Hollow point 45acp bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Recommendations for some bullets for self defense and best place to get them.

I know some will say buy factory ammo ect but looking for bullets i can reload, practice with, and than carry without costing a fortune. Been using Berrys fmj but would like something with less penetration and better stopping power.
Thanks

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
SIERRA's 165, 185, 200, and 230GR JHP bullets are the BEST we ever tested and and I've talked personally with men who've whacked the goblins with 'em in fine style !!!! FDRT!!!
And so it goes...

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Sierra's definitely have big hole hollow points and you can find Bullets easy to reload. Another is Speer Gold Dots. And they all so have big hole hollow points.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Just ordered 200 of the Sierra 230grn JHP from midway to try out. Thanks,

Looks like 5.2 grn of titegroup with a overall length of 1.210 should be a good load.

Wil Terry, could you share load data that was tested? Thanks

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I've used Titegroup with Cast Bullets and it shoots good
I just looked and I used Longshot with a couple boxes of GoldDots and some H-S6 with the Sierra's. Both bullets open up nicely. My estimated velocity is 800/825 fps
And I know I've use 231 with good success.

sixshot

Buckeye
I use a 205 gr cast HP with Winchester 231 powder & it shoots & performs great in my 45's, both auto's & revolvers. Badgers hate them!

Dick

wwb

Hunter
I load 230 grain round-nose Ranier Ballistics plated bullets for practice, and 230 grain XTPs for serious business.

Both are loaded with 6.6 grains of Longshot, and chrono just shy of 900 fps out of a 1911.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
OR actually carry 230gr jhp factory loads of.your preference , and practice with 230gr RN loaded by you to same vels .

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I just got back from the range where I finished testing a load for function and accuracy in my Ruger SR 1911 CMD. .230 gr. Hornady XTP , 8.0 gr. HS6 and WLP
Primer. Approx. 825 fps. , .2 gr under max.
Very cold out , enough to make your fingers hurt while loading magazines. 75 rounds
ran great and give some of the smallest groups I have ever fired with this gun.

wizofwas

Buckeye
I'm waiting for a Miha mold to get cut and shipped to try. 214 gr. with the deep HP. Other than the cost of the equipment, they don't come much cheaper than casting your own.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
DixieBoy said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
I just got back from the range where I finished testing a load for function and accuracy in my Ruger SR 1911 CMD. .230 gr. Hornady XTP , 8.0 gr. HS6 and WLP
Primer. Approx. 825 fps. , .2 gr under max.
Very cold out , enough to make your fingers hurt while loading magazines. 75 rounds
ran great and give some of the smallest groups I have ever fired with this gun.

Chuck, do you remember your Cartridge Overall Length for this recipe?

I love the Hornady offerings in .45acp, and load mostly 230 grain and 200 bullets by them. And I've
got a bucket load of HS6 that ordinarily I keep for loading the .45 Colt Blackhawk with cast bullets. This
would be great if I could find another accuracy powder for .45acp (besides my beloved Win 231). Thanks!

- DixieBoy

Yes. I just took the load from the Hornady manual. The COL is 1.230 .
Shoots very accurate and feeds like corn through a goose. Have fun???

98Redline

Blackhawk
I really am not a fan of the XTP bullet anymore. I have had on more than one occasion have them not open properly, either penciling right through or halfway expanding. Granted this is in game but it is enough that I will not carry them for self defense.

IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better self defense bullet than the 230gr Federal HST. Granted these are loaded ammo and you were looking to load your own, but this one is going to be very difficult to beat.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
DixieBoy , I like the way it meters and pressures are very low for given velocity.
I load HS6 under the 124 gr. bullet in the 9mm for some great loads also.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I finally got to shoot the sierra bullets i loaded. Velocity was 824 to 855. I was shooting at about 15yds with my P90. Groups were about 4-5 inches. Was trying to get the hollowpoint to expand but no luck even shooting clean through a 2x12 and lodging in 2nd 2x12. Shot through a couple 5 gallon buckets of water but bullets went though both and couldnt find it. Was hoping to see a alot of expansion with less penetration.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Galaxiedan said:
I finally got to shoot the sierra bullets i loaded. Velocity was 824 to 855. I was shooting at about 15yds with my P90. Groups were about 4-5 inches. Was trying to get the hollowpoint to expand but no luck even shooting clean through a 2x12 and lodging in 2nd 2x12. Shot through a couple 5 gallon buckets of water but bullets went though both and couldnt find it. Was hoping to see a alot of expansion with less penetration.

We have to check the bullet makers recommendations today. Some .45 bullets are intended for the ACP and some are intended for magnum handgun or rifles.
A 300 gr. Mag. XTP loaded to 850 fps in the .45 Colt handgun will zip right through a Deer without expanding at all. A 200 gr. XTP fired out of a rifle at 1700 fps will explode.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
2x12's aren't good test media. Hard to believe they went through both buckets of water. But I bet if you found them they were expanded.
I always liked duck taping old magazines together to shoot into.

DGW1949

Hunter
98Redline said:
I really am not a fan of the XTP bullet anymore. I have had on more than one occasion have them not open properly, either penciling right through or halfway expanding. Granted this is in game but it is enough that I will not carry them for self defense.

IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better self defense bullet than the 230gr Federal HST. Granted these are loaded ammo and you were looking to load your own, but this one is going to be very difficult to beat.

Trying to engineer a HP pistol bullet which will work as intended 'all of the time under most circumstances' would require a balancing act which may never be successfully achieved. Over the years, many have tried it. Thing is though, in spite of their best efforts, we still haven't come nearly as far as the advertisers would have us believe. Reason is, physics is physics...

just sayin'.

DGW