Info on the XD requested

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Campbell8402

Bearcat
first off let me say I DO KNOW THIS IS A RUGER FORUM!
ok so i am new to the market as soon i will be buying my first gun. origonally i was SOLD on the p95. i was motly sold due to the price and reliability of the pistol. well about a week ago i went to the range and rented a few guns (p95, sr9 and xd9) and ran about 50 rounds through each. while to one point i did like the p95 the xd was very very comfortable for me. the sr9 in particular was not comfy at all. in fact felt akward in my hands.
that being said im curious if anyone here has had any experience with the xds? good bad or indefferent i would like to hear any comments about the xd9 (from someone other than the gunshop and xd enthusiasts)

maybe the p345 will be next...........

revhigh

Hawkeye
I've shot many, but never owned any. They're good shooting, reliable firearms, and if you like them, don't worry about any problems. I've never really heard of any, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any. They're in the same class as M&P's and Glocks .... good reliable plastic carry pieces.

REV

Campbell8402

Bearcat
thanks rev! i was really interested in the p95 origonaly because of my budget (still think its a great pistol) but i have the feeling that if i got the p95 everytime i went out i would be sayin hmm i should sell it and get the xd. they way i think is everytime i pick up my gun it should make me smile.... make sense?

ConradM

Blackhawk
XD's are awesome! Thinking about picking up one of the new 3.8's here soon. They had some teething problems at first but it all seems to be worked out.

revhigh

Hawkeye
One thing I WILL say, is that a friend bought the newer XD/M(atch) and was VERY DISAPPOINTED in it's accuracy. I shot it and had to agree ... his standard XD in 9MM shot far better than the supposedly 'better' XD/M.

I might do some research on that if I were you, that is, if you were considering the XD/M.

In that price range, if you don't mind an all metal gun, I'd highly recommend you check out the CZ75B's. They are ergonomically PERFECT and outstandingly accurate right out of the box. The most accurate of all factory 9MM's, as far as I'm concerned.

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I had an XD .40S&W subcompact for a while and found it to be a great, reliable, modern interpretation of the Glock-type design. Very nice for what it is.

A friend and fellow RF member has had a similar experience with an XD/M as above. While still a nice gun, and good for combat distances, I found the trigger and accuracy better on the non-"/M" model.

-- Sam

ConradM

Blackhawk
Yosemite Sam":1v6rhmwx said:
I had an XD .40S&W subcompact for a while and found it to be a great, reliable, modern interpretation of the Glock-type design. Very nice for what it is.

A friend and fellow RF member has had a similar experience with an XD/M as above. While still a nice gun, and good for combat distances, I found the trigger and accuracy better on the non-"/M" model.

-- Sam

As far as the know, the XD is nothing like a Glock or SR9 for that matter when it comes to design.

ConradM

Blackhawk
I can't comment on the difference in accuracy between the XD and XDm... But I can say the trigger on the XDm is SWEET.

Campbell8402

Bearcat
well thank you guys very much for the advice. i appreciate it and i am glad to hear good things from people who are enthusiasts of another company.

revhigh

Hawkeye
ConradM":1vknke5g said:
As far as the know, the XD is nothing like a Glock or SR9 for that matter when it comes to design.

I just meant the same class of weapon ... plastic, full-size, hi-cap duty/combat 9MM's. :D

REV

Campbell8402

Bearcat
just an idea of how i shot my first time out in about 8 yrs..... this was about 12 yds out and the shots outside the target were because the first two were center target and i didnt see them and tried to adjust (high right)

22040_268925384609_522929609_447-1.jpg

Mike J

Hunter
Campbell-I have an XD-40 I bought in 2007. It has somewhere between 2500 & 3000 rounds through it. It hasn't malfunctioned on me yet. There is a guy over at TheHighRoad.Org that says he has 17000 rounds through his with no malfunctions. He has used it to take a lot of high round count classes. An XD is different from a Glock as a Glock is considered DAO-An XD is technically single action. Mine has been accurate & reliable. You might want to dig around some at www.xdtalkforums.com if you want more information about them.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
XD's have a pretty good reputation. You should be happy with one, IMO - especially if it fits your hands well.

JBL13

Bearcat
Campbell8402":cwbca2ih said:
first off let me say I DO KNOW THIS IS A RUGER FORUM!
ok so i am new to the market as soon i will be buying my first gun. origonally i was SOLD on the p95. i was motly sold due to the price and reliability of the pistol. well about a week ago i went to the range and rented a few guns (p95, sr9 and xd9) and ran about 50 rounds through each. while to one point i did like the p95 the xd was very very comfortable for me. the sr9 in particular was not comfy at all. in fact felt akward in my hands.
that being said im curious if anyone here has had any experience with the xds? good bad or indefferent i would like to hear any comments about the xd9 (from someone other than the gunshop and xd enthusiasts)

maybe the p345 will be next...........

I haven't shot an XD-9, but my usual carry piece is an XD-45 Compact. It's an outstanding gun, and has never missed a beat. I also have a P97 that I haven't fired in years. There's no comparison between the two -- the XD fits my hand really well and doesn't slip around in my grip like the P97 does.

My brother used to have a P95. It shot well and was a good gun, but he sold it and now carries an XDm in .40.

Pixs

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

Tight budget and limited to 10 round magazines in CA. The three models I narrowed it down to were all .40 S&W; my reason for the .40 S&W is basically more bang for the buck for what I will be using the pistol. I noticed that you are looking at .45 ACP and 9mm Luger. Kind of apples and oranges.

S&W Sigma was the hands down price winner but not by enough to get me to buy one, I would need help pulling the trigger and I doubt that I could keep the sights on target for that long hard pull (17 lbs on the one I was looking at).

The XD was the most expensive and offered features I have no interest in and quite a bit I wanted that were not available.

The Ruger P-944 has less felt recoil and is quicker to get back on target and has the lightest trigger pull + it's DA/SA. The decocker/safty is easy to use and allows an extra round in the pipe with a little more confidence.

The Sigma's trigger guard was awkward feeling when holding the pistol. The XD didn't feel right to me but no serious faults except the recoil. The P-944, overall was the most comfortable and it is made here in the USA, my little part in helping our economy.

I don't know what your potential target is but you may want to look at the ballistics of of the three calibers I mentioned. Check out different types of ammo, not just one. Match the caliber and pistol to your needs and good luck with your choice.

Best to all

Pixs

Campbell8402

Bearcat
i mentioned the 9mm and the 45 as seperate choices .... right now the 9mm is the gun i will be going with due to cost of ammunition. the 45 was in refrence to a future buy