How I Grip a Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunboat57

Single-Sixer
I discovered something today I wanted to pass along.
Some years ago I bought a used but virtually unused stainless Redhawk, 44 Mag, 7.5" barrel. I shot some reduced power loads for a while. But when I loaded some normal power loads with 250 gr LSWC bullets, I started hurting. The rosewood grips would really sting the base of my thumb. I bought a set of Pachmayr Decelerator grips which helped a bit. Then I got a set of Pachmayr Presentation grips. Even the fat Presentation grips didn't take away the "thumb sting".

Well, it turned out my thumbs were the problem. For some reason the MCP joints in my thumbs are virtually inflexible. So when I grip the Redhawk in the usual way, the grip digs into the side of my thumb. Ouch. But I was looking through some old publications on revolver target shooting and saw a picture of a high thumb style grip. Basically, keep the thumb straight and slightly elevated. Recoil is absorbed mostly in the palm. I tried it with the Decelerators and voila!, no more thumb sting. I rest the thumb of my off hand against the frame and get good control.

This might work well for more "mature" shooters who might not have as much flexibility in their hands due to arthritis or what have you.

pisgah

Buckeye
The BS about "the proper way" to grip a handgun never ends. Fact is, the proper way is whatever is comfortable for you and allows full control of the gun.

pisgah said:
The BS about "the proper way" to grip a handgun never ends. Fact is, the proper way is whatever is comfortable for you and allows full control of the gun.

Is true. Ya just have to be willing to experiment a little.

:mrgreen: