to bring awareness to the problem men face. If you don't care to participate that is fine but don't make fun of a serious problem. Hopefully you will never have a problem but I surely wouldn't make light of it if you did.

dougader

Hunter
Will do. My Dad fought the cancer for 14 years before it took over. His will directed that his nody ne cremated after death, that he would kill that d*mn cancer if it was the last thing he was able to do.

volshooter

Buckeye
Jokingly I have been on board for 30 years, except the one time I cut it all off to see what was under it. Never again.
This is a serious issue dear to me. I have lost friends and family to this disease. Know a couple fighting it now.
Early detection is a must!

737tdi

Hunter
Well due to the Choctaw Indian blood in me I can't grow a beard. Just weird ugly patches on my face. Don't think SWA would like the look. Oh and I have to maintain a respirator qualification which precludes facial hair. Y'all grow an inch or two for me.

Karl

tookalisten

Blackhawk
No, I often do not shave while on vacation but actually prefer a clean shave to a beard.

With that, I did visit my primary care doc this past week for a full exam so felt that was the best way to recognize prostate awareness.

My Dad passed several years ago from prostate cancer; so please do go get checked and thanks to all of you who are raising awareness!

So far I've chosen to have Doctors leave my prostate and other parts alone except for my ear canals.... and teeth..... I know this will come back to get me one day... but so far it has worked out fine except for the 250K I've paid in health insurance over the past 33 years.
(I'm 58)

Last time a doctor looked at my privates was just at 34 or 35 years ago and he did a little work down there and I've been shooting blanks ever since.

I did not even know about the not shaving and I prefer to look clean for new customers when I show up at their front door.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
So far I've chosen to have Doctors leave my prostate and other parts alone except for my ear canals.... and teeth..... I know this will come back to get me one day... but so far it has worked out fine except for the 250K I've paid in health insurance over the past 33 years.
(I'm 58)

Last time a doctor looked at my privates was just at 34 or 35 years ago and he did a little work down there and I've been shooting blanks ever since.

I did not even know about the not shaving and I prefer to look clean for new customers when I show up at their front door.

I would recommend just a yearly physical, blood work, possibly even a stress test as simple preventative measures that don't involve flashing your junk. I meet way too many people who try to keep a "ain't seen a doctor" streak going that end up debilitated for life.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I guess I'm an inadvertent participant. I had planned to shave this winter but after that cold snap the first week of October, I reaffirmed that I need the beard. The nerve damage to my face and neck simply demand I keep more insulation there.
I'll let the beard grow but keep it better trimmed than in the past. This is a compromise due to the "meet the public" nature of my present job.

volshooter

Buckeye
When I did shave I used a straight razor until I found the girls were using better razors than us. Give them pink ones a try, they is smooth.
I did love the fresh shaved feel, but didn't like my own looks, so I let it grow. I have Cherokee blood.......... might be why I have never been able to grow a decent beard. Not at all full, very patchy. (somewhere I have an "official" card saying I am "registered") so what, I am an American, non-hyphenated.

We get a discount on our insurance for pro-active visits. I visit my Dr. regularly and endure whatever exams are required by HER and my insurance. I have an appointment tomorrow to talk about my last blood work.
It does take some humility on my part, to allow a female Dr. + a female nurse/assistant in the room to do their job. Hey, it is for my benefit. I might live longer and not suffer from a treatable disease for it.

Please, damn your pride, and get checked!! Man up and help beat this horrible disease!

Side note, I have a pink ribbon on my ride. Let's beat women's breast cancer as well!

Please, Rick

Paul B

Buckeye
A tale of two people.

The first person is me. Thanks to a good doctor who insisted on spot check ups every three months with a PSA and A1C tests every six months, they caught my prostate cancer early. I was given the choice of standard radiation, surgery or radioactive seed implants. I chose the implants. After monthly PSA test for a year then every three month for another four year I was declared totally cancer free. I've been cancer free for close to fifteen years now.

The second story is about my stepson Marcel. Big husky handsome kid, a body builder and a terror with the ladies, well he was until he got married was always complaining about pain in his back. He didn't like going to the doctor and just figured he's hurt his back lifting weights. The job he has changed insurance companies and the new one made everyone get a totally complete check up. Turns out his painful back is prostate cancer and it's not only stage four but has gone into the bones. The doc said it was terminal and gave him six months to a year. That was almost two years ago. The kid is on hell of a fighter doing the treatments plus getting into several herbal remedies. He still able to work and still works out with the weights.
We pray for him every night looking for a miracle. I'm not looking forward to losing a kid that I consider my son, even if he is 52.

So yes, prostate cancer is no joke and not something to be made fun of. Lots of times you don't have a clue you have it and it takes a finger wave plus a PSA test to pick it up. Take my word on that. I had no clue until the tests. Never felt a thing. I got lucky and mine was caught early. I strongly suggest even if you think nothing is wrong that you get the tests and the "wave". It could save your life. Been there and done it.
Paul B.

I decided to grow a beard only because an old Platoon Sergeant I had when I was 1SG was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Perhaps the beard will help bring awareness to those out there, that believe that examinations are not necessary, and will make them understand that it is NOT a laughing matter once you are found to have a problem. Early detection is a key to cure.

Latest posts