I Don't Think I like My New P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mx842

Bearcat
I have a new P95 and noticed also that it seems lazy as far as ejecting spent rounds. My old P85 would sling them into the next county. I just got a new P94 in 40 and that thing spits them out like it should. It has never missed a beat or jammed but I could see it possibly doing so if everything wasn't right.

The only issue I have is that it shoots to the right a little and the damn new 40 shoots to the left about the same amount only to the other side. I'm going to play with both a little while longer before I do any adjusting just to give them some time to get worn in a little.

QB

Single-Sixer
Another update: Ruger's technician called me back (his name was Andrew). They emailed me a pre-paid UPS label to send the gun in and they'll check it out and send it back to me. I should have it in the mail Wednesday at the latest.

noob

Bearcat
mine had a similar problem. Almost every other round wasn't ejecting. Brought it to my local gun shop, and he "tightened" the extractor and never had a problem since. Ruger sent me a new extractor also, which didn't work out when i put it in. But no complaints since it works flawlessly now with ~500 rounds through it since... Though my Springfield XD9 hasn't had a problem since day 1, with probably close to 1k rounds.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
b.thomas":6zvmw6sb said:
Did you give it a good cleaning and lube before you shot it??

This actually made me laugh a bit as on another forum a member with over 15k posts was complaining about his new handgun stating, "even the packing grease was coming out of the gun".

You gotta clean it and lube before you shoot it. That packing grease can become nearly waxy after a while. You may have to pay particular attention to the spring direction in the P95.

Good luck with the issue to the OP. It does sound like something small.

QB

Single-Sixer
Ruger had my KP95PR back to me within 2 weeks and it's 100%. Even though the gun shouldn't have had the issue to begin with, Ruger's customer service has been #1 as far as I'm concerned. I'm selling the KP95 but only because I now have 2 P89s (stainless and 89T) that I want to keep.

gudel

Bearcat
TRanger":330sduxx said:
Too many people are willing to excuse lousy performance by saying the gun is new and needs a "break-in." A gun should work from the get-go. Something is wrong with it. Send it back.

This is particularly true among 1911 owners. They spent hundreds to thousands only to find their gun jams out of the box :lol:

I think this P95 needs some good cleaning and oiling. When I purchased my KP95, I cleaned it well, never jammed on me once.

Blueduck":1gy9iujt said:
TRanger":1gy9iujt said:
Too many people are willing to excuse lousy performance by saying the gun is new and needs a "break-in." A gun should work from the get-go. Something is wrong with it. Send it back.

With ammo prices being what they are, "Ah just shoot a few hundred rounds through it and see what happens." is not quite the suggestion it used to be.

This is all too true. Guns should function in under all demanding circumstances in all demanding environments, if the gun fails, in a situation were it is actually needed, that could easily mean the death of the person who was going to rely on it.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger":3fj20qo9 said:
Blueduck":3fj20qo9 said:
TRanger":3fj20qo9 said:

With ammo prices being what they are, "Ah just shoot a few hundred rounds through it and see what happens." is not quite the suggestion it used to be.

This is all too true. Guns should function in under all demanding circumstances in all demanding environments, if the gun fails, in a situation were it is actually needed, that could easily mean the death of the person who was going to rely on it.

+1 I have a son in college now. Right now, I can not afford hundreds and hundreds of rounds to "see what happens". My gun money has rapidly evaporated. Therefore I can not add any more of my present guns to a self-defense weapon rotation.

What would most consider the minimum amount of rounds fired without a failure to be considered trustworthy? Thanks.

dave

Bearcat
Excuse, I do not want to offend you; but how firm did you hold the gun ?
IME "limp wrists" occur with guns with light grip frames.
regards.

gudel

Bearcat
ncvikingfan":1mvuvrez said:
What would most consider the minimum amount of rounds fired without a failure to be considered trustworthy? Thanks.

I usually give about couple hundreds. If it's going to fail, it'll show up soon.
When I bought my S&W 686, I notice the revolver's fail to fire in first 50 rounds. Same thing with my S&W MP45, I notice the last round not feeding in first 100 rounds. That's two brand new guns I had to send back..which is why I no longer own any S&W hehe..

Usually I have no problems within the first couple hundreds of out of the box of my Ruger centerfire pistols.
My KP95 never had any jamming problem whatsoever, I just couldn't get used to it's trigger, which makes my shot all over the place.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
yooper1":38qnoy6j said:
I Don't Think I like My New P95

I am willing to help you out.

It is not worth the trouble to try anything more...

You need to package it up and send it to me and in return I will give you 2 fresh peices of paper with Benjamin Franklin on them....

I will even pay shipping

I am here to help out a fellow gun enthusiast!
:wink:
I'll see your two Bennies and raise you a U.S. Grant :wink:

GhosT

Blackhawk
RugerShooter,

Feel free to take others advice...

This is just my standard move with new RUGER semi-autos...{centerfires}

Strip and clean the gun.
Fire at least 300, preferably 500 rounds of generic full metal jacketed ammo..
Strip and clean the gun again.

Then .....PICK yer half dozen best choices of self defense ammo.

After 500 rounds of full metal jacketed rounds...yer gun is broke in.
If after that, ya can't find a load ya trust that will feed......THEN CONTACT RUGER!

Don't try to send yer gun back to the factory before it is broke in......
You'll just get it back...and weeks lost breaking it in!
Of course......JMHO.

Bracsim

Bearcat
I dont know what is wrong with your gun but I know that P95 are one of the best guns a ever owned, I`m planing on buying another P95 so imagine how much I love that P95 model.

stoogeweb

Bearcat
Picked up a P95 this week, 100 rounds and no problems (other than some sight issues....another thread)

wild_weasel

Single-Sixer
I've had a P-95 for a couple years and love it, it is the newer stainless steel version with textured grip. I've put over x1000 rounds of WWB FMJ and Remington JHP through it, with only a couple FTFs the first time I fired it. I attribute the FTFs to limp wristing on my part, but have had no issues for at least x950 rounds.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I have carried a P95DC for well over a year. I holstered it after the first 200 rounds were flawless. I have over 1500 rounds through it and not a single failure of any kind. In any weather and no matter what ammo.

I trust it.

tk

Tekman

Bearcat
I bought a P95DC used a year ago. I've put over a 1000 rounds through it. Cheap chinese stuff too and it gobbled it all up without a hitch.