how do you shoot with a "ghost ring" or "One Ragged Hole"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Put the sights on. Practiced dry firing at about 10 feet in the shop. Everything looks great and it looks like I could hit an ant.

Go to the range. 25'. All over the place. Not sure what to look at or what the sight picture should be. With a blade front and square notch in the back I know to concentrate on the sights and let it wobble over the target (blurred). With the ring sight I really do not know how it should be. I guess the front sight should be in focus?

I am going to have to get awful close to make "one ragged hole" the way it is now. Any suggestions appreciated. On one of the guns I went from a ultra dot to a one ragged hole sight. I shot a lot better with the ultra dot.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
This is about the best pic I could find. May differ somewhat from your sights, but the sight picture should look similar. Fuzzy rear, sharp post centered. Your eye should take care of centering intuitively if you can maintain focus on the front post. Takes some practice and a solid shooting position - especially cheek weld. I suggest you use a rest at first to get used to it.

I've been using peeps since '58, so it's pretty easy for me, but they're not for everyone.

pic_Peep_Align.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yes, you just focus on the front sight. The theory is that your eye and brain will automatically put it in the center of the ring, or, at least, in the same place every time (everyone's eyes and brains are different).

I've done some work with ghost rings and have never found them to be any faster--and they're sure not more accurate--than a standard GI-diameter peep sight. I'm not a fan.

I readily admit that maybe I just need more experience with the things. A lot more, I imagine.

pisgah

Buckeye
Ignore the peep -- look through it, not at it, focus on the front sight, put it where you want the shot to go. Trust your eye. Once you get the hang of a peep sight, it is nearly as accurate as shooting with a scope and faster than any other sighting arrangement.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
How do you get a good cheek weld with a handgun? I actually try not to do that.

Just teasing. I guess I forgot to say that these 2 sights are on revolvers.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Peep sights/ghost rings work great on rifles. Not so well on handguns. To get a large field of view and for a ghost ring/peep sight to work well it needs to be close to the eye, I would say no farther than 5-6" for it to work for me.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
woodperson said:

I assumed a rifle. Never saw them on a handgun. Learn something new everyday. :wink: That being the case, you might never get a good sight picture due to the short distance between the sights and the distance from your eye. The angles are all wrong. Was this your idea or did someone talk you into it? :wink:

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IF YOU'D TAKE THE TIME TO READ E. E. Patridges' book on pistol sights [ YES that PATRIDGE ] you'll know why ' peep ' sights on pistols are at least as helpful as tits on the stud horse.
And so it goes...

Snake45

Hawkeye
woodperson said:

Get them off immediately, and get some real PISTOL sights on those poor guns.

There is no such thing as a "ghost ring" for a handgun, regardless of what anyone tells or sells you. The principle doesn't work unless the sight is much closer to your eye than you will ever hold ANY handgun. (And I have no intention of discussing or debating this FACT.)

Seriously. Lose those goofy pistol-peep sights ASAP and get something on there that actually works.

One thing to remember, you will not get as fine a sight picture with a ghost ring or something similar. But for old eyes like mine they are fast and accurate enough for most purposes.

As to how you hold, put front sight on target and squeeze.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I was intrigued by the thought of the one ragged hole sight long ago. Two summers ago I was able to try it. I was at a friends hog hunting. Borrowed a 4-5/8 BH in .45 Colt with said sights. Two dead hogs in seconds (bang, thumb hammer, bang, speed) at 30 yards tells me they can work just fine. These were itty bitty hogs too. (30 pounders)

So don't poo-poo what you haven't tried. Are they dead nuts accurate? No.

Are they fast? Heck yeah! Minute of hog fast.

All of the look through and concentrate on the front sight posts are correct. As are the "your eye will automatically center the post" comments.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
For the "old eye" shooters sometimes "tuned" glasses and yellow lenses will improve things. Worth talking to your optometrist about.

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
If it ain't broke then don't fix it. If you can see and shoot your conventional revolver sights why change. If you have trouble seeing and using your conventional revolver sights you might want to give the ghost ring type sights a try. They have worked well for me on my Blackhawk (It was my Blackhawk Dan used to kill his two hogs) which I use almost exclusively for quick shooting hogs in thick brush or night shooting hogs (legal in Florida).

s4s4u

Hunter
IMO, the key to shooting with a round rear sight is a round front sight. You center the circle in a circle and center that on the target. One can shoot nice groups with a proper target, round and slightly larger than the front sight coverage. This is a hunting setup, and it is quite effective, regardless of what the naysayers spew.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Went back to the range today. Shot much better with these sights. If I concentrate on getting the front sight on the target it seems to work fine. I moved back to 25 yards. It worked okay there too. I know I am going to stick with these sights for a while. I doubt my hole is as big as the one shown just above. I am at .218 ID with a pair of calipers. I do know that I reamed one that was smaller a little and it seems to work better. Easier to see the front sight. I am not a good shot and I think the sighting accuracy is good enough for me. I just need to get the shot off smoothly.

I like the pictures of the round front sight. Not sure how I am going to do that to my Blackhawks. Never really liked the stock front sight anyway. Maybe find some one to mill of the sight and cut a slot? Other suggestions?

Thanks for all the comments and insight.

Bill

Snake45

Hawkeye
If aperture sights work for someone, that's fine. But please stop calling them "ghost rings" because they clearly are NOT on a handgun. Calling a handgun peep sight a "ghost ring" demonstrates that one simply doesn't understand the whole ghost ring concept.