How does FMJ ammunition affect an SR9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pisgah

Buckeye
Using it for what? It certainly won't hurt the gun, and for target shooting/plinking it is usually more economical. For self defense, hollowpoints are generally more effective for quickly disabling an attacker, plus they reduce the chances of an overpenetrating bullet hitting an untintended target.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My own SR9c, and Rugers in general, eat anything. I suppose over the course of thousands of rounds jacketed bullets will wear the bore faster than lead slugs. My current 9X19 defensive round is factory RWS 124 grain FMJ. I live out in the country where trouble is as likely to be on four legs as on two and I like the idea of putting two holes in the target.

Today's premium (read: expensive) hollow point and expanding point bullets are excellent, especially the Speer Gold Dot, Winchester PDX, and Hornady XTP and FTX. My tests with revolvers and autoloaders on several different media indicate that, as a general rule, cheapie hollow points do you no favors. They often don't expand or do so unevenly, creating a lopsided wound channel. I think a quality, relatively heavy for caliber FMJ is nearly always a better choice.

I've found that flat point lead bullets generally test quite well. They expand enough to create a decent wound channel but don't turn into sunflowers, and penetrate quite well. They're dirt cheap and very accurate too, the only downside is that to get the best performance out of cast bullet ammo you really need to handload.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Ditto on the SR9C eating just about everything.

Mine Scarfed-Down 1,700 rounds of Wallyword Cheap-O UMC and Winchester FMJ recently without so much as a burp...however, the first couple of rounds in my concealed carry magazine are 124gr Speer Gold Dot 9mm +p ammo...whilest the followup rounds are all Corbon 100grain Pow-RBall 9mm +p (1,400+ fps central nervous system zingers).

Haz

freedomcosts

Single-Sixer
Ferguson is aman after my own heart. I do carry the cheap HPs from Remoingotn though, and I think the difference would be pretty minor. The lighter HPs , if they don't expand, travel a tad faster. I have no problem carrying FMJs, the main reason is- I cannot afford to test-fire the expensive ones for 2-300 rounds, to be sure they will cycle. But I can shoot the Federal or Remington FMJs a whole lot more- therefore more practice- and then carry them with assurance they will work in my 9c. I fully realize the expensive ones may be better defensive rounds but...think if I COULD afford them I'd have to give those Critical Duty rounds a go. They seem to be the best these days.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
+1 to hyson...

Which is why I recommend CorBon's Pow-RBall 9mm +P ammo since it feeds flawlessly, first time, every time !

Haz

A

Anonymous

Hazama Yakiba said:
+1 to hyson...

Which is why I recommend CorBon's Pow-RBall 9mm +P ammo since it feeds flawlessly, first time, every time !

Haz

Thanks, Hazama. I hear good things about CorBon.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Thanks Freedomcosts. One inexpensive HP round that does perform quite well is the Remington UMC .38 Special +P 125 grain hollow point. I found they expand easily and penetrate well out of my Charter Police Undercover with 2.25 inch barrel. I think the key with these is the somewhat thin, scalloped jacket and large exposure of lead at the tip.

Latest posts