how do you shoot with a "ghost ring" or "One Ragged Hole"?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

s4s4u

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
If you look at the pics the "round" front sight isn't. There is a round insert into the square blade. I would assume it needs a patridge blade to start with though.

When shooting you don't even notice the frame around the fiber optic.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The eye naturally will seek the center of the peeps aperture to gain the most light as possible. You do this without thinking about it and the only thing you have to concentrate on is aligning the front sight with the target. For this to happen the ghost ring or smaller opening must be close to the eye and will not even be in the picture since you simply look through it and do not need to center the front sight and target in it by trying to align all three at once like must be done on a handgun. Thus it can not truly be called a ghost ring on a handgun but it's more like a buckhorn sight with the top closed.
Now you tell one !

Snake45

Hawkeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
The eye naturally will seek the center of the peeps aperture to gain the most light as possible. You do this without thinking about it and the only thing you have to concentrate on is aligning the front sight with the target. For this to happen the ghost ring or smaller opening must be close to the eye and will not even be in the picture since you simply look through it and do not need to center the front sight and target in it by trying to align all three at once like must be done on a handgun. Thus it can not truly be called a ghost ring on a handgun but it's more like a buckhorn sight with the top closed.
Now you tell one !
Close enough! :wink:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Been a while now since my first post about this. I needed the front sight higher. So I filed a groove in it and pinned and soldered a section of 5/32 brass rod along the top of it. So it makes a 5/32 bead sight for the front. Took me 2 tries to get it the correct height for the loads I use. Overall I like it and the large ring and the front bead will stay on this revolver. It is not perfect but it is pretty good. It is set up to group to the center of the front bead with my fast loads. With the cowboy loads I shoot off the top of the bead. Wish I could find some 170 grain lead bullets for it. (.41 Mag)

I have gotten really tired of the red dot sight on my other revolver so I took it off. Trying whether to do another round addition to the front sight or not.

If I get the sights worked out I may buy another gun and put the red dot back on this one. But for now I am enjoying shooting the lighter 9mm and .357 loads without the cumbersome and heavy sight on top.

For "precision" shooting at bullseyes, I found the peep was not as good as a square post and notch. But for "accuracy" I never found a better iron sight for hunting.

For target shooting, my "precision" goal with a handgun has always been 5 shots in one hole at 25 yds. Once I manage that, I attempt to sight in the gun for "accuracy" ... making that 5-shot hole coincide with the bullseye. For me, 5-shot holes with irons are easiest come by with the square post and notch... a benchrest....and closing one eye, while taking all the time I need.

For deer/hog hunting, I want to take that one-hole load and put them all in the kill zone...very quickly...shooting offhand....in the woods...with both eyes open. That's where the peep sight with a gold bead up front excels...as in shooting 1 gallon milk jugs at 50 yds, offhand, quickly, with both eyes open and practically never missing.

Pretty much the same reason a big fiber optic is better than a post sight for speed shooting.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
pisgah said:
Ignore the peep -- look through it, not at it, focus on the front sight, put it where you want the shot to go. Trust your eye. Once you get the hang of a peep sight, it is nearly as accurate as shooting with a scope and faster than any other sighting arrangement.

Yup. What he said. There's a reason military rifles have had them for years. They work.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
"One would hope the OP has figured it out in the past 16 months."

Not completely.

I am a slow learner.. But thanks for the thought.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
All but two of my rifles wear receiver sights from Williams or Lyman. My eyes have alot of trouble focusing on rear notch type sights on rifles and an aperture is exactly what I need. Oddly, I can use a notch type rear on a handgun just fine.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
FergusonTO35 said:
All but two of my rifles wear receiver sights from Williams or Lyman. My eyes have alot of trouble focusing on rear notch type sights on rifles and an aperture is exactly what I need. Oddly, I can use a notch type rear on a handgun just fine.

Many early Kentucky ML rifles have been found with more than one rear sight dovetails cut into the barrel. As the owner aged he no longer could focus on the rear sight and had it moved farther up the barrel away from his eye.
It is thought that the original peep sights were actually diopters mounted on target
Rifles to make the rear sight appear sharp. It was soon found that the notch rear sight was no longer needed. A diopter can be bought or made to mount on your glasses that will make the rear sight look as sharp as it did when you were young.
A pin hole in a piece of tape works quite well. Diopters have been used by target shooters forever.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Snake45 said:
woodperson said:
How do you get a good cheek weld with a handgun? I actually try not to do that.

