help with hammer sring

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1rebel

Bearcat
while disassembling my vaquero
the hammer spring got away from me
now i cant get it compressed enough to "pin" it until i can get it back in the frame
any suggestions???
i think if i had the right tools i could do it pretty easily but i dont have a vise to hold the strut
any help on this would be appreciated
thanks
1rebel

Bruce H.

Bearcat
Hello 1rebel, take a look at this link: http://www.cylindersmith.com/Ruger-spring.html
Sorry, I didn't originally see that you don't have a vise. Do you have a single-stage reloading press? That is what I use. I have an RCBS Partner Press. I take a 1/2" thick piece of wood and drill a 1/4" dia. hole halfway through the wood. I place this piece of wood onto the ram with the hole up, slide the mainspring over the strut and insert the rounded end of the strut into the hole in the wood. I use a metal kitchen fork to hold the spring near the top of the coils. I then push down on the press handle to raise up the ram and guide the strut through the space between the teeth in the fork and into the threaded top part of the press, where the die usually sits. The fork is pressed against the bottom edge of the top of the press. The fork compresses the spring and as the strut pops out of the top of the threaded hole in the press I put the strut seat into place onto the strut and insert a small nail into the hole in the strut. This method actually works quite easily. I hope that my explaination is clear enough.

1rebel

Bearcat
hey
wow that sounds like a pretty good idea
i thought abt trying to use my press but couldnt think of a way to do it
i'll give her a try
thanks
1rebel

the old fork trick works like a charm and it would be done, before you figured out and did it with the loading press, strong fingers, gloves,pliers or an old rag also work, but takes a bit of "practice".............

Enigma

Hunter
rugerguy said:
the old fork trick works like a charm and it would be done, before you figured out and did it with the loading press, strong fingers, gloves,pliers or an old rag also work, but takes a bit of "practice".............

I got in a hurry one day and did it with my bare hand; it was rather painful, but it worked. I'll use some type of tool next time...

Latest posts