How do you carry your SR1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

VTXS

Bearcat
I was just wondering how you carry your SR1911 whether concealed or open carry. I just got my Bianchi model 82 yesterday and I really like it. The added feature of the retention device is a definite plus.

[img
IMAG0377.jpg
][/img]

I was wearing it around the house for few hours to get a feel for it, and it sits at a good angle and I like it on the strong side 3 o'clock. No issues in reholstering with pistol in hand and took only a few tries for re-holstering without looking.

Don Lovel

Hunter
I like those Bianchi models, used one for my 229 Sig when I owned it. I have not found a model in stock at my local stores that works for a 1911. I use a belt slide, simple, rides between my 511 Belt and waist of my jeans, usually the last inch of the barrel in my back pocket with a folded bandana keeping it in one spot. That belt slide has a clip that can be used and works real good for carrying in my bib overalls clipped on the side panel wearing it right this moment in my bibs, went to the grocery store awhile ago and it is sure easy to carry that way

Richbaker

Blackhawk
Crossbreed Supertuck.... IWB and pretty much unnoticeable. Got it when the AZ Constitutional Carry law was passed.

9mm Texan

Bearcat
Cross draw or Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig. Shoulder issues keep me from strong side carry, although I can appendix carry with a Yaqui.

VTXS

Bearcat
I like that brown basketweave and alligator print combination. Nice contrast.

HadEmAll

Bearcat
For me it's a large Tommy's Original gunpack under an untucked shirt. And two spare 7 round magazines in the middle and front pouches. Worn at 12 o'clock.

Very comfortable, and quick access due to the clever opening method of the Tommy's.

I did have an initial problem with the thumb safety getting wiped off a couple of times. I removed the thumb safety and filed a notch where the plunger bears against the safety in the engaged position. I deepened it gradually until I was satisfied with the increased effort to wipe the safety to the "off" position.

Wore it walking around downtown and surrounding areas a few days last week.

With a Ruger LCP in the weakside front pocket, I was very comforted by my two Rugers "buddies".

MYREDTAIL

Bearcat
i bought a MS Summer Special 2 from Brownells, For the warm weather use & in the Cooler weather I treated myself to a Beautiful Alessi Bodyguard Shoulder Rig. Best $$$$$$ that I ever spent on any shoulder leather. R.I.P. Lou Alessi for you are sadly missed by all.

accessbob

Bearcat
I vary with mine. I use a Sticky Holster IWB at times, depending on where I'm going, mode of dress, etc. Other times I have been using my Springfield Armory XDs holster OWB to carry the SR1911CMD and that has worked fairly well. I have gotten a Blackhawk Serpa CQC concealment holster for OWB which I've been using more and more.

Mus408

Hunter
Did you notice,with the Serpa holster,that the fit of the gun was a bit tight,causing it to drag a bit,when pulling the gun out? I called them and they said to remove the center finger piece that contacts the bottom of the trigger guard. That did help. Still wasn't as slick working as my Serpa for my Glock 23.

Mike J

Hunter
I was fortunate enough to be given a Galco Fletch holster by one of the members here. It conceals easily enough under a loose fitting untucked shirt.

accessbob

Bearcat
Mus408 said:
Did you notice,with the Serpa holster,that the fit of the gun was a bit tight,causing it to drag a bit,when pulling the gun out? I called them and they said to remove the center finger piece that contacts the bottom of the trigger guard. That did help. Still wasn't as slick working as my Serpa for my Glock 23.
Yes, it was a bit tight. I took out the D shaped piece that was held in place by the tension screw (I think that's what you were talking about) and it is fine for me. But then again I am using my CMD in it and not a full size. I used the #3 Colt 1911 model Serpa holster.

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
VTXS said:
I was just wondering how you carry your SR1911 whether concealed or open carry. I just got my Bianchi model 82 yesterday and I really like it. The added feature of the retention device is a definite plus.

[img
IMAG0377.jpg
][/img]

I was wearing it around the house for few hours to get a feel for it, and it sits at a good angle and I like it on the strong side 3 o'clock. No issues in reholstering with pistol in hand and took only a few tries for re-holstering without looking.

Those Bianchi carry loks are great holsters. More folks should try them. I use one with a Glock 26. Great!

JTQ

Bearcat
MnBulldog said:
Custom made for SR1911 by Dan Hillsman of Hillsman Holster Company in Brookshire Texas

Thanks for the picture. You don't see a lot of Hillsman holster pictures on the 'net, especially for 1911's. That looks nice.

Do you have a picture of the back side (I'm interested in the belt loop of the holster) with the gun inserted, if you don't mind.

Gunner4640

Bearcat
VTXS said:

[img
IMAG0377.jpg
][/img]

I know this may be a dumb question so please forgive me I just got my first 1911 commander I noticed your hammer is cocked, do you carry in that position?

JTQ

Bearcat
I know this may be a dumb question so please forgive me I just got my first 1911 commander I noticed your hammer is cocked, do you carry in that position?
If you are new to 1911's, or even if you aren't, nearly all 1911 users carry their pistol with the hammer cocked, and the thumb safety engaged. It is commonly known as Condition 1 or "Cocked and Locked".

You can carry your 1911 any way you want. However, for me, and many other 1911 users, Condition 1 is the most efficient and safest method for carrying the 1911.