How often do you clean your chambers in a cylinder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

akmania

Single-Sixer
Depends. If you're shooting Specials in a Magnum frequently. I try not to use Dirty Powders if I can help it.
I was talking about rimfires, I've polished some of mine.After cleaning them they load easy then after about 2 or 3 cylinders they get harder to load the shell in the cylinder.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I pull a bore snake through the holes when there is noticeable resistance loading or extracting cartridges/ cases. Very dependent on the ammunition. With some of the inexpensive bulk stuff, that may be after only five or six cylinders-full. Ammo with cleaner powders may go three times that. I do know my SS and Bearcat have incredibly tight chambers, as I have never had to clean as often with other 22s, even using the same ammo.

A .22 stainless steel chamber brush from Midway. I use a .38/.357 chamber brush on .357 revolvers to clean up the carbon/lead from shooting .38. :) The cost of mailing is more than the chamber brush so wait for free shipping or put together an order worthy of the shipping cost. I really like the chamber brush for revolvers.

Chief 101

Hunter
If my hands don't come out of a revolver range session black with soot then I didn't have enough time to shoot much. As far as cleaning, I try to keep them shootable. If a bad dude wanted to take my revolver from me he would know I knew how to use it by looking at it...I like to spend my time with guns shooting so as far as cleaning chambers on a 22 revolver, only if I think it needs to be done and that would be seldom...

There are firearms that don't need cleaning. They'll run forever. Why, we won't even issue cleaning kits. That will save a bundle. Of course the the M16 started getting folks killed.

I'll stick with what dad taught me and clean after each use. Then again, a perfectly clean M16 still failed. So on some POS weapons it doesn't really matter.

epags

Single-Sixer
When it gets hard to insert a new round. That can be during a session (I use a bore snake) and when I clean a revolver/pistol after a session (or two). Cylinder and barrel.

My experience is if you're using waxed or "greased" lead ammunition you will need to clean the chambers more frequently than you would with plated .22 ammo. That waxed stuff will leave more residue.

Latest posts