How to solve unintentional doubling ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SR_Guy

Bearcat
I've got an SR1911 and an SR45 among other guns. After firing mostly the SR45 in the past year (trying to figure out what factory or reloaded ammo it likes), I recently went back to the 1911. To my great dismay, I found that I am now firing unintentional double-taps. Not always but more often than I'm comfortable with. I've tried with other 1911s (my girlfriend's SR1911, a rented S&W and Springfield, a friend's Para) and got the same results with all but the last one, which had a longer trigger pull.

With multiple guns tested, as well as varying ammo, I am pretty much convinced it's somehow my fault. I figure I need to retrain myself, and I'm thinking of using a live round followed by a snap cap for that (to see if the hammer falls on the snap cap). The big question is: what should I be working on and how ? I've read that a loose grip might allow the gun to move enough to cause an unintentional second trigger pull after recoil. At the same time, other opinions state that a "death grip" (tightening the fist, including trigger finger, to try and control the recoiling handgun) might be causing that.

Has anybody here successfully fought this problem ? If so, what did you find that worked for you ?

I'm also curious why I'm only seeing it with 1911s but not on my other polymer SRs. Could it be the single action compared to the striker mechanism ? Am I doing the same thing but the latter needs more effort to fully cock and doesn't go off ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Snake45

Hawkeye
First place to look on a "doubling" 1911 is a broken or weakened or perhaps dirt-fouled leaf on the sear spring.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
First place to look on a "doubling" 1911 is a broken or weakened or perhaps dirt-fouled leaf on the sear spring.

My first reaction was to sideline my gun until I could call Ruger to have it checked. But after having the same problem on other 1911s it seemed less likely to be a mechanical problem and more likely that it was me (the only thing in common). I might yet call Ruger for piece of mind. Thanks for the input.

Mike J

Hunter
Is there someone else you could get to shoot the pistol to see if the same thing happens with them. If it doesn't maybe you should get someone to watch you shoot & see if they can spot what you or doing. That or try shooting it like a DA revolver & let the trigger go all the way forward as soon as the shot breaks.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
Mike J said:
Is there someone else you could get to shoot the pistol to see if the same thing happens with them.
My friend tried the rented Springfield too, while a range officer tested to rented S&W (it was the same night at a range near my friend's place). Neither one of them had the same issue.

Mike J said:
If it doesn't maybe you should get someone to watch you shoot & see if they can spot what you or doing.
The range where I shoot is usually desert (kinda nice but not helping me in this case). I might be able to talk somebody into going with me. Thanks for the suggestion.

The aforementioned RO didn't watch me (it never occurred to me to ask) but his opinion was that I was allowing the gun to move in my hand and the trigger to reset too soon and his explanation sounded like bump-firing.

Mike J said:
That or try shooting it like a DA revolver & let the trigger go all the way forward as soon as the shot breaks.
That's interesting. I don't have any experience with revolvers but so far my tendency with guns would be to keep the trigger all the way back for follow-through. But if I'm not doing it right, this conscious effort may be causing me to squeeze the trigger again.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it and I do need to get back out there with somebody who can watch.

DGW1949

Hunter
Snake45 said:

I'll second that.
Assuming the gun is up to spec though, I'd be working on my grip, trigger finger and "follow through".

DGW

bigboredad

Blackhawk
It sounds like you need to ease up just a bit on your grip. I doubt all 3 1911's have the same problem. I'd look at your grip is tight or do you hold loosely? Do you release your trigger til it just resets or all the way forward

anachronism

Single-Sixer
It kind of sounds like a ferocious flinch. You may be hitting the trigger while anticipating or trying to fight recoil.

anachronism said:
It kind of sounds like a ferocious flinch. You may be hitting the trigger while anticipating or trying to fight recoil.

I've seen folks unintentionally double tap my 1911's. In every case, it's been an inexperienced shooter, and I could not discover what they do different to cause it. It seemed to be a flinch reaction to me.

And that's not to say the OP is inexperienced. I'm just sharing what I've witnessed.

