Hodgdon HS-6

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rclark

Hunter
This load is almost identical to one I flat out stole from Linebaugh for my Blackhawk .45 Colt. Same charge for
Keith bullets even going up to 280 grains or a bit more in bullet weight. A Winny Large Pistol and 13.0 grains
of HS-6 is one of the all time mid-range loads for .45 Colt.
Yep. Also, Brian Pearce lists it as a Tier 2 load up to 13.5g under the 280g bullet. So with that info, I can use my 13.0g load under my 255s in my medium frame .45s as well as the large frames. Win Win.

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
I don't think HS-6 is being discontinued, just another rumor like W231/HP-38. HS-6 is finally back at my LGS after ~2 years, so maybe it's headed your way too.

rattlegun

Bearcat
PO2Hammer said:
I don't think HS-6 is being discontinued, just another rumor like W231/HP-38. HS-6 is finally back at my LGS after ~2 years, so maybe it's headed your way too.

The Cabela's here in WA gets shelves full in at a time of HS-6, W231, Titegroup and Varget along with many others frequently if that tells you anything. :D

rattlegun

Bearcat
powder smoke said:
Cabelas is expensive for powder I stay outta there for powder. ps

Not now a days, $20 a lb. for Titegroup, yes $20 can't beat that. No LGS around here has been less than them powder and Cabela's discounts apply too.

contender

Ruger Guru
Powder prices are per can,,, & SOME of them are not full pounds.
Titewad, Clays, 700x, Intl Clays & PB are listed at 14 ounces. That's 2 ounces shy of a pound.
Trail Boss is listed at 9 ounces.

One pound cans of powder can range from around $20 a can to as much as $28 a can at places they buy in bulk & pass along the savings. Looking at my wholesale catalog I see that Titegroup is among the cheapest,,, while many of the rifle powders are the more expensive ones. HS-6 is priced in-between that.

It pays to shop around,,, and while Cabelas can be high on many things,,, if you are an aware shopper,,, use discount coupons or codes,,, as well as military discounts etc,,, you can often pay a very reasonable price.
Besides,,, remember,,, it wasn't that long ago,,, NO powder, primers were easily available. And in some places,,, there is still a shortage. By what you can, at a fair price, realizing all businesses do have to make money to stay in business. I avoid the gougers at some gun shops, gun shows etc.
Shop smart,,, and back on track with the OP,,, HS-6 is just one of many good powders out there.