Home Defense story.........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A little old lady told me this story some years ago of using a Super Blackhawk in a home invasion situation. The lady had recently been widowed, and lived alone. She kept her late husband's Super Blackhawk in table in their entry hall. The box of cartridges was the old Winchester Western yellow/ red X .44 Magnum, 240 gr. SWC.

One night she heard a noise from her entry and went to investigate. She drew the Ruger from the drawer just as the assailant, hopped up on drugs, burst through the doorway, taking out door, jamb and all, and burst into her entry hall. She fired one shot, knocking him back out onto the porch. She indicated the gun had raised her arms up over her head so she could not have gotten off a second shot. The assailant got up and ran out of her yard to the next where he fell and died.

She never mentioned anything in her story about blast or flash. She did say she wanted something more controlable, though.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Some one needs to help her with some 44 Special silver tips.

She told me this while we were in a gun shop, and she was trading the Ruger for some type of .40 S&W pistol, think she was looking at a Springfield.

Bob Wright

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
PriseDeFer said:
Why do we argue with success?

Well... kill a kid comin' into yore young-child's window with malicious intent. Then... suffer the consequences.

Sometimes... success is so costly... you wished you had grabbed the baby... and fled the house.

tinman

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
A little old lady told me this story some years ago of using a Super Blackhawk in a home invasion situation. The lady had recently been widowed, and lived alone. She kept her late husband's Super Blackhawk in table in their entry hall. The box of cartridges was the old Winchester Western yellow/ red X .44 Magnum, 240 gr. SWC.

One night she heard a noise from her entry and went to investigate. She drew the Ruger from the drawer just as the assailant, hopped up on drugs, burst through the doorway, taking out door, jamb and all, and burst into her entry hall. She fired one shot, knocking him back out onto the porch. She indicated the gun had raised her arms up over her head so she could not have gotten off a second shot. The assailant got up and ran out of her yard to the next where he fell and died.

She never mentioned anything in her story about blast or flash. She did say she wanted something more controlable, though.

Bob Wright

I'd say she controlled it just fine......

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Hellraiser said:
PriseDeFer said:

Well... kill a kid comin' into yore young-child's window with malicious intent. Then... suffer the consequences.

Sometimes... success is so costly... you wished you had grabbed the baby... and fled the house.

Not so in Tennessee. When home or self defense has been judged, then no crime has occurred.

Bob Wright

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
Hellraiser said:
PriseDeFer said:

Not so in Tennessee. When home or self defense has been judged, then no crime has occurred.

Bob Wright

25 years ago? I doubt it. And I am not talking about crime... I am talking civil. And I know what I am talking about.

Beyond the whole Magnum vs. Specials thing... I would consider a SA revolver to be a recommended home defense handgun only for the very experienced. (Who will mostly pick something else.) I wonder if she had ever even fired this gun before or how many years it had been? Half the time the inexperienced in that situation would forget to cock the hammer at all... or panic and jerk the gun and fire their one shot into the door frame or ceiling. Happy it ended well for her but she would be better off with something else. I would personally recommend a revolver to people who almost never shoot. Far less likely to have a ND when loading or unloading. A nice DA like a GP100. Then load it with something like .38 Special +P's. Buy her a box or two of the target wadcutters and encourage her to fire them off over a few practice sessions.

My grandmother kept a .410 single barrel behind her door for most of her life. She never had to use it but I know she used to actually take it out in the front yard and fire a few shots at cans just to be sure she didn't forget how to use it. Plus she thought it was a good idea for any curious types to see that little old lady living by herself was capable of resisting their attacks! (I can just picture her in the front yard in her going to church clothes rolling a few cans around!)

bogus bill

Hunter
Of course with just minimal training DA is preferred but there's nothing wrong with the single action as long as she still has the strength and slightly more training. One does not need the mag for self defense and the .44 special should kill just as quick with less muzzle blast and recoil. Cant argue with success.