Just teasing. I guess I forgot to say that these 2 sights are on revolvers.
Get them off immediately, and get some real PISTOL sights on those poo r guns.

There is no such thing as a "ghost ring" for a handgun, regardless of what anyone tells or sells you. The principle doesn't work unless the sight is much closer to your eye than you will ever hold ANY handgun. (And I have no intention of discussing or debating this FACT.)

Seriously. Lose those goofy pistol-peep sights ASAP and get something on there that actually works.
https://i.imgur.com/IVSJZdpl.jpg
cciRWt8l.jpg
,Here is an 80 yard target, 10 grs Unique with a red coated 240 MO Cast I will shoot with you Snake Nothing wrong with the peeps on mine
IVSJZdpl.jpg

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have them on a dozen Rugers, They certainly work for me. I have the Redhawk Gold Bead front sight on an Old Army, 6" Security Six with the One Ragged Hole peep. Give them a try!

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
Snake45 said:
woodperson said:
How do you get a good cheek weld with a handgun? I actually try not to do that.

Just teasing. I guess I forgot to say that these 2 sights are on revolvers.
Get them off immediately, and get some real PISTOL sights on those poo r guns.

There is no such thing as a "ghost ring" for a handgun, regardless of what anyone tells or sells you. The principle doesn't work unless the sight is much closer to your eye than you will ever hold ANY handgun. (And I have no intention of discussing or debating this FACT.)

Seriously. Lose those goofy pistol-peep sights ASAP and get something on there that actually works.
https://i.imgur.com/IVSJZdpl.jpg
cciRWt8l.jpg
,Here is an 80 yard target, 10 grs Unique with a red coated 240 MO Cast I will shoot with you Snake Nothing wrong with the peeps on mine
IVSJZdpl.jpg
Nothing wrong with peep sights on a handgun if that's what you want and can work well with. But thanks for not calling them "ghost rings" because if they're on a handgun, they're NOT ghost rings (unless you have the most unconventional pistol hold and stance in the history of gunpowder). :wink: :lol:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I have used peep sights for years. My 1892 Winchester, 25-20. Has Williams peep on it. I do not know what Ghost ring are, I guess. Time for research

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I have used peep sights for years. My 1892 Winchester, 25-20. Has Williams peep on it. I do not know what Ghost ring are, I guess. Time for research
Does your Williams have a screw-in aperture? (Most do.) Unscrew it and shoot aiming through the housing. Congratulations, you now have a "ghost ring." See how it almost disappears completely as you focus on the front sight?

I've run my own accuracy test of ghost ring vs. a regular-sized "peep" a few times. Sometimes there's no difference. Sometimes the peep is significantly more accurate. The ghost ring is never more accurate. The ghost ring is supposed to be faster, but it's not for me. In fact, I think it's actually slower (probably because I'm not 100% trusting the concept).

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Yes, threaded aperture. My grandfather had it installed in the 1950's. I like shooting with these peeps. And Glock calls them "Ghost Rings" I found several places that called Ghost Rings on a Google search. My accuracy with handguns improved with dry fire practice. Control front sight while hammer drops is name of game Do it the same way each time.

Seems to me that there are certainly a LOT of opinions, and most are from people who have never used one of these sights on a handgun. And you know what they say about opinions and a certain anatomy part...Everybodies got one. The One Ragged Hole sight seems to make the front sight more clear (to me) and to many folks who have a fuzzy front sight. It "MIGHT" not be as tight of groups that come out of those guns but I figure if you hit your target and are having fun shooting it, who cares. If you like it use it. If you don't, don't use it. I have had lasik sugery, I've also had cataract surgery. My vision is pretty good. I've tried those sights and I like them but at this point in my life, I use the standard sights better. Might not last me forever.

I also have a ghost ring sight on my Marlin 1895 made by AO Sights. Their front sight is NOT a bead. It's a post just like the front sight on a handgun. It is very fast pointing.