High priced box. Why is it so expensive? Thanks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

...Who would pay a $1000 for a Pokémon card? ...

Maybe someone who knew they could sell it for $1500? Just about anyone knows enough about certain subjects or things, to recognize an opportunity. That's happened for me multiple times - although I admit that I know nothing about Pokemon cards!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Back in the 90's and 00's I got into collecting 1/16 scale die cast farm toys.
One time I scored a MINT Deere 7520 for $100 and that was pretty cheap at the time.
A few months later at a toy show I found a mint BOX only and shelled out $100 for it.
Later sold the tractor in box for $450.00.
My 1st wife's cousin got a pink Hot Wheels dragster in the late 60's or early 70's as a gift and threw it in a drawer because boys didn't play with pink cars. I think he got about $750 for it from a Japanese collector about 30 years ago. It was in the box and never played with. Stranger things than that have happened

krw

Blackhawk
I remember going to Tulsa in years past. Then start goin through your goodie bxs when you get home. Boxd Rugers and bxd Puma's!! Thise were the days when you cood buy them off random tables. I miss those days 😐. But I have had a Blast at Tulsa in years past

Dan in MI

Staff member
Jthe vast majority if gun people have NO clue as to the value of the "boxes" , as well as in the case of Rugers, the "shipping carton" the wrapping the guns is actually shipped out in...many time valued information is on these "wrappers" ( shipper) and not on the boxes them selves...so in reality it is the "package" that makes so many guns of higher value, and get the top dollars in selling, auctions, whatever the venue...:giggle:

I can vouch for this in a manner. Years ago I bought a barrel for my full frame Remington 870 20g. It came with Briley chokes from the factory. Somewhere down the line I realized I had a fairly rare barrel, as this was factory produced with screw chokes years before Rem Chokes came out. The box was fully labelled as having Briley chokes installed for Remington on the factory tags. This struck as something special when I bought it. While I do remember wanting to keep the box somewhere I got foolish and used it. Now I have a collectible barrel with no proof. I have contacted Remington a couple times about this barrel. The best I have gotten is an old timer remembering they did that but have no records and no way to prove it is what I know it is. Now I try to keep all my boxes even if I use the gun.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Back in the 90's and 00's I got into collecting 1/16 scale die cast farm toys.
One time I scored a MINT Deere 7520 for $100 and that was pretty cheap at the time.
A few months later at a toy show I found a mint BOX only and shelled out $100 for it.
Later sold the tractor in box for $450.00.
I collected records and was at a flea market in NJ around 1997. A guy had a box of 45 RPM records for 10¢ apiece. They were in awful condition but there were some random picture sleeves in the box as well. Most of those were crap too, but one was a John Lennon Mother/Why sleeve in about VG condition. So I asked the guy, if records were 10¢, how much for an empty sleeve? He kind of laughed and looked a little stunned, then he said to give him a nickel. I obliged.

As I was walking away, I heard him talking to his buddies. "Can you believe that moron? He bought a paper sleeve with no record in it! Made me a nickel for nothing!".

A week or so later, that sleeve was the very first item that I ever sold on eBay. It went for $87 + postage.

hittman

Staff member
My buddy Glenn ( 20 years ago ) was picking thru a box of Hot Wheel or Matchbox cars in a small town antique mall. I think they were something like "Your choice 50 cents each".

Some silly green Army "Officer Car"?? Ended up bringing him over $700 on eBay. Good to hit a home run once in a while.

No offense but kind of a dumb question and topic, really.
This post and some of the others you have posted makes me ashamed to say I live in Texas. After all Texans are known for being polite. Absolutely no reason for this rudeness to a NEW guy that has been on this Forum for less than 2 months.

Not long ago you posted this pertaining to "Magnum Marked" Single-Sixs. Could be you are not as knowledgeable as you think you are..

GasGuzzler said:
Cool. I have one too. The 6.5" convertibles of this time period were Magnums with an extra LR cylinder...opposite of the other barrel lengths. Mine has all the stuff to go with it too. I got lucky...bought locally, sold new in Dallas (less than an hour away). Mine was born in 1965.

I educated you in a nice way..

GG,
You have a Single-Six Convertible which came with the mag cylinder unlike the one in the OP witch is a "Magnum Marked" Single-Six Convertible (RSSMX) that came with the extra 22LR cylinder S/N range 300001-394740.
No "Magnum Marked" Single-Sixs were produced after 1964.
You do have a very nice package.

Your way of saying you made a dumb statement.
I do hope you try and be a weeeeeeeeeee bit nicer in the future" ;) ;)

I fiugred I had a detail wrong".