Huckleberry Pie Anyone?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zach Monroe

Bearcat
It's been a while since I have made a pie but I decided to make one for a gathering tomorrow.

Now the best pies start with a good crust. That means you have to make it yourself and not get it from the freezer at a grocery store.

101_2485.jpg

Then roll 'em out

101_2486.jpg

Of course you gotta have berries. These ones came from the UP, picked by my grandma and I. (they're still frozen here)

101_2487.jpg

After mixing part of the berries with sugar and some corn starch over low heat and then adding the rest of the berries you fill up the pie, and put the other crust on top.

101_2488.jpg

Then put it in the oven for 35-40 minutes, and there you go

101_2489.jpg

Hugh

Buckeye
Hmmm, that looks good. Blueberries here, don't stove top them. Into the crust with the sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon. Had a lot of huckleberry pie and jam while growing up though.

callshot

Blackhawk
Darn it. Now I am hungry for one. Too bad that I am lazy and won't be able to make one. I found that cherry pie with some huckleberries also is quite good and don't take as many berries as just straight huckleberries. Is there any ladies out there that want to make me a pie? :roll: :wink: Steve

Hugh

Buckeye
callshot said:
Darn it. Now I am hungry for one. Too bad that I am lazy and won't be able to make one. I found that cherry pie with some huckleberries also is quite good and don't take as many berries as just straight huckleberries. Is there any ladies out there that want to make me a pie? :roll: :wink: Steve

well, I'm not a lady, and don't pretend to be. However comma, here's a little information. I happen to have two pounds of cherries in the freezer, and blueberries as well. So here's an idea:

CHERRY & BLUEBERRY PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING

INGREDIENTS:

Filling

1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp corn starch
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 16 oz package frozen cherries (not thawed)
1 16 oz package frozen blueberries (or huckleberries)

Streusel

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (1/4 lb) unsalted butter, room temperature

Crust

1 unbaked pie crust

DIRECTIONS:

Remove cookie sheet and broiler pan, and place an oven thermometer in the oven. Heat oven to 450°F. (Wait until after the oven thermometer reads 450ºF.)

Topping: Make topping before filler. In a bowl, combine dry ingredients, and then cut in butter thoroughly.

Crust: Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie pan. Cover crust with a layer of streusel; approximately 1/3 of streusel. (I use a deep Emil Henry 9-inch earthenware pie dish.)

Filler: Spoon cherries and berries into crust-lined pie pan on top of the layer of streusel. Sprinkle mixture of sugar, corn starch, and cinnamon on top of berries.

Place the pie in the oven directly on the oven grate or on a baking stone, and bake for 50 minutes or until topping is golden brown. After 35 minutes remove the pie and spread remainder of streusel over the pie; be sure to leave vent openings in the top. Reduce heat to 425ºF and return the pie and bake for another 15 minutes. (The oven grate is about 6-inches above the heating element.)

On Thanksgiving day at supper my daughter exclaimed that my peach streusel pie was the best pie she had ever had. The pie was warm and topped with French Vanilla ice cream. The cherry and berry would be good served the same way.

Bribe your neighbor ladies with this recipe, and they just may bake a couple of them for you.

gunzo

Hunter
There are no hukleberries in my neck of the woods that I'm aware of. So I'm ashamed to say that I've never tried any.

Is there a taste comparison to any other berry?

The pic of that pie has got my mouth watering. Gotta try em someday!

Zach Monroe

Bearcat
gunzo said:
There are no hukleberries in my neck of the woods that I'm aware of. So I'm ashamed to say that I've never tried any.

Is there a taste comparison to any other berry?

The pic of that pie has got my mouth watering. Gotta try em someday!

Huckleberries are wild Blueberries. So the taste is much like the big plump blueberries. But it is always much better because these you have usually went out to your favorite spot in the backcountry and then spent hours bent over surrounded by nature. Picking them is also typically a family venture for us so that makes the taste that much better.

gunzo

Hunter
Thanks for the reply Zach. Guess I've tried them afterall. Had some once on a mountain top in Tn.

Blueberrys are one item on a very short list of foods I don't like, oh well...

But for those that do like em...Enjoy!

callshot

Blackhawk
Thanks Hugh. I may have to buy a Hostes pie at the store for now. When they went to .09 from .07 I said I would never buy another one. Now they are $1.50 or so. If I can't get my belt around my fat gut any more, I don't think I need a pie right now. :p :roll: :wink: If I break down, maybe I'll have to have a huckleberry milk shake. Thanks Zack for reminding me about the berries. Steve