I have a dilemma

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mill428

Bearcat
Hey guys,

I recently bought a single six at a gun show. I had been looking for a shooter so I wasn't all that concerned about the condition. The one I found was at a table clear in the back and I got it for what I thought was a great deal. It is a 6.5" barrel OM, three screw, and it's unconverted. The finish is thin in areas and you can tell it has spent some time in a holster. But it shoots perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.

When I got it home, and was cleaning it up, I noticed the serial number had a D prefix. The D was different than the rest of the numbers. Appeared to be hand stamped. The serial number is D502XXX. When I researched it, I found very little information about it other than it may have been made during a run in 1968 where Ruger inadvertently numbered a few Single Sixes using already used serial numbers for Super Single Sixes (I hope that makes sense). To remedy the situation, they stamped each one with a D in reference to the duplicate serial number. In any case it doesn't sound like many of them were produced before they noticed the mistake.

This is only information I have come to understand using primarily the internet so I may be way off base, but this is my dilemma. I usually refinish/modify my handguns - just to make them my own. I am not a huge fan of the longer barrel lengths and was planning on either cutting this one down an inch or finding another 5.5" barrel. I would have bought one with a shorter barrel in the first place but I have had a heck of a time finding any of the OM Single Sixes (which I prefer) in my area. Since there were a few nicks on the grip frame I was going to polish it as well and make some new grips.

My question is this...is this something that I should do to an OM SS that has a relatively unique serial number? I know some don't care those kind of things, but I would hate to deface something that someone else would consider collectable. I am not a collector - just a shooter. Would I be better off trying to trade it for a short barrel OM - to someone who valued it more for the collector value?

I realize it may be nothing unique, but I though I would run it by you guys before I did anything drastic with it. If I do end up keeping it I would like to find an OM fixed sight 5.5 inch barrel to install rather than cutting the existing barrel.

Thanks for your insight.
Craig

RonEgg

Blackhawk
The D prefix means that someone screwed up in the manufacture of your SS and there were two guns made with that serial number, hence the "D" for duplicate. Some folks find them more interesting than others. I sold a OM Blackhawk to a collector as I was going to convert it to 44 special for the same reason that you stated and didn't want to "corrupt" an otherwise fine handgun. Someone may post here wanting your SS, then it is up to you.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
If you like the revolver, why not istall shorter barrel? That will save the older barrel and the expense of cutting it, installing a new sight, etc.

Plus when passed on to its next caretaker, it will be easy to restore it to its OEM configuration and maintain any collector value and interest....

M'BOGO

Buckeye
Ray Newman said:
If you like the revolver, why not istall shorter barrel? That will save the older barrel and the expense of cutting it, installing a new sight, etc.

Plus when passed on to its next caretaker, it will be easy to restore it to its OEM configuration and maintain any collector value and interest....

The barrel might get buggered in doing this.

Welcome mill428

I'm like you, not a collector, but wouldn't want to de-value a collector. You might find a trade for what you want, or get a good price for it. Some folks really like the numbers game, consecutives and such. Out of respect for them I'd offer it up with a want to trade, maybe get exactly what you are looking for, and make someone else happy. There are a lot of good folks here, who have a serious bug.

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
If it were me I'd put in the classified section for trade, ask for exactly what you want and save the hassle of cutting or replacing the barrel. If in a week or two there's no takers and your ready to be moving on than do whatever you want with it, hey you tried. If there's anyone who's going to be excited about a duplicate serial numbered OM single six there probably here.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted, a "D" gun is a bit desirable to collectors. Once you modify it,, it loses any collector value. This includes refinishing, cutting, etc. With as many Rugers as I own,, I don't have a single "D" gun myself & would love to stumble upon one like you did.
The collectors who enjoy the numbers game in collecting would love to have the complete number, as it may go with the non-D gun somebody has. Matching us such stuff helps make interesting collections & displays.

mill428

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies! I appreciate your input. I think I will take a few pictures and post it in the classifieds. Once again, I am not a collector but I completely understand the thought process. I just can't afford to have multiples of the same type of gun - not that I wouldn't want to. All I want at this point is a good, reliable shooter.

I have been into auto restoration on some level for the last 30 years and love to find an original, untouched car with all of it's history still "written" on it's surface. I think the proper (and trendy) term for it now is "patina." It used to mean it needed a paint job. Now it's an opportunity to experience something that hasn't been remade or worked over - has a little personality of it's own. It's only original once. I have come across dozens of cars over the last three decades that were ruined by someone else with seemingly good intentions. Breaks my heart :cry:

Craig

Rclark

Hunter
But it shoots perfectly. Exactly what I wanted.
.... Then I'd shoot it and enjoy it (if it was NIB... that would be a bit different) . OM anything is hard enough to find. I'm a 5.5" barrel guy myself, but my NM Single Six is 6 1/2". Still very much enjoyable to shoot, so I'll hold onto it. Also have a .357 4 5/8" revolver and another .357 in 6 1/2" but both are still fun to shoot. Just say'n!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Craig,
Welcome to the forum as a relatively new member. I think most responders here if not all appreciate your concern about the potential of getting that gun into the hands of someone who would appreciate its significance. I too am into old cars and we have a sensitivity to anything old that's still original as well as cars and guns.

Your gun does indeed have a duplicate s/n from 1968 of which Ruger has produced many over all production ranges but mostly in the old models; far more than any other firearms manufacturer in my experience!

The s/n could have been duplicated with:

a standard single six w/22 LR cyl only,
a standard SS convertible,
a Super SS convertible,
or a magnum marked convertible with a convertible 22 LR cyl.

The thing to do at this point is to 1st determine which you have, a standard single six w/22 LR cyl only, a magnum marked convertible with a convertible 22 LR cyl (one missing cyl), or a standard SS convertible(one missing cyl). What is roll stamped on the left side of the cyl frame? And are the last 3 digits of the serial number etched or stamped on the front face of the cylinder?

And since you've shot it we know that the cyl in the gun is a 22 LR which looks like the one on the left below:
Old Model Cylinders:
OM22cylinders.jpg

The mag cylinder has shoulders in the chambers, but LR cyls do not, they are bored straight thru.

Bottom line, I agree with those above to try and trade for what you want, but you need to know what you have to represent it accurately for a trade or sale.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Craig,

I just saw your WTT thread:

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to Rugers; "The main rule is, there are no rules!" However, since your cyl has the last 3 s/n digits on it, it was most likely a convertible model and the mag cyl has become separated from the gun. A letter from Ruger will tell you for sure.

mill428

Bearcat
Jim,

You make some excellent points. Great information! That's why I came to this forum in the first place. I have no intentions of misrepresenting what I have and I can agree that if I were on the other end of the trade, it would be good to know the details.

The cylinder does indeed have the last three numbers of the serial number and it matches your picture of the cylinder on the left. The roll mark on the left side of the cylinder frame is RUGER .22 CAL. under which is written SINGLE-SIX. If I understand correctly then, it sounds like this is a convertible SS with the mag cylinder missing.

Is there a number that you can call at Ruger to get this specific information? What does it take to get a letter from them?

Craig