WAYNO.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
bigboredad said:
It sounds like you need to ease up just a bit on your grip... I'd look at your grip is tight or do you hold loosely?
That's where I'm perplexed. I never gave it much thought and now I'm finding myself wondering if I need to go tighter or looser, or if it's something else entirely. I tried tighter but still had occasional issues. Maybe I need to go in the opposite direction and relax (not strangle it but not let it flop either).

bigboredad said:
Do you release your trigger til it just resets or all the way forward
When everything's under control, I release until I feel the reset and get ready for another shot. I don't release fully until the magazine is empty or I go back to the ready position, at which point my finger goes back to rest along the frame/slide.

Mike J

Hunter
I might be wrong but I think this is a trigger control issue. What I think is if your SR45 has more slack in the trigger than your SR 1911 you may be letting the trigger reset then when you try to take up slack like you would on your SR45 you trip the trigger again causing the double. Of course I could be wrong I'm not there. That was why I was suggesting shooting it like a DA revolver. If you don't let a DA revolver trigger go all the way forward before pulling it again it wont work right. At least my old Dan Wesson wont.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
anachronism said:
However it first started, I would concur that it is now a form of flinch, as I am now somewhat apprehensive with the 1911. I hope the live round + snap cap exercise I'm thinking about can help me recondition my mind because I should know that it's safe.

WAYNO said:
I've seen folks unintentionally double tap my 1911's. In every case, it's been an inexperienced shooter, and I could not discover what they do different to cause it. It seemed to be a flinch reaction to me.

And that's not to say the OP is inexperienced. I'm just sharing what I've witnessed.
My experience has been shorter than a lot of you (only 2 years), so no offense taken. I just hope I can learn to get over this and go back to enjoying my 1911 like I did before.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
Mike J said:
I might be wrong but I think this is a trigger control issue. What I think is if your SR45 has more slack in the trigger than your SR 1911 you may be letting the trigger reset then when you try to take up slack like you would on your SR45 you trip the trigger again causing the double.
It did cross my mind that the SR45 allowed me to be complacent and get away with it. Then the 1911 is showing me I still need to work on it.

Mike J said:
That was why I was suggesting shooting it like a DA revolver. If you don't let a DA revolver trigger go all the way forward before pulling it again it wont work right.
It would make sense that removing the trigger finger should prevent a second shot. But I thought proper follow through included continuing the trigger pull until "done". So that's what I was trying to do. Though maybe inconsistently.

Mike J

Hunter
Forget about what I was posting SR I think DGW summed it up best. Sometimes I get to thinking wrong & sometimes I just don't communicate well.

I really think you are just going to have to take some time & relearn your trigger.

SR_Guy

Bearcat
Mike J said:
I really think you are just going to have to take some time & relearn your trigger.

Nod. And I'm willing to do it. I was just hoping somebody had previously narrowed it down to a specific aspect to work on. At least with the snap cap idea I feel better about working on it without the risk of sending bullets into the ceiling or over the berm.

FusionDave

Bearcat
Yes, you really can't compare the SR45 with the 1911's, as the triggers reset differently. It does come down to trigger control, but just to rule something out, if you have a set screw in your trigger to adjust reset, make sure it is adjusted towards the face of the trigger, while you work on your issue. If you aren't concentrating on your finger position, during recoil the trigger can reset and fire again. When firing, try concentrating on holding your finger/trigger in the depressed position until the recoil cycle has completed, release and try it again. This should fix your issue and you'll get used to where your grip and finger need to be. But going back and forth between the SR and 1911 isn't doing your muscle memory any favors. Hope it wasn't too long.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
You might try keeping the trigger pressed until you decide to either shoot again (catch the reset) if not release the trigger. I think your probably trying to catch the reset out of habit.

jimjc

Single-Sixer
I`ve seen this before, it`s because the shooters grip tightens up, releases pressure, reset sets and the grip tightens again an recoil shoots the second shot. Working on consistent grip pressure will resolve this. Have the trigger set a bit heavier by a gunsmith while practicing then at some point you can have the trigger adjusted back..

bigboredad

Blackhawk
For me I was squeezing way to tight. For some reason Ifelt it needed the same grip tension as my full loaded .475 bfr with slick grips and at the time I was shooting a lot of the .475's. Once I started thinking about what Iwas doing different during dry fire I realized my grip was a lot less. Once I eased up on my grip the double shots quit and my groups size was cut in half. Ymmv