I did a dumb thing................

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I took this old Super Blackhawk to the range last Saturday, running just over a hundred rounds through it. (It makes me proud on the range. Makes me look good.)

Then came home and cleaned it. It has a Belt Mountain base pin and the little set screw worked loose. So, after the cleaning session, applied a little Loc-Tite to the set screw, and - OOPS! - too much. So I wiped off the excess, checked it over and put it away.

Last night I checked the gun again, first clearing the gun (my cardinal rule) then for some reason I activated the ejector rod. Or, tried to ~ it moved maybe a quarter of an inch back. I knew immediately what the problem was ~ Loc-Tite had seeped into the ejector assembly. No problem, I thought, take it off and clean it out. Well, that came off O.K. but then the base pin wouldn't budge.

So, remove the base pin latch assembly, place the gun in the padded jaws of a vise, and drive the pin out from the rear of the frame. This to get the cylinder out to clean up all the excess Loc-Tite. Well, got it all apart and cleaned up. Then lightly oiled again and re-assemble.

Be careful where you get that Loc-Tite. It does what its supposed to do!

Bob Wright

Mus408

Hunter
Did you use the Red or Blue? Yeah that stuff will seep around any gap!

tom black

Blackhawk
Bob,
I don't believe that story for a second. I think you just have a sadistic streak a mile wide an you enjoy rubbing your beautiful single actions under the noses of the less fortunate...me!
Tom Black

Skoopski

Single-Sixer
Dang Bob, that is a fine looking SBH. Loc-Tite is a wonderful thing, but can get you in trouble in a hurry. (Don't ask me how I know)

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
tom black said:
Bob,
I don't believe that story for a second. I think you just have a sadistic streak a mile wide an you enjoy rubbing your beautiful single actions under the noses of the less fortunate...me!
Tom Black

Now Tom, rubbing our noses, the less fortunate!!! Old Bob has some nice six shooters for sure. Every one he has shown on here would make me proud to own....

ditto1958

Blackhawk
rugerguy said:
Bob, you got it all smudged up and smeared on the cylinder frame, looks like it needs a better cleaning.

Nice gun......... 8) :wink:

Yeah, that frame looks all... er, blotchy. :)

Dale53

Blackhawk
I have had a good bit of experience with loc-tite. Many years ago, I mounted a scope mount on a rifle for a friend. Loc-tite is not the only thread lock liquid out there, but it is my choice. At any rate, I used too much. When it was necessary to remove the scope mount for other reasons, it was discovered that the loc-tite was between the recessed screw head and the side of the hole. The head was completely locked in and would NOT turn. I picked up the rifle, drilled the head of the screw out and we were "good to go". Understand, that is NOT an easy task. The screws are hardened and TINY! It was "white knuckled" all the way so as not to damage the fine rifle involved.

However, the idea is to LEARN from our mistakes. I developed a protocol with loc-tite from that day forward. I still use it. The screw in question and the threads in the hole (regardless of it's size or placement) gets the threads cleaned with alcohol (to get any possible oil off), then ONE drop of loc-tite on the threads. THEN, tear a small piece of paper towel off a clean towel. Use the torn edges to wick the excess loc-tite off the screw. You only need the surface of the threads to be damp with loc-tite. Any more than that is EXCESS.
THEN, carefully center the screw over the threads without getting even a "touch" of loc-tite on the surrounding area and carefully screw it home. Above, as stated above, use BLUE loc-tite.

After doing the above, I have NEVER had a screw loosen, the screws are easily removed when necessary, and NO PROBLEMS in the future.

More than you ever wanted to know about loc-tite. :mrgreen:

Dale53

Asltrfl

Bearcat
Been there done that too. Another solution that works is a pencil torch, but be careful it will ruin bluing and can only be used in certain circumstances. Also, a small tip soldering iron on the tip of a screw or small bolt will melt locktite most of the time, i've had good results using these techniqes, but no torching blued or stainless, works good on parkerized or anodized, just dont overdo it.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
The smart thing to do, or course, was to remove the base pin from the gun, remove the locking screw, coat it with a dab of Loc-Tite and re-install.

But, you see, the gun was already cleaned and assembled, and that little screw could be backed out enough.......................

And you see what happened!

Bob Wright

jack76590

Bearcat
I found the best way to remove Loctite is with heat. I especially like soldering iron to apply heat to specific/limited area. I use cheap soldering gun from Harbor Freight exclusively for this purpose as I do not want any solder residue to cause a problem.

You might consider using vibra tite as that can be more easily removed.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
tom black said:
Bob,
Tom Black

+2! :p

K1500

Single-Sixer
For things like that I have abandoned blue in favor of purple (permatex brand). It is made for removable fasteners such as set screws and allows for adjustments while resisting vibration. I am a big fan of it as it sets less firm than blue and you can adjust things while retaining the vibration resistance. It likely would have locked you up if you of too much on, but should be easier to undo.

41Gator

Bearcat
I know this goes against everything that's taught, but I have always oiled the threads, wiped off the excess oil, applied the Loctite and torqued to spec. Never had a screw come loose and when teardown time comes, screws come out and cleanup is easy. Works for me.

Latest posts