How to solve unintentional doubling ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
Go to this link, scroll down, and perform the function test for the discconnector. If it fails, call Ruger and send it back. If it works as designed, you have an issue with your grip and trigger finger control. Try adjusting your grip so you are squeezing the gun a bit between you thumb and inside edge of the base of your trigger finger leaving the end of the finger pad free to press the trigger.

Coop

Blackhawk
You may be experiencing what is know medically as a "retention tremor" in your firing/trigger hand, which may cause you to involuntarily re-engage the trigger after shooting the first shot. It is treatable medically.

Do you have similar problems with other semi-auto firearms?

SR_Guy

Bearcat
Thank you all for the extra advice on things to pay attention to. I was hoping to hit the range this past week-end but didn't get to do it. I'll try to keep all this in mind when I do.

A few follow-ups below.

FusionDave said:
just to rule something out, if you have a set screw in your trigger to adjust reset, make sure it is adjusted towards the face of the trigger, while you work on your issue.
Is this the over-travel adjustment ? Set it to allow more over-travel and a longer reset ?

Pocketfisherman said:
Go to this link, scroll down, and perform the function test for the discconnector.
Somehow I'm not seeing a link. Could you please post it again ?

Coop said:
"retention tremor"... treatable medically. Do you have similar problems with other semi-auto firearms?
I sure hope it doesn't come to a medical solution ! 1911s are so far the only gun type I've experienced this problem with. I don't seem to have it with the SR9c/40/45. I also tried a Beretta 92FS around the time this started and that was OK too.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Before you go changing anything on the gun:

I had one do that to me several years ago. It was a comp gun with a
two pound trigger that was also short reset. I was working the plate
rack and hit two plates with one pull of the trigger (gun was swinging
across and I hit the right edge of one and the left edge of the next).

I had others shoot the gun with no problems, SO, I went to looking
closely at what I was doing. Turns out that I had too relaxed a grip.
The recoil of the first round set the gun far enough into my hand to
reset the trigger and when the slide went forward, you guessed it, it
fired again.

For mine, it was just take a firmer grip on the gun.
That does NOT mean try to break the grip, just tighten your grip a bit
and try again. Solved mine completely.

olyinaz

Bearcat
I've had it happen, and always it was when fatigue had set in and I was losing my grip. Time to take a break in my case. In your case I think you're just in need of a firmer grip (not a death grip - just think "control") and improved trigger/shot follow through. Double action or striker fired autos are less apt to exhibit this problem because they often times have long trigger reset movements necessary to get back to ready to fire. Not so the 1911. As another poster suggested, the distance it rocks in a loosely held hand is enough to reset the trigger (or move the finger away from the trigger), and then the slightest flinch or even the slide ramming home will trip it again.

It's all about control and follow through. I've seen a novice empty a full magazine on what seemed like full auto fire in an extreme case of this problem (gets your attention on the firing line), and I've read of people getting hurt as a result. :shock:

The internets is your friend - read up. :)