Idea: aftermarket Lightning gripframe on old model ruger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheThurmanator

Bearcat
I'm wondering if it's possible to fit the below linked aftermarket grip frame to an old model Single Six:

http://www.gungrip.com/items_558.html

I've got a beater old model single six with a 6.5 inch barrel on layaway at my local gunshop and I'm really tempted to replace the worn out aluminum grip frame with this, but it seems to be for new model guns only. I've read on here that the trigger return spring is set up differently on the old models so I imagine there's some modification in store there. Thoughts?

contender

Ruger Guru
You are correct about the OM trigger return springs set up differently than the NM's. The OM's have a plunger & spring assy behind the trigger where a hole in the frame allows them to stay in place. The NM trigger return spring assy has a pin in hte side of the frame for the center of the spring, and another pin behind that for the legs of the spring.

Now, many of us who have "tinkered" with NM frames on OM guns have made a metal "block" to fit in the space behind the trigger, drilled it for the retainer pin, and added a hole for the OM plunger & spring.

SOmewhere in the archives around here is a pictorial of this "block" & how it works.
So, yes, you can get a NM styled gripframe & install it on am OM gun. Doing the reverse is a bit different & I've not seen it done.

TheThurmanator

Bearcat
^^^
Eric, the link you posted brings me to "file not found" error message. Check it again maybe? Thanks either way!

PS you're only a couple hours from me, perhaps when the projects done we'll have to meet up to test the results.

TheThurmanator

Bearcat
Ah alright, that looks simple enough. Has anyone bought one of these lightning frames before? I've never heard of the company and the price seems almost suspiciously reasonable for such a specialty item.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
You can get Cimarron "P" OR "P" jr with lighting grip . The whole gun is cheap and they shoot good

IMG_0005-4.jpg

connortn

Bearcat
Don't know about the company you listed, but I have a grip frame for one of the Cimarron "Thunderer" revolvers that I purchased several years ago for a project that never evolved. I would sell it if it would do you any good. I don't remember it working for a Ruger without serious modifications as I think that was what I had intended to do with it. I have the checkered wood grips for it also, but seperated the two halves to get them to work on another modded birdshead grip frame.

PM me if interested. I'd have to dig them out but shouldn't be too much trouble.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
There are two common ways to adapt them:

Easiest, price $45:
A drop-in adapter trigger from Dave Clements Custom Guns http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

Make simple adapator to house old style trigger return spring and plunger, the existing nm trigger spring retaining pin thru the hole in the side holds it in place; here's mine:
orig.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
contender said:
SOmewhere in the archives around here is a pictorial of this "block" & how it works............

44617540.jpg

I've made quite a few of these after staring at a NM grip frame for a while and got an idea I just Had to try..... :roll:

flatgate

COR

Blackhawk
Gary Reeder did some of thse under his "Bandit" themed gun. He used to have some extras laying around...matter of fact he just sold a brass one a few weeks back. Might save you some trouble....

TheThurmanator

Bearcat
Also, quick thought: anyone have an idea what an old model Single Six grip frame would fetch in the classifieds? I'll be twice as likely to go for this if I know that I can make a little money back off the old parts.