How I spent my day.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My niece asked me to go with her to pick up a clock she had repaired down near Tunica, Mississippi. This was a wall clock that hung in her Dad's work place. Its in an oak case, and stands about four and a half feet tall. It is weight driven, but has an electric motor to raise the weight. this every twelve hours. She offered to buy my lunch also.

So she picked my up and I loaded my dolly into the back of her SUV. We drove down to Tunica, and as a passenger, I enjoyed the view as she drove. We ate at a place called the Blue and White Cafe, which dates from 1927. Formerly a full service station with attached cafe. Good Mississippi catfish for lunch. Then to pick up the clock.

Now this thing is HEAVY! And the clock repairman was a grouchy old man who simply sat in his rocking chair as we inquired about the clock. How to reattach the pendulum was our question and he tried to explain without getting out of his chair. I finally got tired of fooling with his explanations and decided I could figure that out myself.

So, my niece paid him, and without of his help, got the clock loaded and safely padded into the back of her SUV. And we drove back to Memphis. At her house we snaked it in around the kitchen appliances and into the den/breakfast nook. After some trial and error I finally got the pendulum reattached. Then restrung the drive chain from the motor and waited. The clock began to tick, the hands moved, the motor started and shut off when the weight reached the limit switch. All was well!

So that is why I was seen in Tunica, where the gamblers are, and with a woman not many folks knew.

Bob Wright

Sounds like fun, I love those old clocks and have several that show the correct time twice a day. Hmmm. I do have one and asked about getting it fixed. The trouble is, it's LOUD! And if it's running, it's got to stay running, otherwise it goes back to it's current condition of showing the correct time twice a day.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
Thanks for the explanation Bob.... I was wondering why you were there with that younger gal..!!! Yup, the rumor reached all the way up here..!!!

p.s. when living in Mn. I went to work on a Monday and was asked why I was driving my Corvette in Lake City over the weekend with a blonde "who was definitely not your wife"..... Love small towns despite the lack of anonymity....

J.

Latest posts